Motability vehicle tracker

• Creator
    Topic
  • #105553 Reply
    Dandan1980

Hi guys, just after a little advice. We have just put in a application for our first motability car for my son who suffers from numerous health and mental conditions. After my son reading into Motability terms/conditions etc he has read that they sometimes fit tracking devices on vehicles. Obviously this is no issue whatsoever to me nor his other named driver,although as he also suffers from paranoid schizophrenia he know believes they will be monitoring and watching he’s every move! (I’m sure this is not the case noR the reasoning) I have a friend who currently  has a motability vehicle and she has never heard of this before. Can anybody shed some light on this? Will we be made aware of this happening before hand? If so, at what point of the ordering process will thiS  mentioned to us?I’m a little concerned as we have already paid AP to dealer and motability page states could lose part of deposit if cancelled. Thanks. 

Viewing 22 replies - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #105629 Reply
    Dandan1980

Thanks Lorraine, Sorry to hear that. I hope that Issue resolves for you soon enough.

#105633 Reply
    Tommy

The trackers are not used ethically, motability say in their own words that they only check the tracker if they are told by someone that you are abusing the car, well my mum recently moved house and about a month later she got a call from motability aski g why the car has been parked outside this new address for a number of weeks, my question is if they’re not allowed to track you without reason then why would they have rang her about new address?

#105638 Reply
    Lorraine12

Exactly my thoughts tommy. They definitely do track you regardless of a report being made. My car is used for all the right reasons and nobody really even knows it’s a mobility car therefore no one would know or have reason to report for any type of misUse. They can be a right pain in the bum. x

#105639 Reply
    Dandan1980

I suppose you really don’t know. If, why or when they use the data collected. Do you know  At what point was your mother was asked to consent to this fitting tommy? Ie before placing order? After collecting car etc?
    thanks.

#105645 Reply
    Tommy

She was told that unless we had it fitted we couldn’t have new car, that was with our current car but with the one we have on order now nothings been mentioned,

Go figure?

I think it’s unethical saying to disabled people that unless you allow us to track your movements you can’t have a car, we pay for the car like anyone else, can you imagine the uproar if they tried it with private buyers?

#105646 Reply
    Dandan1980

We  have just placed order a couple weeks ago at dealership. Nothing was mentioned to us before the application was approved so I’m hoping this means it won’t be necessary as my son would have a melt down at the thought of this.
    Yes my thoughts exactly.

#105647 Reply
    Dandan1980

So was she told this before the order being approved by mobility?
    thanks.

#105665 Reply
    Tommy

Yes they said if we didn’t agree to tracker we couldn’t have car

#105667 Reply
    Dandan1980

Thanks for clearing that up Tommy. I would of been forced to cancel order if they decided to do that, there’s no way my son would of made use of the vehicle and even if he did it would constantly be on his mind etc. Seems as our order was placed a few weeks back and been given delivery date of end of May. I’m assuming I’d of been informed by now!
    cheers buddy

#105669 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

in fairness to motability it is used primarily when there are multiple drivers and particularly when the disabled pperson isnt one of them. basically to stop it being used as a pool car for the drivers benefit rather than the disabled persons benefit.

theres a family down the road where the mother is the motability customer and the husband and 3 kids are the drivers and effectively the car is a pool car used mostly by the 3 kids as a group runaround. i reckon it will bite them soon.

#105672 Reply
    Dandan1980

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Mitch , under them circumstances I could understand a tracker being beneficial   I believe some people just feel uncomfortable having their movements tracked etc not because of misuse. I suppose that’s just how some people are. My son being one of them.</p>

#105676 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

I think the scheme is amazing and I have used it for the last 10 years although my most recent order was fitted with one and I personally think the trackers are a nightmare I’ve received so many calls questioning things! I can’t quite remember at which part of the ordering process motability asked me to consent to this as it was a while back (2 years ago) but I’m pretty sure it was early on in my application, maybe someone else could clarify this. Good luck x

Some hire cars have trackers and i guess these mb ones operate in the same way, if a parameters is met that’s been set, like going anywhere near a race track you”ll get a call or majorly speeding etc

I’m the sole driver and pip claimant but sometimes if needed, i add another driver for 30 days (usually it’s one of my brothers)  they live 140 miles away. When named driver/s are not the claimants and live at different addresses etc then it maybe more of an issue and a risk of missuse.

Could be random but i doubt it.. Surly it’s targeted  as I would frankly refuse, plus i don’t answer numbers i don’t know.

I guessing as you didn’t say which you where.. that you maybe not the claimant and that they don’t drive.

I’ve been on the scheme for 9 years, none of the dealer’s has never asked / mentioned a tracker or needing to findout about one.. My next car is on order for april. applications been accepted got my pin a week after ordering.

Think mb alot hotter on it these days, it’s is the only way they can make sure the car is being used under the terms of the scheme for the benefit of the person who needs it.

I would imagine your car was parked or used somewhere outside the 5 miles of the clamaints address and didn’t return for a while, but there are many legit reasons for that.. I doubt they called you randomly though as that would be misusing the tracking device installed abd there are different types..

Got to have some valid reason to justify calling you imo or i’d be contacting them or did you have to agree to that as well..

I not saying you done anything wrong but you could of been.. Missuse of the scheme and blue badges effects us all in the end. Plus i do think some of the rules etc not always compatible with life ie daily use using a car is a grey area when you not the claimant, because of the few the many have to suffer be made to feel like a cheat when you not… Life is hard enough for carers or parents with kids with issues etc.. these ppl should be rewarded..

#105677 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Interesting thread on trackers. I imagine the Motability tracker would be like the standard BMW tracker in that it sends details of the last location when the engine is turned off, rather than tracking the route being driven which would be very data intensive.

I just checked where our X1 is and it’s inside the workshop of Marshalls BMW Bournemouth where it should be, having its first service today (at 18 months and 15,000 miles).

#105680 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

hi dandan1980, i fully appreciate where your coming from i have several freinds ex forces who due to ptsd and the like have similar issues and they too would have real problems if anyone asked for one to be fitted. but also i think motability would take that into consideration.

#105689 Reply
    Debs
    Participant

I just checked where our X1 is and it’s inside the workshop of Marshalls BMW Bournemouth where it should be, having its first service today (at 18 months and 15,000 miles).

Is that a tracker that you have had fitted or is it something that comes as standard with new BMW’s

#105707 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Standard fit on BMW, Debs, and I believe on Mini too.  Very useful part of the BMW Connected app is locating where you left the car and showing you how to get back to it!

#105712 Reply
    Noel

Yeah Mini has it too, but location tracking can be turned off on the cars idrive.

#131928 Reply
    William Coyle

Hi guys , I have a Mercedes GLA 180, No upfront costs , got the car Feb 19 , just before the 19 plate , car had mercedes  vehicle monitoring , that started a few months after purchase , very handy as I could check the car was where I left it , especially when in Edinburgh with their parking passes.:). It’s now on a payment scheme £29 per year, don’t mind paying as the car is keyless and a scumbags dream (bought 2 protective cases 1 for each key) . do you think it’s unreasonable to ask motability to go half on the protection, it’s their car but my resposability, Every car since 09 has been taken back in showroom condition meaning I’ve always recieved a bonus payment. I look on every car as a godsend and something I have been loaned for my comfort and help to get me around. PS , these cars are now thousands upfront.

#155523 Reply
    Zoe

My mum has just been accepted for a motorbility car, the car has been chosen. As my mum does not drive and I do all her errands and take her everywhere, im down as the driver. I don’t live wit  hun my mum but live 1 mile away. On speaking to motorbility they said they may need to put in a tracker which I was totally fine with, however my mums anxiety seems to have got worse. I’ve reassured her and when speaking to the dealership it wasn’t mentioned any further and didn’t say on the contract online. Anyway speaking to them today as was meant to collet tomorrow they have now informed us that we need to wait a further 10 days due to installation of the tracker. I’ve explained the delay to my mum who now does not want the vehicle as it’s causing her anxiety and feels they are invading her privacy. Is this the normal process? I’m not sure how they can say a car is ready, the contract not stipulate any such thing as a tracker and no further communications in regards to a tracker to then be told the day before collection?
    I’m trying to encourage my mum that it’s ok, but I’m not sure how this is going to pan out for her. The car is for the sheer purpose that it’s easier for her.

#155545 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

My mum has just been accepted for a motorbility car, the car has been chosen. As my mum does not drive and I do all her errands and take her everywhere, im down as the driver. I don’t live wit hun my mum but live 1 mile away. On speaking to motorbility they said they may need to put in a tracker which I was totally fine with, however my mums anxiety seems to have got worse. I’ve reassured her and when speaking to the dealership it wasn’t mentioned any further and didn’t say on the contract online. Anyway speaking to them today as was meant to collet tomorrow they have now informed us that we need to wait a further 10 days due to installation of the tracker. I’ve explained the delay to my mum who now does not want the vehicle as it’s causing her anxiety and feels they are invading her privacy. Is this the normal process? I’m not sure how they can say a car is ready, the contract not stipulate any such thing as a tracker and no further communications in regards to a tracker to then be told the day before collection? I’m trying to encourage my mum that it’s ok, but I’m not sure how this is going to pan out for her. The car is for the sheer purpose that it’s easier for her.

The fitting of a tracking device is covered in the Motability T&C’s  – see Section 3, Para 3.1:

https://www.motability.co.uk/car_wav_terms_and_conditions_02-21.pdf

It sometimes happens when the nominated driver does not live at the same address as the hirer. More so if you are a brand new or young driver and new to the scheme.

It sounds like the dealership may have initially overlooked the fact that the tracking device needs to be fitted, and have been somewhat late booking the appointment for its fitting. Hence the delay in you being able to collect the vehicle.

You could try speaking with Motability about the issue, explain your mother’s anxieties about it and see what they say.

#160767 Reply
    SidisgustedwithMB

Hello all,

I apologise for the username which in all honesty I would never use normally but the recent events concerning Motability leave me wanting to really express my disgust at this organisation.

I came here hoping to find some input on these tracking devices and was interested to see other peoples experiences.

My mother was on the scheme. I was the only driver and when ordering the car we discussed my address, how long it takes me to get to my mothers and the fact that I am often there once, twice and even three times per day. The dealership could see the difficulty she had in even attending to put the order through and had ample opportunity, which was taken, to discuss her reliance on me to do pretty much everything. At that time she was on a walking frame but in good spirits and more than capable of making decisions. All the paperwork was agreed and signed.

After a lengthy delay and enquiries made we were told the delivery date was being pushed back due to Covid19 having an impact. We accepted this. In the interim my mother mentioned to me MB had called and advised it may install a tracking device. Given that I am 55 and do not routinely go on cross country runarounds I thought no more of it. I was actually comfortable with that if that was the inclination.

My mother had multiple diabilities from COPD and Spina Bifida Occulta to Lewy Body Dementia. The LBD took hold and was very aggressive rendering my mother iniotially housebound to completely immobile and dependent on others with ever increasing numbers of carers attending to help. She had frequent falls and was taken in to hospital quite regularly until May this year. She died on 24 July, at home, in her sleep.

I have been sorting through her papers, of which she had a lot. I came across the most upsetting and legalistic notices I’ve ever come across informing her she may be in default of the scheme and following that that she was in default. The reason given is that she was told a tracking device may be required and it had been supplied without one! To my mind, this equates to we’re holding you responsible for the failure of our nominated dealership failing to carry out something we may have wanted. Maybe I’m too close to this subject and its a bit raw for me at the moment – I don’t know. As an aside I’d love to know what a customer is meant to do to ensure the dealership has carried out all of the wishes of the scheme to ensure they do not get held responsible in this way? Should I have gone underneath to check for this device (which I haven’t got a clue about anyway), should i peer under the bonnet looking for it, still unable to identify it unless it was stamped TRACKING DEVICE?

Today I returned home from the funeral directors. Despite everything I was in reasonably good mood. Behind the door I found a card left after a home visit from some company called engage – advising me they had called to discuss the account or a sum owed. This is wonderful, not to mention incredible. No money can be owed as it is/was funded directly. Moreover the vehicle is actually in the MG garage being repaired after dying weeks ago so if they were looking to recover the vehicle, which they are welcome to, maybe they should join all the dots before doorstepping. They could even try contacting customers to discuss without trying to intimidate.

Following the MB complaint process I spent a lot of time emailing the dealership manager. I really do have much better things to be doing with my time, especially at this particular time. I followed the MB site store locator to the dealership and used the email address provided. I wasted my time. It was deemed undeliverable – incorrect address.

I haven’t spent this time venting. I suppose I have, but in reality I wanted everyone to get an understanding of how this clause in this scheme can be used, in my opinion, in ways that it shouldn’t be intended to and in a way that a customer has no control over.

I hope this informs others who might be wondering what’s the worst that can happen. I was happy to abide by this and the failure of others resulted in the above.

I hope this helps or informs someone in this process.

All the best

#160768 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

SidisgustedwithMB – First of all, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My father died last year and, like you, I had a lot of things to sort out afterwards. I presume that you have notified Motability that your mother has passed away? If so, they should have arranged to pick up the car (they give you a period of time after the death before they take the car back). That way there should be no further contact or hassle.

Trackers are an essential part of ensuring that the Motability scheme isn’t abused, such as by a family member who persuades someone to use their qualifying benefits for a Motability car when, in reality, the car will be used mostly by the family member for their own purposes. When I bought my daughter her first car (privately) she had to have a tracker due to her age. These trackers aren’t fitted by the supplying dealer. A separate company comes to your house to fit it within a few weeks of the insurance policy commencing. Reading between the lines, given your mother’s condition, I suspect that attempts had been made to contact her to arrange installation and  as (quite understandably) she hadn’t responded, the notifications were sent.

To be fair to Motability, until they know that your mother has passed away they are quite within their rights to chase up the fitting of the tracker and threaten to terminate the lease if this isn’t arranged. If, however, you had notified them of your Mothers death they should have arranged a date to take the car back. If you have already done this and they are still contacting you (or worse, your late mother) then that is clearly unacceptable. For all their faults, the staff on the Motability help desk are usually extremely helpful and my sense is that a phone call to them in the morning should resolve these issues. Good luck.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
Viewing 22 replies - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Reply #105633 in Motability vehicle tracker
Your information: