Motability rsa insurance Windscreen Excess

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  JS 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #95514 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

The last time i had a rear window replacement was in 2008 on a Citroen c2 3 door and i did not have to pay any excess but i notice on my new motability policy it states £50 windscreen excess and windscreen  repair nil does that mean that side windows are still nil as well.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #95517 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Touch glass I haven’t had to make a claim since 2012 and its about then I think they bought the excess in.

My Motability car back then was a Seat Leon with all the sensors on the screen for auto light, wiper and all that sort of stuff and I think that might be why they introduce the charge even though the actual sensors are not on the screen but involves a bit more labour time fitting the screens.

No charges for repairs like chip damage though.

#95528 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

I had my Grand Picasso screen replaced a few months after I got it (big stone chip on M25 at 1 week old). There was a long wait as they didn’t have any windscreens for it, but he had 6 booked for the week he did mine. I think the original glass was prone to chipping as I had 3-4 bad chips by the time he replaced it and never got another one afterwards over 60,000+ miles. Cost £50 excess as a replacement.

I was hounded by Autoglass for ages to get the sensors recalibrated – but the nearest centre for that is a 400 mile round trip to Glasgow. More importantly, my car didn’t have the sensors – something the fitter made clear to them when he ordered the screen originally. They only stopped calling/e-mailing me after I swapped the car out at the end of the lease. They just wouldn’t accept that they didn’t exist, despite the fitter telling them otherwise & me doing the same every time they called.

#95625 Reply

cb2011
    Participant

Never had a repair or replacement in 30 years of driving until i got the bmw x1 now had a replacement and a repair. Unlucky or something to do with the car ?

#95626 Reply

JS

I’m going to go all lawyer mode know. If The terms and conditions state windscreen! There is only One Windscreen.

#95738 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I had my passenger side window smashed earlier in the year and had to pay the excess!

#95744 Reply

JS

Then legally it must state Glass not Windscreen!

But I will stand by first statement, windscreen and glass are two seperate issues  . Glass is included in your policy if you got charged ask for a refund, as of the lastest up to date RSA policy Glass is included but windscreen is £50.

read it how you like but the facts are clearly set out. Note the forth pinpoint down plus it also implies you won’t get charged if the windscreen can be repaired. Click on the link and make your own mind up,

https://www.motability.rsagroup.co.uk/policy-whats-covered.html

#95759 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

However:

If your window or windscreen needs to be replaced, you must make a claim through RSAM. You will need to pay an excess amount of £50.

https://www.motability.rsagroup.co.uk/policy-windscreens.html

(which is a link from the page JS posted above – entitled ‘Windscreen and windows’ – top right of JS’s link)

Seems to cover window or windscreen.

I suppose being, pedantic, it should say window(s) in case of plurality.

Dave

#95765 Reply

Dragonfly

I think the position is far from clear, the information given by Motability in their summary is contradictory, the summary  does state  but you will need to read your insurance cover booklet for full details

The summary mixes up similar terms

Repair or replacement of glass

If your window or windscreen needs to be replaced, you must make a claim through RSAM. You will need to pay an excess amount of £50.

I suspect that the full insurance document will have the terms fully defined, glass, in my view would encompass window or windscreen however I doubt that the wording is so loose in full agreement.

#95767 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

I think the position is far from clear, the information given by Motability in their summary is contradictory, the summary does state but you will need to read your insurance cover booklet for full details The summary mixes up similar terms Repair or replacement of glass If your window or windscreen needs to be replaced, you must make a claim through RSAM. You will need to pay an excess amount of £50. I suspect that the full insurance document will have the terms fully defined, glass, in my view would encompass window or windscreen however I doubt that the wording is so loose in full agreement.

Just as an aside to this, in the aviation industry, there has been a distinct move away from using the term ‘glass’ for window/windscreen components.

This has been due to the fact that many windows in light (and some heavy) aircraft are made from non-glass polymer composites to save on weight and the fact that ‘glass’ is increasingly used nowadays to refer to instrumentation (as in ‘glass cockpits’ – meaning LCD/LED instrumentation as opposed to traditional dials/gauges).

Hence I agree the word ‘glass’ nowadays has such wide-ranging meanings, it more or less renders the word ubiquitous. So much so that the component (and not what it is made of) becomes the descriptor in general parlance.

Dave

#95769 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

However:

https://www.motability.rsagroup.co.uk/policy-windscreens.html (which is a link from the page JS posted above – entitled ‘Windscreen and windows’ – top right of JS’s link) Seems to cover window or windscreen. I suppose being, pedantic, it should say window(s) in case of plurality. Dave

Our learned friend may have overlooked that so the defendant is guilty as charged for wanton damaged to said glass window and a fine of £50 is payable.

I rest my case. ?

#95789 Reply

JS

Ha ha read/interpret how you like, if Any Glass on our vehicle is damaged or needs repairing we will not be paying a penny if our Windscreen is damaged we will not be paying a penny, if our Windscreen needs replacing we would be willing to pay £50.

From the original link.

What’s covered by your policy

Loss or damage to your car
    Accidental damage
    Fire or theft damage
    Repair or replacement of glass
    In-car equipment (such as a radio or CD player) permanently fitted or supplied with the car as standard
    Adaptations and modifications which are needed and which Motability have agreed to and which we have been informed about
    Any accessories or tools supplied with the car
    Replacement locks where keys have been stolen and the theft reported to police
    Driving your car for voluntary or charitable work, provided you don’t receive a fixed regular payment by the organisation
    Travel to and from your normal workplace.

What’s not covered by your policy
    Your excess (amount payable by you)

This is usually £100 but may vary depending on the age and experience of the driver. Details are given in your agreement and in your insurance policy document. If your car needs to be repaired you must pay the excess for each individual incident before the repair starts.

A £50 excess will apply if you need to have your windscreen replaced, rather than repaired. In most cases you will be expected to pay the excess before your windscreen is replaced.

Things can be read and twisted to suit and most companies will try it on, my simple but humble opinion is don’t pay for any broken or repaired Glass but expect to pay £50 for a replacement Windscreen and as a simple man I believe there is only one Windscreen @chrisk my lawyer comment was not implying I’m a lawyer it was a figure to speech to pin point there is only 1 Windscreen, I wasn’t aware we had lawyers in this country.

I apologise if my comments have been misconstrued I was merely trying to confirm the OP’s question YES Side windows Are Still Nil

#95792 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

I apologise if my comments have been misconstrued I was merely trying to confirm the OP’s question YES Side windows Are Still Nil

Sorry JS,

But a referenced extract from Motability’s own website clearly states:

Reference:  https://www.motability.rsagroup.co.uk/policy-windscreens.html

How can that be any less clear – if a window or windscreen needs to be replaced, one will need to pay an excess of £50.

With respect, your quote has not been misconstrued – it is plainly wrong, as is your ‘confirmation’ to the OP.

Dave

#95801 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

@JS

I was jesting JS but I do agree the way insurance polices are written is a minefield and contradictory at the turn of every page.

I spent an hour in a police station back in my office staff days trying to convince a desk officer that the company van one of our operatives was driving was insured for any driver and for out of office hour use having produce our fleet insurance document.

I can’t remember much of the mumbo-jumbo now but he would not have it and told me the company would be fined if we could not produce an insurance document that said our vans could be driven by anyone with a UK driving licences anytime of the day.

To me it looked perfectly simple English that the vans were insured but in the end (not being a lawyer ?) I had to pass it back to our insurance company to deal with and they admitted the police were right and that although we were insured 24/7 for any driver the insurance company sent out an incorrect document.

What hope do we mortals have.?‍♂️

#95807 Reply

JS

Each to their own and all that I believe I am correct to the point I’ve just rang the Glassline number 0300037994 stated I’ve shattered my drivers side window is there any excess to pay I’m a Motability Customer. After checking NO was the reply but there is a £50 charge on the Windscreen. Obviously I didn’t continue as I’ve not broken my side window.

#95830 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Each to their own and all that I believe I am correct to the point I’ve just rang the Glassline number 0300037994 stated I’ve shattered my drivers side window is there any excess to pay I’m a Motability Customer. After checking NO was the reply but there is a £50 charge on the Windscreen. Obviously I didn’t continue as I’ve not broken my side window.

Exactly what I was told both when I rang the glass line, and when the Autoglass chap appeared with the new FOS (front drivers side) window. All nicely fixed with me soon on my way home. Great.

Then the invoice arrived……………….

Subsequent phone call to RSAM – yes, I did owe the £50 excess as the window was replaced and not repaired.

They made apologies over why the excess hadn’t previously been mentioned. Unlike with some insurance policies, with Motability you do not have to fork out the £50 at the roadside (by credit/debit card) and it is usally invoiced.

Dave

If I had a scanner here – would scan in the invoice!

#95865 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Oh boy, what a roller coaster, 1st I’m getting my 50 quid back then no I’m not, then I am, then not, then yes, then no,,,,,,, had to have a lay down!

#95881 Reply

JS

Ha ha @vinalspin get your money back! Over the years twice we have had dealerships try and charge one for windscreen wipers a one for the Mot, just because they do doesn’t make it right, I wonder how many people they have got away with doing it to, @bigdave I’m sorry you got charged unnecessarily I’ve checked policies and I personally will not be paying any excess unless the Windscreen needs replacing. And on our vehicle we only have One Windscreen.

Im afraid this is one of those situations where people get wrongly charged a little bit like the Adblue issue with people getting charged, many did or do because they got told that’s the way it is and pay it, but those who argue it or quote to the garage it is actually included don’t pay. In this instance it’s a bit easier although most service departments don’t realise and we as customers shouldn’t need to tell them but there is a back office code Any dealership can enter with no charge to the customer (ICME code 2317.) unfortunately I don’t know of a code for Glass

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Motability rsa insurance Windscreen Excess

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: