Motability question? We can answer it.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #173917 Reply
    Brydo

There are many questions members have about the motability scheme such as :-

Can I extend my lease?

Can I change my car before my contract is up and if so will it cost me anything?

How much is the GCB and will I get it if I have a few scratches?

What happens if I lose PIP?

If you have any questions about motability, then this is the place to come. We have many knowledgeable members only to willing to give advice. Many of our members have been on the scheme for decades and know virtually everything there is to know about the scheme.

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #192133 Reply
    Tina

I’ve been dealing with the same guy I’ve got his personal number and he’s saying about it needing to be re-registered etc and they do it by post :/

#192137 Reply
    Tina

Well I thought that too but he’s told me there doing it by post, which I don’t understand why he would do that, he knows how much I need this vehicle , I just feel like he’s stalling 🙁

#192141 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Everything is done online now. V5 and tax.

Not if you need to change the taxaion class that can only be done at the Post office.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-class/tax-due-to-run-out-or-changing-if-vehicle-is-exempt

I just had to go to change my new car’s tax over after i got my certificate from HMRC as it was on the scheme car.

Once it’s done you can renew it online.

#192143 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Yeah I’m totally confused too. The vehicle was given back to the dealer as previous owner didn’t need it anymore, I then managed to have a demo in it and it was perfect so demo report was sent off etc fast forward to Monday just gone when the application was submitted and then yesterday it was approved . Now dealer is saying the vehicle needs to be re-registered in my name by DVLA first before he can bring it he doesn’t know when that will be :/

I guess maybe it has to do with them bringing it to you and it needing to be registered in your name for them to then apply road tax for the car on you behalf and also that mb are the ones actually buyung the car and hold the v5, you can ask for a copy if needed but they get it.

I have not gotten a wav via the scehme but usually you have to go and collect the car and enter your pin at the dealers.

This might be why he cannot put road tax on the car until it is registered to yourself and mb will then get sent the v5 and my guess is maybe as it’s used it is different from new cars and also the fact it’s not a private sale directly to you but to mb.

I would call Motability up and see what they say about the situation?

#192396 Reply
    Tina

They just said all checks were done and to speak to dealer about delivery times , do you know how long it takes for vehicle to be re registered and if it can be done online ?

#192423 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Vehicle registration https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-and-used-vehicles

New vehicles
    The dealer will usually register a brand new vehicle for you. If they do, you’ll get a V5C registration certificate (log book) within 6 weeks. Contact DVLA if you do not get one.

If the dealer will not do it, you can register the vehicle yourself.

If your vehicle is a new heavy goods vehicle (HGV), you also need to record the details of your HGV with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

Used vehicles
    You need to tax a used vehicle before you can use it on the road.
    The way a used vehicle is registered to you depends on whether it has a V5C registration certificate (log book).

Vehicle has a registration certificate (V5C)
    The seller can register the vehicle to you online or by post.

The seller must follow a different process if you’re buying a vehicle to take abroad including the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Isle of Man or Ireland. They must give you the full log book (V5C) and not send it to DVLA.

Register online
    The seller will need to:

register the vehicle to you online
    fill in the green ‘new keeper’ slip and give it to you
    destroy the V5C
    DVLA will update the vehicle record immediately and they will aim to send out a new V5C to you within 3 to 5 days.

Register by post
    If you cannot register the vehicle online, you can register it by post. The seller will need to:

complete section 2 if they have a new style log book (with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover) or section 6 if they have the older style log book
    sign the declaration in section 8 if they have the older style log book (you must sign the declaration too)
    fill in the new keeper slip and give it to you
    send the V5C to DVLA
    DVLA aims to send out a new V5C to you as soon as possible, usually 4 to 6 weeks after getting the old V5C from the seller.

If you do not get it within 6 weeks:

complete form V62 – ‘Application for a vehicle registration certificate’
    send it to DVLA with the new keeper slip given to you by the seller – if you do not send in the new keeper slip, you’ll have to pay a fee
    Download form V62 or get it from any Post Office branch.

Contact DVLA if you do not receive anything 6 weeks after sending in form V62.

Vehicle does not have a registration certificate
    DVLA advises that you should not buy a vehicle that does not have a registration certificate (V5C).
    Register the vehicle in your name by using form V62 ‘Application for a vehicle registration certificate’. You’ll have to pay a fee. See the section above for how to get form V62.

Contact DVLA if you do not receive anything 6 weeks after sending in form V62.

Checking your new registration certificate
    When you receive your registration certificate, it’s your responsibility to check all the details are correct. If anything is incorrect, make the changes on the certificate and send it back to DVLA.

DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1BA

You’ll get the replacement certificate within 4 weeks.

#192446 Reply
    Tina

Ah god I hope I’m not waiting another 6 weeks, I know I don’t get the log book the dealer keeps it , I’m just devestated at having to wait nearly another 2 month it’s already been ages since I had my demo 🙁

#192526 Reply
    Asc

Can somebody help me please..

My current 3 year lease for Audi Q2 finished on 19th July 2022, my insurance  extended till December that’s the date my new order car (Kia Sportage) arrives..

My question is: Currently my car done just over 59.000 miles and I wonder if I’m exceed  the 60.000 limits for our lease till December, do I get any trouble with motablity?

#192532 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Ah god I hope I’m not waiting another 6 weeks, I know I don’t get the log book the dealer keeps it , I’m just devestated at having to wait nearly another 2 month it’s already been ages since I had my demo 🙁

Guess we all feel like that Tina from time to time. I forgot if you said or not if you have wheels at the moment or not, which makes a huge difference to the wait, but try and think on the postive side everyday that passes is another day closer to the day you will pick it up.

#192533 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Can somebody help me please.. My current 3 year lease for Audi Q2 finished on 19th July 2022, my insurance extended till December that’s the date my new order car (Kia Sportage) arrives.. My question is: Currently my car done just over 59.000 miles and I wonder if I’m exceed the 60.000 limits for our lease till December, do I get any trouble with motablity?

I have never extended except for when during first lockdown I was meant to change the car and dealers was closed. I would imagine you would get a mileage allowance of another 10k for the added 6 months on top of the 60k for 3 years.

#192535 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

its 20k per year of lease, so as your extended as rox says you will get a pro rata allowance depending on when you actually hand it back.

#192550 Reply
    Tina

Yeah I know I’m trying to be so patient 🙂 I dont have a car at the moment unfortunately

#192590 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Yeah I know I’m trying to be so patient 🙂 I dont have a car at the moment unfortunately

That’s the worst situation to be in, total feel for those like yourself who are without cars and are having to wait really long times to get a car on the scheme. Not so bad when you already have something, unless it’s become unsuitable as people’s conditions can change and for example they may need an auto now.

Hopefully it’s not too long a wait for you and when you do get it the wav will make things alot better for you.

I don’t know what I’d do without a car as i’m 100% reliant on it to get out.

#192597 Reply
    struth
    Participant

thats a tough place to be, but at least your banking cash as your not paying out for the lease, so its got a sunny side and helps with any ap you pay.

guess all you can do is mark time and try and be positive. ive been in similar situation car wise and its not easy.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#192752 Reply
    Asc

Thank you both Rox amd Mitch

#192803 Reply
    Paul

Once dealer has vehicle and done pre delivery checks,how long does it take them to register and make car ready to go legally for customer to drive away?

#192822 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I Guess it can vary from a few days to a week and in some rare cases into a secend week (if it’s a brand new car) plus it depends on how many cars the dealers have going outI guess and slots to pick them up.

Mainly it’s down to mb giving them the go ahead. If it’s your 1st car on the scheme it can take a little longer, than if you already have a car on the scheme.

#192826 Reply
    Paul

@rox thanks

#192816 Reply
    Tina

That’s currently what I’m waiting on , mines a nearly new wav, everything’s sorted just waiting on the DVLA registering it to me. The dealer has decided to do this by post so I’m looking at another 6 – 8 weeks wait 🙁

#192904 Reply
    Tina

Does anybody know how long it takes the  Vehicle Licencing Team to complete the change of keeper process.

#193021 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Quick question, does anyone know why countries like turkey / Morocco / Albania etc were removed from being able to drive there, was looking to drive to Morocco and saw it used to be £29 a week extra to insurance to take your car there but now it’s not possible, I’m hoping this changes when direct line take over

#193040 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Quick question, does anyone know why countries like turkey / Morocco / Albania etc were removed from being able to drive there, was looking to drive to Morocco and saw it used to be £29 a week extra to insurance to take your car there but now it’s not possible, I’m hoping this changes when direct line take over

A consequence of Brexit is probably your answer, in that you now need an ‘insurance green card’ to travel to certain countries including the ones you mention. A Green Card is not needed for UK insured vehicles in the EU and EEC areas. EU insured vehicles do not need such a green card to travel into the countries you mention.

See: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad

#193080 Reply
    Tina

So sorry if this sounds a little dumb but what does handover date mean when getting a motability car ?

#193084 Reply
    joss

It means the date when the dealer hands over your motability car over to you.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#193085 Reply
    Tina

Oooh can this be like next week if it’s there and all checks ,paperwork etc are done ? 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 209 total)
Reply To: Motability question? We can answer it.
Your information: