Motability question? We can answer it.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #173917 Reply
    Brydo

There are many questions members have about the motability scheme such as :-

Can I extend my lease?

Can I change my car before my contract is up and if so will it cost me anything?

How much is the GCB and will I get it if I have a few scratches?

What happens if I lose PIP?

If you have any questions about motability, then this is the place to come. We have many knowledgeable members only to willing to give advice. Many of our members have been on the scheme for decades and know virtually everything there is to know about the scheme.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #185674 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Poundland and YouTube worked for me.

#185683 Reply
    David Painter

I just buy some from pound land and do it myself, it’s cheaper than driving to the dealer

#185919 Reply
    volkswin
    Participant

Just a quick one not sure if this is covered elsewhere did look but couldn’t find it if it is.

My mother in law currently/ had a mobility VW tiguan with only 6000 miles on the clock.

My wifes current mobility car is due to go back and the vehicle we are waiting for is now going to be 9 months at least from ordering to collecting.

So my mother in law thought it would be a good idea if we purchased the Tiguan as an alternative.

So my question would be what is the process if possible to buy from Mobility and is it worth it.

#185921 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

@volkswin, your mother in law can ask for a price to buy the Tiguan at the end of the lease.  I doubt they’d entertain anyone buying it before then. In general the price Motability asks is not competitive.

#185931 Reply
    volkswin
    Participant

She’s just informed that she has handed the car  back to the local VW Garage and has been told she will recieve the good condition bonus plus a % of the original AP back.

She said she had been advised that I need to call the garage and ask for a price, doesn’t seem any point now that its in the system as I expect I will be qouted full retial and if I am going to pay full retial then I would prefer to go hybrid or electic.

#185961 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

Wigwam, I think generally you are right re the uncooperative prices offered by Motability; strange as I believe they offer them for auction where they would get even less than market.  That said when my hubby was moved over to PIP, he lost his Motability vehicle due to the changes in eligibility criteria. He was offered it at what we thought was a very good price. It was 6 months old, low miles and no damage. The new price was 28k(ish) and they offered it to him for 14k(ish) due to him having been on the scheme for so many years. We did not get it as it was a diesel (time of diesel-gate); and it rolled like a super-tanker in the corners (X-Trail 4WD). Decided that I would get a car in my name and went for something a bit smaller (the Leon).

Current vehicle: 2018 SEAT LEON ST 1.8 TSI FR Technology DSG
    On order: MINI 5-Door Hatch 2.0 Cooper S Classic Steptronic

#185965 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

@volkswin, your mother in law can ask for a price to buy the Tiguan at the end of the lease. I doubt they’d entertain anyone buying it before then. In general the price Motability asks is not competitive.

Just before a handed my previous lease back (2017 Skoda Superb SEL exec 190nhp) a couple of months ago I asked MB for a price. I can’t remember the exact figures but for a couple hundred less I could have got an identical car but on a 67 plate from the main dealers that would have come with a 12 month Skoda assured warranty and any minor car park dings repaired. MB sell at full retail price on a trade basis.

#185966 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

@Ginny I was in the same position – losing my mobility entitlement on the DLA to PIP transfer. I was also offered a very competitive price for the vehicle too. But it makes sense. Motability don’t want people to leave the scheme as it’s a nice money spinner for them. Therefore they won’t offer eligible customers a worthwhile price for the car in the hope that they renew/lease another vehicle.

On the other hand, if you can no longer lease a car from them, it is in their interest to sell a car to you rather than it go to auction, hence the better price they offer.

#185973 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

To start a new question.

We are all aware of the current situation re supplies of new cars; the problem mainly being cars being supplied with options missing. Not sure what happens in this situation; is the AP reduced? Rejecting the car would leave one waiting possibly even longer for a new car.

With the (my) MINI order there seems to be a different problem (other than the extended delivery dates). I got my order in at the start of Q1, when there where over 100 different MINIs on the scheme, the day before they where all removed. A few came back for Q2 but only for a short time before all but the MINI Electric were removed.

Recently MINI removed the Sport trim the MINI One and all manual gearboxes from their range. They also appeared to have simplified the wiring looms meaning less option packages. Unlike other manufacturers they have not removed options, just reduced the number of “packs”, combing them, making lots of the options standard and increasing the price of the lower trims. The main option now being Sat-Nav (or not) from what I can work out.

When I ordered my MINI you picked an engine, gearbox, trim and whether or not you wanted the comfort & navigation packs (combined). Each resulting in a higher AP. The engine, trim and gearbox options I picked are ones that have not been removed but the trim I ordered now comes with the comfort part of the pack.

While I am quite happy to have what is now the base Cooper S (but not the centre arm rest, that gets in the way of the hand brake and iDrive). I am not sure how MINI or Motability will treat this. MINI do not have the parts for the car that was ordered. So are going to build a higher spec (and more expensive) one.

Will MINI pass on the extra cost to Motability? If they do how will it affect my AP? I know it is guaranteed if it goes up, but I will not be getting the car I ordered. What I will be getting is one that sits halfway between that and the next AP up; no Navigation Pack. It used to be so simple; you ordered your car, and 3 months later you take you old car back and picked up the new one; as ordered.

#186244 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

After a bit more research and a couple of phone calls I am no wiser. In addition to their standard options, all trim levels of MINI now come with one of two options packs; either Premium or Premium Plus, there is no longer the option to select no options. I believe the wiring looms used to come from The Ukraine. By dropping the Sport Trim (which has adaptive suspension) having only 2 option packs the differences in wiring looms are greatly reduced (and simplified) to for alternate manufacturers. The main differences in the other trims are things like seats (all now heated), wheels, etc.

I sent an e-mail to my dealer about this and he phoned me confirming my car would now come with a lot more kit. When I asked he also said the level of the AP would be up to Motability. I contacted Motability and they said as far as they were concerned my AP was locked in with my order, and they are decided by the dealer. If there is any changes there may be other routes.

This is only my second car on the scheme; my first (and present) came with the exact options I ordered, and on collection I paid my AP as agreed when ordered. My husband was on the scheme for years and had seven vehicles. All but two were as ordered; he had ordered a Lupo, but they could not supply, so he got a Polo and a few cars later he got an Insignia with the next higher trim to that, that was ordered. In both cases there was no change to the AP.

#186545 Reply
    Ronz

Does anyone know if you have to pay VAT on extras? Every car Iv ordered I never have but Kia are saying I do. Is that correct and the previous were just discounts?

#186549 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Yes you pay VAT on extras.

The view taken by HMRC is that because manufacturers ‘optional extras’ are for general use and not specifically designed for disabled people, they will attract VAT at the prevailing rate.

Adaptions specifically designed for disabled people are VAT free subject to the HMRC rules as laid out in:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief-on-adapted-motor-vehicles-for-disabled-people-and-charities-notice-1002

Obviously, Motability have a block VAT exemption on the actual vehicle, but VAT is payable on the optional extras as they are designed for general use.

#186553 Reply
    Ronz

Thank You. Let’s see if the they will do me a little deal in the extras then, every other car Iv got has always had a discount so we will see, what brand this space!

#187706 Reply
    Midge
    Participant

Has the price capping risen over the pass 1st or 2nd quarter on Motability cars? Along with everyone else, I’ve seen ridiculous advance payments this year being introduced, but I’ve also noticed the capping has changed to allow higher spec and/or engine models to appear. It used to be capped at the 35K limit but now I see new vehicles appearing on the scheme valued at more than 40K. Am I alone in saying this?

#187715 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Has the price capping risen over the pass 1st or 2nd quarter on Motability cars? Along with everyone else, I’ve seen ridiculous advance payments this year being introduced, but I’ve also noticed the capping has changed to allow higher spec and/or engine models to appear. It used to be capped at the 35K limit but now I see new vehicles appearing on the scheme valued at more than 40K. Am I alone in saying this?

The price caps started to be broken within months of being introduced, which is just one of the numerous reasons why I think they are pointless and a complete waste of time. I don’t pay too much attention to the vehicle lists now as there’s absolutely nothing on the scheme that even remotely interests me, but I think I’m right in saying that most of the highest retail price cars are plug-in hybrids? Sadly, these cars also now have eye watering AP’s that would wipe out the fuel cost savings for the average Motability user (most of whom seem to do incredibly low mileages). So, on the one hand it’s nice to see a few higher priced cars, but when they don’t make financial sense it seems a bit pointless!

Sadly, even when the current supply crisis ends, I don’t see a wide choice of higher price vehicles returning. I think that the best we can hope for will be some upper end models from the budget and mid market manufacturers at AP’s that are significantly above what we were paying for premium brand cars just a year ago.

#187718 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i think it will be budget all the way in a few years. its already heading that way with AP’s out to stop folk buying even mid range cars.

i read the govt will be reclassifying phevs by a different mileage method and it will knock their second hand value for 6.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#187723 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

The price caps started to be broken within months of being introduced, which is just one of the numerous reasons why I think they are pointless and a complete waste of time. I don’t pay too much attention to the vehicle lists now as there’s absolutely nothing on the scheme that even remotely interests me, but I think I’m right in saying that most of the highest retail price cars are plug-in hybrids? Sadly, these cars also now have eye watering AP’s that would wipe out the fuel cost savings for the average Motability user (most of whom seem to do incredibly low mileages). So, on the one hand it’s nice to see a few higher priced cars, but when they don’t make financial sense it seems a bit pointless! Sadly, even when the current supply crisis ends, I don’t see a wide choice of higher price vehicles returning. I think that the best we can hope for will be some upper end models from the budget and mid market manufacturers at AP’s that are significantly above what we were paying for premium brand cars just a year ago.

Totally agree 24 months ago we leased a Outlander PHEV the AP was around the £1600 mark, I really fancied the Superb Estate PHEV however the AP was just shy of £4,000, financial even with the fuel savings it just did not make sense, not sure how it would compare with todays fuel cost.

Apart from the 2 lower priced Renault PHEV’s there is no PHEV on the scheme that make financial sense, fortunately Motability has plenty of financially viable EV’s on the scheme.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#188264 Reply
    Tardelli

I ordered a Mini on the 6th of April.

The specific model has been removed from the scheme after it was accepted by Motability.

The question is should I be worried or just go with the flow and wait?

I have obtained an extension for my current vehicle which is perfect for me.

#188271 Reply
    Rene

You’d need to call your dealership and ask whether or not the order is with the factory. If it is, then most likely no need to worry – if it isn’t, then eventually they’ll call you telling you that they can’t order it with the factory since it’s not available on the scheme anymore.

#188281 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Ordinarily Tardelli, one should not be worried, The specific model’s Ap will be honoured at the price you ordered it at, regardless of how long it takes to turn up.

The issue might be that, The specific model in the format it was in might not now be available and if it was to come back onto the scheme In a new format/spec it would have a different reference number assigned to it. Then you know something has changed.

If the ap has changed also in those circumstances then the ap you agreed might not be honoured. That really depends on the manufacturer.

Likewise if some specs have been dropped, due to supply issues they may say the ap you agreed stands. You then have a choice to make, to accept it as is or decline the car.

That’s if the car turns up and the order is not cancelled by the manufacturer as some have done as it is no longer making those models or rebranded the trim levels etc and cost have risen hugely, especally for those waiting over a year.

Truth is no one really knows.

What was you told when ordering the car as to the delivery date?

There was someone else who was getting a mini and I remember them saying the specs had changed or the packs they added on to it had changed. Maybe they know more.

Maybe have alook on the mini site and compare the trims to what you actually ordered or contact the dealer directly.  Although dealers don’t know everything about every car and the specs or how certain features actually work. So i find it best to actually check myself.

#188282 Reply
    Tardelli

Thank you for the replies Rox and Rene 👍

#188306 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

I ordered a Mini on the 6th of April. The specific model has been removed from the scheme after it was accepted by Motability. The question is should I be worried or just go with the flow and wait? I have obtained an extension for my current vehicle which is perfect for me.

I posted re the same problem here on the 27th May. I ordered my MINI with no options on the 2nd February, the day before they where all removed from the scheme (big thanks to Ocean MINI for calling me in early to avoid disappointment). As you know, recently they (MINI) have dropped the Sport and Manual box (plus other changes). There is no longer the option to choose no options (used to be Nav/comfort or not, with appropriate AP); now it is either Premium or Premium Plus with the minimum being the premium package. I contacted the dealer and they said I will be getting the higher spec, but it was up to MB about the AP. I contacted MB and they said the AP is down to the dealer. So I’ll just have to wait and see. Car was due now but been put back until Sept. Fortunately like you I have a suitable vehicle on extended lease.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Ginny.

#188313 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

You can find out on your Motability Scheme online account if your application has been approved.

You can contact MINI through Facebook messenger or online chat on their website mini.co.uk and give them your order number (your dealer will be able to give you this if you do no know it). They may ask you a couple of questions to check (like colour or spec), and they’ll give you your order status and (provisional) build week.

Quicker than asking dealer as they will have to contact MINI and get back to you. I got my build week a few days after I ordered my car. A couple of weeks before it was due I contacted MINI on FB messenger to check, and they told me it would be another 3 1/2 months. Next day I got an email from my dealer telling me the same (complete coincidence); so I knew before the dealer by going straight to MINI.

#188316 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Ordinarily Tardelli, one should not be worried, The specific model’s Ap will be honoured at the price you ordered it at, regardless of how long it takes to turn up.

There’s one issue with that, one that happened multiple times recently.

This applies to dealerships who place a factory order immediately. Which isn’t a legal requirement. The issue that happened is that people ordered prior to a car being removed (Volvo XC40), but dealerships kept sitting on the order.

When they finally tried to place the factory order (keep in mind, you really are only telling your dealership to order your car – the car isn’t actually ordered at that point), the car was removed and the system prevented them from placing the factory order.

The problem here is that it doesn’t matter what you can see in the Motability account. The account reacts to the application when you order, not when they’re actually putting the order to the factory. All people who had their orders cancelled had the online account confirming the order.

edit: what Ginny said. Contact Mini and make sure, better be safe than sorry.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#189036 Reply
    Smoggy

Does anyone know of any occassion when motability has allowed an already registered vehicle eg a floor demo model or such like, obviously dealers list these at used.

I know they do nearly new with wavs. Was wondering if anyone was aware of similar on normal vehicles in exceptional circumstances.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 154 total)
Reply To: Motability question? We can answer it.
Your information: