Motability Price Cap Question

• Creator
    Topic
    BackCountryBob
    Participant

Good evening everyone,

just wondered if any of the experts on here could tell me what the actual CAP situation is please?

The figure £35,000 comes up on the search function, but assume scheme vehicles at VAT free, so the maximum price is £28,000 ex VAT?

Thanks in anticipation,

Bob

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Robert

From what I read it was based on “on the road” price. Had a look but can’t find where I read it. I don’t see why it should be vat free, that would only apply if the vehicle was modified or specially adapted for disability.

Trev
        Participant

Hope this helps Bob,

current caps are –

The maximum on-the-road price is £29,000 for manual cars and £30,500 for automatic models.

The advance payment ceiling is £3,000 for manual and £3,750 for auto models.

There is a maximum of 200 bhp, or 225 bhp for electric vehicles

And then there are the maximum insurance caps –

Car – Petrol 29, Diesel 31

MPV & 4×4’s – Petrol 31, Diesel 38

WAV’s are available outside these parameters.

72 Dudes

Trev,

Surely that can’t be right?

I’ve seen loads of cars on the scheme with OTR prices of well over £32k, e.g.

Tiguan 2.0TDi SEL 4WD £32805 excluding Auto; Volvo XC40 T4 Momentum 4WD £32070; BMW X1 xDrive Sport 2.0d £34800; BMW X2 sDrive Sport 2.0d £34030.

There’s probably others, these were just ones I like!

Something tells me the £35k cap for automatics is correct??

Participant

The Kuga Vignale auto we ordered in December has an OTR of 33k+

It’s all as clear as mud.

Current car: 2024 Renault Austral Iconic FHD. AP £3,995 +£570 for hoist.

Previous Motability cars:
              2013 Ford Focus estate petrol auto.
              2016 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto.
              2019 Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD.

Trev
              Participant

72 Dudes, I hear what you are saying, it perplexes me as well. But i have simply quoted what Motability have stated the caps are from the last update we know of, back in Jan 2018 – discussion of which can be found here – https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/price-cap-raised/

There are obviously some ‘grey areas’ – one being does a vehicle qualify if it exceeds the OTR price, but an AP is then applied to counteract that to bring it back under the cap.

Participant

Trev

The AP ‘trick’ is what may keep the Vignale on… it’s ‘only’ 2.4k

Current car: 2024 Renault Austral Iconic FHD. AP £3,995 +£570 for hoist.

Previous Motability cars:
                  2013 Ford Focus estate petrol auto.
                  2016 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto.
                  2019 Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD.

Trev
                  Participant

Indeed Confusicated, but as you rightly say – their actions are as clear as mud. Say one thing, do another.

But hey, keeps us on our toes i guess and with all the research and work that’s left for us to do in deciding the best vehicle to suit our individuals needs, it makes us appreciate it more when we get it right……. or is that just me being sarcastic? LOL

ChrisK
                    Participant

The trouble with the cap is there based on RRP and if you take the VW Touran SEL DSG I was going to have, its book price was around £30,000 but Car Wow on the road price was something in the region of £23 > £24,000 and I bet my bottom $ that Motability discount is lower than Car Wow with there price including VAT in all.

fwippers
                      Participant

I spoke to Motability last week. They confirmed the price cap has not altered this year. I do recall the caps of £29k and £30.5k (manual & auto) introduced at the start of last year related to the price of the entry models on 1st Jan 2018 and any price rise which took the car over the cap would be disregarded for the remainder of 2018. I assume (dangerous, I know) this practice has been carried over to 2019? This could be an issue when new cars are launched, like the RAV4 and Q2 may give some answers in this regard.

I believe as long as a car meets the cap limit Motability can allow other trim levels/engine combinations up to £33.5k and £35k to be available on the scheme.

Glos Guy
                        Participant

The price caps that Trev mentions in his first post above apply to the entry level model for any car that appears on the scheme BUT once a car qualifies, other models of the same car can appear up to £35k (auto) and sometimes just above, allegedly only if they have extra features that disabled drivers would find useful (this is in fact nonsense, as they allow virtually all cars of the same model range up to the £35k, but we won’t complain about that) . I did explain this in detail when it was first launched in response to many questions like this, but I can’t find it – so I will explain using two fictitious cars. First of all, VAT is irrelevant. All Motability cars are VAT exempt but the caps refer to regular on the road prices inc VAT.

Car A. The entry level model (let’s call it the S) is £28k manual and £30k Auto. It therefore qualifies to be on the scheme as a qualifying car. As it qualifies, the SE and SEL models, which go up to £35k can be included.

Car B. The entry level model S is £29.5k manual and £31k. In this case, it matters not a jot that this model and the SE both fall under £35k, NONE of the models of this car can appear as the entry level (the ‘qualifying car’) is above the price cap.

Does it make sense? Of course not, but it’s to satisfy the Daily Mail etc so that Motability can quote a price cap and say that the only cars that are above this price are on the list because they have extra features that are useful to disabled drivers, which is not true but helps dilute the criticism rather than, as they should do, tackle it head on and explain that Motability customers pay the FULL cost of the lease (plus £1k per car on average – although they deny it) through sacrificed PIP and AP.

Trev
                          Participant

Thanks Glos, I couldn’t find the past detailed thread on the caps either – but your explanation rings familiar now, thanks for taking the time to post and making clear the situation.

JS
                            Participant

We can’t post some archived posts as unfortunately they may contain details of a website we are not allowed provide links too.

But Trev is correct in the fact the current caps are at present not altered since 1st January 2018 the 35000 etc as glos guy also rightly says was an statment made in q3/q4 2017 but Motability still seem to go buy it, they also never made clear or ever address the statement

If a car is eligible to join the Scheme on 1 January 2018, but is impacted by an on-the-road price rise during 2018 which takes it over the on-the-road price ceiling, it will remain eligible for the Scheme for the full year.

so all confusing as they have gone over the caps on occasions and seem to put on what is made available to them.

ChrisK
                              Participant

The trouble with the cap is there based on RRP and if you take the VW Touran SEL DSG I was going to have, its book price was around £30,000 but Car Wow on the road price was something in the region of £23 > £24,000 and I bet my bottom $ that Motability discount is lower than Car Wow with there price including VAT in all.

Thought I better update my prices here as the Touran SEL RRP was £28,000 not £30,000.

I made the mistake in my sums because I was thinking at the time of buying a Touran SEL out right and is why I had the Car Wow price but I came to the £30,000 RRP figure because I included the AP and adaptions too going down the Motability road way.

Glos Guy
                                Participant

Prices always relate to manufacturers on the road prices. Actual prices that you can achieve yourself from dealers or brokers have no relevance whatsoever although you are of course correct that Motabilty Operations will get significant discounts from manufacturers due to being the biggest fleet operator in the U.K.  probably in the region of 20-35%, with the majority being at the higher end of that scale.

JS
                                  Participant

Just to back up GlosGuys and Trev posts  this is the official quotes that appeared.

if a car within a model range offers additional benefits for our customers over and above the ‘qualifying’ model, we may allow these to be offered on the Scheme at our discretion. These benefits will likely include sat nav (for helping to plan a journey), autonomous technology (self-parking is an example) and leather seats (to help access and egress). The maximum on-the-road price for these discretionary derivatives has increased to £33,500 for manual cars and £35,000 for automatic models. ‘

Persuader

.. And oy when there’s a z in the month.

When you see the criteria written down, you can see how stupid the caps are. Why can’t we spend our money as we have wish?

Pandering to Daily Mail scum.

72 Dudes

Thanks JS, that explains it……mostly.

When we chose our Q3 Sport TFSi, the next model up, the S Line, had a power opening/closing tailgate, something which Mrs 72 Dudes would have found invaluable as a disabled 4ft 11 person, but it wasn’t available, as it was (then) over £30500.

Strange rules.

BackCountryBob

Thanks Glos Guy, Trev and JS,

as ever, very well explained. No wonder there is some confusion!!

vinalspin
                                          Participant

Confused? You will be, on this weeks episode of….SOAP! 😉

Philjb

I actually though out Tiguan SEL was right on the top cap price in Dsg form, but the invoice price said 28k I’m pretty sure.

I’d have to check again.

But car wow price we got back, with the same extras we have, in the same colour was exactly the same price?  Bar £50 and the car was in Northern Ireland.

martino

Price Cap

so I was looking at all the car manufacturers  to see the starting prices were under the cap and I was going to list them on the forum , Is it all manufactures ? so example :- jaguar E Pace starts at £29080 so can that be on motability   or am i missing something

callmejohn

Thanks,  JS, Trev & Glos

What Motability seem to be saying (if my understanding is right) is that if a car is on the scheme but not in the trim that is needed, then you can apply to them for a higher spec version of the car, which is not listed and does not currently have a Motability number, so long as you can put up a case that you need it to meet the needs of your disability.

So long as it does not exceed the £33,500 manual cap or the £35,000 automatic cap.

That information must be potentially a great help to a lot of our members.

Could we possibly have a tag for that information so members can easily find it, without having to go through the history of the forum topics.

JS
                                                  Participant

No it’s at Motability Discretion if a vehicle appears but it is worth pushing them for a certain car if it falls into this category, they may add it, as to the likes of cars like jaguar etc it’s not just a case of it is under the cap,if jaguar doesn’t do a good enough deal/discount for Motability then when they apply there formula to work out the AP which includes things like insurance and service cost and residual values it would be over that cap of £3750 so then can’t come on. It may also be that the manufacturers do not want certain models on or make them available to Motability. Manufacturers often withhold certain trim levels as a retail sales gimmick.

from start to finish it takes a lot of time from the negotiating team to the VTN number being allocated and they do this every 3 months and reapply any discounts, changes in residual values etc, which is why AP changes to ease this the negotiating team now add vehicles as manufacturers offer them to them. It’s not Motability keeping cars from us it’s they have failed to meet or fall within the boundaries and meet criteria.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.