Motability Insurance contact hours after a crash

  • Creator
  • #108809 Reply

    Hi all.  I’ve been looking at new cars for the past 8 weeks as I’m due to change, looking forward to getting my GCB, until I got what the American’s call T-boned on a roundabout at about 8pm last night. I was three quarters of a way across the roundabout when a car come piling into the side of me.  The other driver said ‘I didn’t see you.’   Me and the wife were a bit shook up but otherwise ok apart from an aching shoulder from me and possibly a touch of whiplash for the wife.

    I was surprised to find out when I checked my Motability Handbook Emergency Contacts in the event of an accident is a phoneline that closes at 4pm on Saturday and is not open then till Monday morning.

    As well as general help, what would happen if my car wasn’t driveable?


Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #108811 Reply

    Just went out to the car and due to the back door being smashed in, the car is not waterproof and all the inside is wet.  Anyone got any ideas as to who I can get to help.

    #108814 Reply

    This is from the Motability Web Site:-

    Being involved in an accident can be a worrying time, but the Motability Scheme is here to support you. Try to remember these simple tips if you, or one of your named drivers, has an accident:

    Stay calm, ensure everyone is safe and don’t admit fault
    Call an ambulance by dialling 999 if anyone is injured. Call the police on 101 (the non-emergency number) if the other driver leaves without giving details
    Make a note of the other driver’s details and any witnesses by filling out the form on the accident checklist Will download a resource(PDF 45KB) . You can print out a copy to keep in your glovebox. Take pictures of the cars, drivers, passengers, damage and the accident scene from several angles
    Report the incident to RSA Motability (see ‘Insurance’ below).
    If you are unable to drive the car, call the RAC for roadside support and assistance (see the ‘Roadside assistance’ below).
    Involving the Police
    If anyone is injured, or damage has been caused, you must show your Certificate of Motor Insurance to the police or to anyone involved in the accident. If you cannot give your details to the other driver(s) immediately, you will need to report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

    Call RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 as soon as possible after any accident to report the incident and register a claim. Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday. (If it is outside of these hours, make sure you report the incident when the lines are next open.) Send copies of all letters you receive about the accident to the RSAM claims department. It is important to fully co-operate with RSAM while the claim is being investigated. Failure to co-operate could result in your claim being unsuccessful and you could be banned from leasing a Motability car again.

    Personal accident cover is provided up to a limit of £5,000 (per person) for the driver and any passengers. Your legal liabilities will also be covered.

    Roadside support and assistance
    If you’re not able to drive your car as a result of an accident, please contact RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73 or 0333 202 1878 for roadside support and assistance. They are available to help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They will pick up the car and take it to the repairer, who will assess the extent of the damage to the car and advise you whether repairs need to be carried out or not. RSAM have repairers across the UK. The car will only be repaired to its original specification. Damage to non-standard equipment or modifications, fitted without RSAM’s agreement are not included in this cover. If you are in the Republic of Ireland, the number to call is 1800 535 005

    RSAM will keep you up-to-date with the progress of repairs to your car. You may be able to get a temporary replacement vehicle while your own car is being repaired.


    #108817 Reply
    Which Mobility Car

    @PillBoy I assume the car is drivable as you made it back home? Once the call is in with RSA the wheels will be in motion (excuse the pun) and things will get sorted very quickly. Take photos of the damage if you have not already.

    #108823 Reply

    Do most people tend to use RSM to deal with the whole claim or have anyone used an accident management company?  I know that most of them are rip-off merchants, but there are some that are good.


    My initial point was the fact that people have to wait from 4pm on a Saturday till 8am on Monday to get to speak to anyone.  What if I needed a suitable vehicle in between those times?  I did have somewhere I had to be today, but have had to cancel now as there is a possibility that the chassis might have been affected as the car didn’t feel quite right and am not prepared to take the risk.


    A friend of mine who had a non-fault accident contacted the other person’s insurance company and they had a suitable hire car for him delivered to his house 4 hours after the call ended.  If their own insured driver is at fault it makes good sense for them to deal direct with you and keep you happy as they have a handle on costs i.e. Not having to pay £3000 per week for car hire from a management company for while your car is being assessed and/or being repaired. His car was a Ford Kuga, his loan car was a BMW X3.  They were excellent at keeping him up to date about everything. Sometimes your own insurance company lag well behind service levels that you get from other parties.


    Does anyone have any incidents of claiming through RSM and whether they were any good or not?

    #108825 Reply

    I was involved in a non fault accident a couple of years ago and Mini Assist (Mini Breakdown Cover ) provided a courtesy car for 2 days while RSA arranged a courtesy car. This was at a no charge to me and separate to anything RSA/Motability cover. Breakdown cover is usually provided  by car manufacturers while your car is under warranty so might be worth giving them a call until RSA arrange a courtesy for you.

    #108826 Reply


    If they are called out to recover the car (as per the Motabiity website posting above) or even now, the RAC will arrange a short term car hire to tide you over the weekend. Then RSAM/Motability will arrange for Enterprise or whoever to supply a vehicle until yours is repaired. You only pay for fuel used.

    I would seriously advise against using a claim handling company, as RSAM will deal with everything, unless you are personally suing the other party for injury etc. However RSAM cover you for the first £5k under their ‘Personal Accident Cover’ clause.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Motability Insurance contact hours after a crash
Your information: