Motability Expert recommended EVs

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

Motability are recommending 5 EVs. https://news.motability.co.uk/motoring/spotlight-on-electric-cars-available-on-the-motability-scheme/?utm_source=signup-standard-car-enewsletter-december-2023&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=enewsletter&utm_content=product-reviews

Here’s the list with a summary of their reasons:

Renault Zoe – a popular electric small car, a 5 door supermini.  The Zoe has an ample 52kWh battery delivering 238 miles.  They recommend the Boost Charge variant, capable of 100kW rapid charging.  The Zoe has supportive, high-set seats and a good view out, controls are easy to use.

BYD Atto 3 – An electric small SUV, an impressive all-rounder.  The roomy Atto 3 is a family friendsly 5 seater and an enormous 555litre boot.  The driving position is high with good visibility.  The 60kWh battery is good for 261 miles and can recharge 10-80% in 40 minutes.

Hyundai Kona – A stylish small SUV, the high-set cabin is easy to step in and out of. The recommended version comes with a 64kWh battery providing over 300 miles of range (and if it’s anything like it’s predecessor, it probably does too).  The top spec Ultimate, for just 299 AP, also appeals thanks to it’s generous standard specification.

Peugeot e2008 – This electric version of the popular 2008 is an easy way to make the switch to a pure electric.  The 54kWh battery gives a really good performance of 250 miles and can use 100kW rapid chargers.  The 154bhp motor gives fun acceleration too.

MG5 – An electric Estate car, for customers who need the practicality and convenience of a well-designed estate car.  The long range version with a large 61kWh battery gives a range of 235 miles, that’s enough for long distance motorway trips.  With a large 479l boot the MG5 is a practical estate car that’s backed up with a great level of standard equipment.

So, the Kona, Atto 3 and Zoe I can agree with.  The e 2008 is responsible for the most posts on various groups about cars not achieving the range they were sold as, including one Motability customer achieving only 140 miles in summer.  The MG5 with it’s enormous boot (smaller than the Atto 3) is a good cheap offering but there’s better.  The Enyaq is both bigger and better built for similar money, although less well specced at the entry point.

There’s no mention of the World Car of the Year Ioniq 5 or 6, or the numerously assigned best EV SUV that is the Enyaq despite all being available for relatively reasonable APs for the entry level versions.

For cars that could easily have gotten a mention, there’s the MG4, Leaf (the car that started the trend!) The Mini, Megane E-Tech, Niro, EX30, Ariya, or the Soul (although that looks a lot of money for it’s size).

I worry that with recommendations based on WLTP ranges, which are frequently far too optimistic, the perpetuation of the complaint that range is an issue will continue.  It doesn’t take much effort for the reviewer to look at other sources to see more realistic ranges and see what the difference is and, where appropriate, mention the huge disparity between the two.

Do you have suggestions for a top 5 EVs?  Would you agree with those offered?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

Expert my @r$e!

In no particular order (personal choice)

Hyundai ioniq 5 or 6

Kia EV6

Renault megane

New Kona

Audi Q4

Skoda Enyak

BMW ix1

Nissan Ariya

Maybe Atto 3 and MG ZS

MFillingham
        Participant

MG ZS has a few reports of brakes failing and cars only stopping with regen and a soft bump.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

GaryV
          Participant

Expert my @r$e! In no particular order (personal choice) Hyundai ioniq 5 or 6 Kia EV6 Renault megane New Kona Audi Q4 Skoda Enyak BMW ix1 Nissan Ariya Maybe Atto 3 and MG ZS

So what defines a motability expert?  Is there an NVQ I’m motabilityness ?

kezo
            Participant

Expert my @r$e! In no particular order (personal choice) Hyundai ioniq 5 or 6 Kia EV6 Renault megane New Kona Audi Q4 Skoda Enyak BMW ix1 Nissan Ariya Maybe Atto 3 and MG ZS

So what defines a motability expert? Is there an NVQ I’m motabilityness ?

It reminds me of the Daily Express articles you see online. They are ever not named or you have never heard of them!

It wouldn’t surprise me, if the cars listed were not done by the accounts dept – the cars they get a greater return on!

NVQ = Not Very Qualified ?

Rhodgie
              Participant

MG ZS has a few reports of brakes failing and cars only stopping with regen and a soft bump.

I’ve had the MG5 since Feb 2021 and I’m on a couple of MG forums, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of this.

kezo
                Participant

For cars that could easily have gotten a mention, there’s the MG4, Leaf (the car that started the trend!) The Mini, Megane E-Tech, Niro, EX30, Ariya, or the Soul (although that looks a lot of money for it’s size).

MG4 – Ideal option to the ID and cheeper to.

Nissan Leaf – Decent size car however, its beginning to fall behind now, which is a shame and safety not up to the mark.

Meagane E-Tech Cracking little car, pushing Reno into the modern era, Brilliant Android Automotive system. Boot maybe not suitable for all.

Niro – Decent car, bettered by the new Kona inc range.

Mini – Ideal for local shopping but, don’t expect to go far. New model coming next year, which will have better range and share many parts as the Ora.

EX30 – Makes obvious its use of PET. May not be suitable for disabled, due to everthing on touch screen.

Ariya – Good car but, doesn’t have the internal flare as the 5 and 6.

Soul – A cult with huge following, much like the Skoda Roomster was.

The Kona mentioned is the older version, which desn’t have such a commanding view as mentioned. Strange they included that, rather than the new one. Makes me wonder if there are greater returns on the cars mentioned?

kezo
                  Participant

I’ve had the MG5 since Feb 2021 and I’m on a couple of MG forums, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of this.

Remember that guy on the news Brian someone from Scotland, who couldn’t stop his new ZS and called police to assist. Strangely the car slowed down going round a roundabout where the police were waiting to stop him!

Not heard of any other situations.

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/interesting-worrying-story-from-scotland-zs-with-no-brakes.13818/

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by kezo.
                    MFillingham
                    Participant

1 in the Motability offers group, she scared herself but managed to crawl home thanks to regen.

2 on international ZS groups, which isn’t a lot considering the quantity sold.

Mark

Rhodgie
                      Participant

?? the guy on the news doesn’t count cause he was at… I’d also heard he ran a light and rather than get done again made it up to blame the car ?‍♂️ who knows ? but check out any photos of his car and it is undamaged ?

Haven’t seen the one in the offers group but who drives home only using regen if their brakes have failed ??

I’m not saying it can’t happen cause all these cars are full of electronics but it’s not a thing I’ve heard about in my time ?‍♂️

des
                        Participant

BYD Atto 3. Motabillity say ‘enormous 555ltr boot’ all the reviews I’ve read, then just read now to double check say the boot is 440ltr. That’s a big difference tbh.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.