Motability Car Reviews

• Creator
    Topic
    crispy

Please post reviews of your new Motability cars after you have had at least a week to get used to vehicle.

Start post with Make, Model, Version, to make it easy to find the one you are looking for, if you click reply to that particular post it should keep the same reviews together.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 163 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      NosherN
      Participant

The difference in gearboxes for X1 derivatives is due to engine torque application. The 4 wheel drive models use the Toyota sourced Aisin 8 Speed auto which is a conventional auto gearbox with no torque converter, hence experiencing the ‘lumpiness’ at low engine speed. This ‘lumpiness’ can also be experienced and attributed due to driving mode chosen. The Eco Pro mode is predominately for motorway or long uninterupted journeys as its main attribute is to save fuel, which it does by using a ‘coasting’ function and a softer ‘laggy’ throttle response, which can sometimes be experienced when pressing the accelerator when a sudden burst of speed is required. The default driving mode is ‘Normal’ which is as it states is ‘normal’ for general everyday town driving. I have found this mode to be more attentive for everyday use with better throttle response at road junctions and traffic lights, although the drive can sometimes be quite ‘aggressive’ if the accelerator is pressed harshly when slowly moving or when in a high gear. Sport mode is self explanatory, being for times of rapid acceleration with the gearbox holding onto gears much longer in the rev range for greater acceleration to attain rapid higher speeds.

The ‘lumpiness’ can also be the result of different people driving the car as the gearbox has a ‘learning’ memory function which attempts to map out the driving style of the driver, which sometimes results in a miscalculation. I have had the software reset several times on my X1 for the reasons of unanticipated drive characteristics only for the the issue to be resolved and then return some weeks later as my wife also drives my X1 of whom has a different driving style to myself.

The 7 speed gearbox as fitted to the 2 wheel drive X1 is a twin clutch DSG type unit made under licence for BMW by Steyer in Austria. This gearbox is mated to the lesser torque engines and again has no torque converter. I have no experience of driving any BMW with this engine so cannot comment of its driving characteristics.

The premium gearbox is the ZF 8 speed auto as fitted to the premium BMW ranges which of those who have experienced these ZF gearboxes you will know how refined they are, with no lumpiness, lag, jerkiness or snatching of gears which is due to the application of the torque converter which acts as a shock absorber in reducing and refining high inertia power to produce smooth gear changes.

Glos Guy
        Participant

NosherN – Thank you so much for that detailed explanation. Even though I have next to zero technical or mechanical knowledge that sort of made sense to me! I do tend to switch into EcoPro mode straight away (or as soon as I remember to) and have never experienced any lag (unlike the Tiguan which was laggy as hell in Eco), so I will try it today in Standard (Comfort) mode and see if that makes any difference. I have a 110 mile round trip today, although around 90 miles of this is motorway. I have never found the need to use Sport mode in BMW’s as I always find standard and even Eco Pro modes to be extremely responsive, even for rapid overtaking. Sadly my wife is no longer able to drive, so it won’t be due to different drivers.

Reference the different auto gearboxes, until last year I had a privately owned 2015 BMW 520d Auto. Do you know which type of auto that would have had, as there was no lumpiness in that car at all? I always drove it in EcoPro mode and there was never an ounce of lag either. In fact it didn’t feel much slower than the 530d company car that I’d had before it.

I don’t want to overplay this ‘lumpiness’. It really is minor and even when it’s done it my wife says that she cannot feel it at all. It’s also only apparent at very low speed and revs in certain conditions, not during normal driving. I suppose that having driven hundreds of different cars and probably around 30 BMW’s I pick up on even the slightest nuances between cars!

Fastbike1000
          Participant

Very good info indeed NosherN.

Glos Guy. The first thing I do is put it into eco Pro, not for fuel saving but to soften a bit off the acceleration as I usually have my leggy dog (a lurcher) with me. It’s also quite good in snow.

joss

I tend to drive in eco pro 95% of the time. One thing I hate is the stop start, so I turn that off. I have noticed smoother pulling away.

Joss
              Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

George

I have a BMW X1 4 wheel drive my second car of the same model on the scheme both cars have been very smooth without any of the lumpiness you describe This X1 l have now also is quite a bit more economical on fuel than my previous X1. Re. The gearbox all the specs l have studied on the car have informed me that it does indeed have a torque converter present.

Fastbike1000
                Participant

I tend to drive in eco pro 95% of the time. One thing I hate is the stop start, so I turn that off. I have noticed smoother pulling away.

I don’t mind the stop / start, but I don’t do a lot of town driving.

Glos Guy
                  Participant

Update on the minor ‘lumpiness’ issue at low speeds when easing off throttle. Following NosherN’s comments I left the car in ‘Comfort’ mode today until we joined the motorway when I selected EcoPro. No lumpiness at all, so it might well be to do with EcoPro at low speeds / rpm. As an aside, now up to 43.5mpg on the first tank of fuel. 500 miles since I last filled up and I still have a remaining range of 53 miles. For a powerful 2.0i petrol auto with 4WD I find that incredible.

NosherN
                    Participant

I think maybe I should of worded my comment more precise to avert any misunderstanding.

‘George’ You are correct the high capacity engines do use a torque converter. I put my mistake down to the time I made my post!,,,,,it was a long day!

Going back to my earlier post I have found that using Eco Pro mode for town driving will present a noticeable delay in throttle response when compared to the other two modes of ‘Normal’ and ‘Sport’. And as mentioned by Fastbike1000 it is a recommended mode for driving in snow due to its gentle and subtle drive power delivery. Eco Pro mode can still be used to drive quickly but there is a noticeable change in gear change refinement unless the paddle shifts are used, which is when I use them most, in particular on a hilly section of A road or motorway when overtaking at short notice is required. ‘Sport’ mode is in my opinion a irrelevant mode and not required on this type of vehicle. However, I have to confess to using it ‘very enthusiastically’ sometimes when at the traffic lights and needing to get a rapid getaway!

Having assessed Eco Pro and Standard driving modes for driving around town in my experience the fuel savings are negligble. Eco Pro in my view is strictly for uninterupted road journeys and does deliver exceptional fuel economy for a reasonably high performance engine.

My comments relate to my experiences of driving my 2018MY X1 2.0i X-Drive. Since the introduction of WLTP the X1 has undergone some minor changes which may produce different results and views, that I will understand more when my imminent X1 arrives hopefully in the next month or two.

Glos Guy the gearbox as fitted to your 520d would have been a ZF Auto, to be precise a ZF 8HP45.

joss

Well @NosherN I have been using Eco pro 95% of the time. So I am now going to try “normal mode” and see how I get on with that. Most of my driving is local and town,  with a trip to Sheffield every week which is all motor way. Thanks for your insight on this.

Joss

Fastbike1000
                        Participant

Well @NosherN I have been using Eco pro 95% of the time. So I am now going to try “normal mode” and see how I get on with that. Most of my driving is local and town, with a trip to Sheffield every week which is all motor way. Thanks for your insight on this.

Yep, I gave it a go this morning when I dropped the wife off. The dog banged his head a few times but I’m sure we will get used to it.

On a serious note it felt a lot better especially at junctions.

joss

Yes I would have to agree with you @Fastbike1000, It is much smoother in pulling away from lights and junctions etc. I wonder what fuel consumption will be like?

Joss

Richardw

We have the 2.0d x drive 2 series Gran Coupe and it is always driven in comfort mode. On an 11 hour trip to the Isle of Skye it averaged over 50 mpg. Eco pro I find a little distracting as the tendency is to try and stop the display turning grey but to me it just removes the whole point of driving a BMW in the first place. With 4 children I am not a fast driver but love the safety of quick overtakes and being able to pull out of junctions and get up to speed quickly.

Glos Guy
                              Participant

Some very good points have been made. I am going to need to fill up soon for the first time since I took delivery of my X1, so I might run the entire next tank on Comfort rather than EcoPro and see how I get on. Within reason, I’m not too bothered about mpg, so if it makes a positive difference to the driving experience for a small loss of mpg I can live with that.

Wigwam

For what it’s worth, I used to use Eco Pro all the time on our X1. Acknowledging it had the 7 speed DCT box being two wheel drive and the engine a different state of tune to the latest version, I reckoned using it didn’t make much difference to economy on a motorway run, but did in local driving.

Glos Guy
                                  Participant

For what it’s worth, I used to use Eco Pro all the time on our X1. Acknowledging it had the 7 speed DCT box being two wheel drive and the engine a different state of tune to the latest version, I reckoned using it didn’t make much difference to economy on a motorway run, but did in local driving.

Just filled up with fuel. Will see how this tank full does on comfort mode versus the last tank full which was 90% EcoPro. How’s the Volvo Wigwam? I know it’s early days but are you pleased with it? I suspect that, like me, you are very relieved to have been able to secure a new car in a reasonably quick time. Think we both got our orders in just in time, as things seem to be going from bad to worse.

Wigwam
                                    Participant

So far, very pleased with the XC40, Glos Guy. A full review will be coming, but yes, glad to have got in just in time, and avoided the uncertainty and delays others are suffering.

Glos Guy
                                      Participant

So far, very pleased with the XC40, Glos Guy. A full review will be coming, but yes, glad to have got in just in time, and avoided the uncertainty and delays others are suffering.

Great stuff. Pleased to hear that you like it. I shall look forward to reading your full review in good time. In the meantime, enjoy the car.

Coral Winship

I just ordered a id3 last weekend was told January at the lastest called vw today to get my order number and now he saying doesn’t even have a build date so the code is on p so he’s saying that can’t even give a ruff date not sure what todo now anyone else with this please

Brydo

Looking forward to what you have to say wigwam.

Ian

Are these electric cars 4×4?

matt9815
                                              Participant

I just ordered a id3 last weekend was told January at the lastest called vw today to get my order number and now he saying doesn’t even have a build date so the code is on p so he’s saying that can’t even give a ruff date not sure what todo now anyone else with this please

I spent ages scouring autotrader for models that were available on the scheme, then when I found one last week I ordered it and it arrives first week in September.

There aren’t many around, as I found out some companies are buying them in bulk as they come through, but if you keep looking you should find one. You may have to travel, but it beats waiting months.

Wigwam
                                                Participant

Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro

I promised a review of the car we collected on 31st July and here it is, having now done 1000 miles. The background as some will know is we exchanged our 3 year old X-line S-drive BMW X1 for the Volvo. I’m going to try for the sake of those unfamiliar with the X1 to avoid making this a ‘better or worse’ review, although that may occasionally be unavoidable. The car is to standard spec, the only addition being electrically folding rear seat headrests, being the only way to get a clear view rearwards as the outer headrests are normally fixed.

First the dealership experience. Our X1 had a dent and paint damage on one of the doors which the salesman we ordered the Volvo from had previously thought would not prevent us getting the £600 good condition bonus, and he was right. On changeover day, as we sat at the salesman’s desk, he did what seemed like a lot of data entry, during which my phone pinged with an email from Motability saying a cheque was on its way.

Once all the administration was done, we moved to a brightly lit undercover bay where the car was waiting for us. The dealership is quite new and very well equipped and laid out, and in the bay was a worktop height desk with good height seats which MrsW was happy to perch on to watch while the salesman and I went over the car. This probably took 20 minutes or more as the salesman explained and demonstrated the features of the car and the controls and infotainment stuff. He set up the free eSIM (for internet connection and WiFi hotspot) and connecting the Volvo Cars app on my phone to the car. He also demonstrated saving profiles to the keys – an important thing to us as one of the reasons for choosing the car was so whoever was driving could unlock the car and know that the driver’s seat and mirrors were adjusted to suit. With the car set up for MrsW to drive, I can hardly get in the driver’s seat, so it was always a chore for either of us to move things around in the previous car which had manual seats. So, everything completed, MrsW put in the magic PIN and we were good to go. The dealer took the car out of the bay, we got aboard and I drove away. So, an absolutely first class handover, if a little long at about an hour and a quarter. It seems as cars get more complex, these things take longer.

One positive and one negative about the preparation of the car. The fuel tank was three-quarters full and the battery fully charged, but the tyres had not been reduced from 40psi to the proper working pressures.

And now to the car itself:

At first we struggled with the SatNav which is a little cranky after the BMW system. For example, I could say to the X1 “Navigate to Heathrow Airport” and it would offer some variations like terminal numbers which I would select. The XC40 knows nothing apart from its address database. It’s necessary to ask it to “Search Heathrow Airport”. Then it will say it’s searching POIs and eventually comes up with some choices such as North Perimeter Road, which gets close. No where near as slick as the X1. Fortunately, as with the BMW app, it’s easy to use the Volvo app to find destinations in advance and push them to the car. The salesman had warned us that after the BMW, not to rely on the voice control for the SatNav.

The Sensus system which has most controls and setting on a large touch screen, is criticised by some but we have found it fine. Reviewers often fail to mention that there is a small popup display in the main instrument cluster directly in front of the driver, operated by steering wheel buttons from which phone numbers, media tracks and radio stations and navigation recent destinations show and can be selected without needing to look at the main screen. The smaller side screen buttons on the main Sensus display are mostly for features that are unlikely to be needed while on the move and those on the main home screen are large and easy to tap. Lack of physical buttons for the HVAC is also not a problem, the system is excellent at automatically maintaining the set temperature and adjusting airflow, the whole system is electric and instant and not dependent on the engine to provide heat or operate a compressor, so we’ve found no need to fiddle with temperature settings. Even on the lowest fan speed the face vents give lots of air and are easily controlled. And the HVAC is also voice controlled but, except for amusement, we’ve not needed to say “I’m hot” to make it turn the temperature down.

The Media system is good. We use a USB memory stick with all our music in FLAC format. Voice searching for an artist or track works, to MrsW’s delight and album covers are shown.  DAB radio shows station art and program details. I use TuneIn internet radio too.

Sound quality is fine, very nicely balanced at low listening levels, and good at normal comfort levels, if a little bass heavy on some material, perhaps less controlled when stretched, but we don’t go for very loud. The sound is front focused and for me it would be better with bigger speakers in the back doors to balance it up.

Phone works fine, there are two Bluetooth channels so two phones can be connected and a couple of prods on the main central screen will switch from one to the other. As mentioned you can select and call contacts using the steering wheel controls and pop up list in the driver’s display. There is only one USB port in the front, which our memory stick occupies, so we have a charger adapter plugged into the 12V outlet which sits next to it. There is also plenty of space for two phones in the front of the centre console.

Which brings on to the benefits of being a PHEV. These are not exclusive to the XC40 of course. The main one for us is the quietness and smoothness of setting off and when travelling at lower speeds and in town. Even with a depleted battery the engine will turn off before coming to a stop and will only restart once the car is moving away, usually once 10mph or more is reached. This is so much more advanced then any stop/start system on a conventional ICE vehicle. Most of the time it is impossible to know from the sound and feel of the car whether it is running on battery or engine when moving about at normal speeds. In ‘Pure’ mode, the displayed 27 miles is achievable with a reasonably light foot. But to get that mileage the car reduces the HVAC output and I’ve noticed on occasion the top of the screen starting to mist. Turning the (electric) screen heater on for a minute clears it though. In ‘Hybrid’ mode, the lowest range I’ve measured is 20 miles, going out and about at up to 50mph, and the engine would sometimes come on for a few moments for its own reasons, not necessarily to provide drive. The claimed 24 miles is possible on reasonably level terrain and town speeds but 20 to 22 is more realistic. MrsW has made a couple of round trips of about 150 miles cross country and we’ve made two of 190 miles mostly motorway, other journeys have often been such that recharging overnight has covered the mileage with some others probably about 40 miles. According to the Volvo Cars app, the worst long journey petrol consumption with a depleted battery has been 42.5 mpg (cross country) and the best 56.2 mpg (mostly motorway). The average consumption over 1019 miles is 64.1 mpg but of course that says nothing about the electricity consumed. In summary I said that I would be happy if on long journeys the car did not much worse than the X1 on fuel, and it’s easily lived up to that.

So, the car in general – it’s a delight. The seats are very comfortable, interior quality is good, plenty of storage, cup holders don’t get in the way, and relaxing to drive. Auto-box is faultless, as is the transition from electric drive to engine. Brakes are smoother and more progressive than I found the X1 to be. It’s hard to find negatives. The remote control keys are a nonsense, putting small buttons on one edge, means I always have to look at the key to see where to press. There are no coat hanger hooks in the back. The engine when stretched is a bit noisy and harsh to my ears but it only lasts seconds, after all, when getting up to speed in a hurry or overtaking. Hauling up long hills, it’s subdued. It’s not an enjoyable sound like the B48 engine in the X1, so it doesn’t encourage you to take advantage of it for fun, but it’s fine for the style of car. The combined acceleration of the engine and electric is easily up to the X1 however and I’ve not felt the need to use ‘Power’ mode, which Volvo amusingly tags ‘for sporty driving’.

Conclusion? Absolutely the right choice for us. To be fair, the only other option that would suit our needs would have been another X1 with the extra features our old one didn’t have. But we liked the idea of being a PHEV and all that entails, we liked the taller height making it easier to get in and out of, and I liked the prospect of getting the car de-iced and warmed up for MrsW’s winter commutes from the comfort of the breakfast table.

Glos Guy
                                                  Participant

An excellent review Wigwam, which I enjoyed reading. Very balanced, highlighting the positives and the less strong areas, which any credible review should offer. I’m delighted to hear that you and Mrs W are both pleased with the car, as it’s always a risk when you move to something completely different. With any test drive of a swanky new car it’s easy to get carried away with new features etc but it’s only when you’ve had the car for a while that you really find out if it lives up to the job. Our new X1 has lived up to expectation as well, so that’s two of us sorted. I think that we were both very fortunate to get our cars as quickly as we did, given the experiences being reported daily on this forum with ludicrously long lead times. Happy motoring!

P.S. I know exactly what you mean about the electric seats with memory. When Mrs Glos Guy was still driving we also had massively different driving positions and we opted for that on our last Tiguan. Sadly, she is unable to drive anymore, but it does mean that we no longer need that option, which is a relief as it’s only available in a pack on the X1.

P.P.S. You were spot on about the standard HiFi in the X1. I was disappointed that the Harman/kardon option was deleted from our order, but we were both saying earlier when in the car that the standard system is actually very good, so we saved a few quid there.

Gary

Good review Wigwam, got any pics? and did you get your glass tinted yet? If so what did you get and how much did it cost?

Excited for mine, sep 14-28 is my window, hope no delays

Wigwam
                                                      Participant

I haven’t done any pics. The car’s too dirty!  Getting the windows tinted end of the month. We’re away until then. £150. Fingers crossed for yours.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 163 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.