MOT and Kwik Fit

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121314 Reply
    Zoe

My mitsubishi asx went for an MOT and service today and they failed the MOT as motability wouldn’t let them change the back tyre it has to be done at Kwik Fit. They changed the break pads which were grinding and the reason the car was originally brought in. It took all day half hour away and no courtesy car was given so my husband struggled to get home as they said the wait would be too long and they refused to collect the car due to covid. They had no protection on and they didn’t even use a sheet in the car when driving with covid is not good but I digress.

They said we have to take the care to Kwik fit get the tyre replaced and come back for the MOT but my question is, does motability allow for Kwik Fit to do the MOT so we don’t have to do without a car for another day?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121315 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

Kwik Fit have a mobile service where they come to your house :

Tyres fitted at home: a closer look at Kwik Fit’s Mobile service

#121316 Reply
    Zoe

Yes Kwik fit aren’t the issue, it’s when it does back in for MOT the garage aren’t the best and keep it all day so if Kwik fit can do it I can kill two birds with one stone. We know that the only thing needed to pass if the tyre

#121318 Reply
    martino
    Participant

last year i took my xc60 into Volvo for mot i did get a lone car they called me up about 4.30 said it failed mot on a few things light wipers and two front tiers they said the other stuff was done but they had to keep the car till the next cause kwik fit was going to the Volvo garage to do the tiers i then got it the next night

dont see how they cant do that for you and give you a car

#121337 Reply
    Zoe

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Well I don’t know either but they blame everything on covid</p>

#121345 Reply
    simpleman

Do you not check your tyres ?  you could of been fined if stopped by the Police.

#121347 Reply
    Zoe

I do and they are just on the limit they and Kwik fit said they were fine in January when we had the front ones changed, motability also refused the dealer to change it. 

#121350 Reply
    Motaxyz
    Participant

Motability/Kwikfit won’t let you change tyres as you would yourself, they have to be right on the limit in my experience.

#121354 Reply
    simpleman

motability  will via Kwik-fit change your tyres at 3mm the legal limit is 1.6mm.   Kwik-fit also do a free tyre check.

The dealer will not change tyres. The contract is with Kwik-fit.

#121363 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Motability through Krap Fit don’t change your tyres at 3mm, they make you wait until they’re down to 2mm and down right dangerous before they will change them.

I have had 7 lots of tyres done by Kwak Fat in the last 7 years and every time I have been sent away as they were not fully down to 2mm and when I have spoken to Motability about them being dangerous and all they say is take it to Klap Fit and have them check it, who always say it’s not 2mm yet! 🤬

#121364 Reply
    Rhodgie

Rubbish…. if 2mm was that dangerous take it up with the government who’ll tell you the legal limit is 1.6mm 🤦‍♂️

#121365 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Most tyres thesed ays have tyre tread depth indicator blocks, so when the tread is level with those markers the tyre needs changing usually as a pair. Also one should check them often for bulges in the side wall before any long or high speed journey, Also that the wear is even and the overall condition is good.

As the tread gets lower you will have less grip than when they are new but the legal limit is 1.6 mm and MB change at 2mm so there is no argument to be had on that issue. whatever my personal view or choice is.

#121367 Reply
    ade harley

Have today had a service and mot done at Hyundai, it passed but with red flags on the front tyres. I was advised by the service receptionist to get them changed ASAP. On the service sheet they are recorded at 4mm. Am I wrong to suspect, that as the Tucson is due to be changed in October, they are trying to have the cost of a tyre change put on mb, ready for return?

#121372 Reply
    Zoe

See I have a feeling it’s the same with my tyres. They know it is due back in September and in the morning they said about the tyre and break pads and told us it would cost £1200 before I told them it’s motability so something tells me they were trying it on. They weren’t very good, didnt wash the car etc as they do at other dealership and they had no PPE or use plastic covering like they do at other dealerships also. I think they were chancing it and that’s why motability refused to get the tyre changed (or the fact the contract is with Kwik fit) but my husband is taking it tomorrow so I will find out then if it is in fact low or they were chancing it as the car has hardly been used from March and the tyres were fine in January when they done the service

#121374 Reply
    Rhodgie

This is where I get into trouble for being too outspoken but again… rubbish 🤦‍♂️

They know your car is motability the minute it’s booked in.

They’re not washing cars now cause of covid. Probably same reason you never got a courtesy car.

They will have had PPE, they wouldn’t be open otherwise and staff wouldn’t work without it… you might not have seen it.

They won’t change any tyres in any dealers cause kwik fit have the contract.

You don’t say why the tyre failed the MOT, doesn’t have to be worn, could be damaged cause someone has hit a kerb or even a pothole… January was 7 months ago, things change, especially in the 3 months between January and March when you were using the car 🤷‍♂️

#121375 Reply
    martino
    Participant

so does that mean we’ll not get a courtesy anymore i wounder

#121376 Reply
    martino
    Participant

so the car dealer cat fail the car on the tiers then if motability will not change them

#121377 Reply
    Rhodgie

I doubt they’ll be any courtesy cars for a while, not impossible but they’re going to have to make sure they are cleaned before and after use so I wouldn’t count on it.

What do you think dealers do… make up stuff? If tyres fail an MOT then they need changed. They are getting changed in this instance 🤷‍♂️ …. I’m sure if the garage said fail and kwik fit said no they’re fine the motability would have questions for them?

#121378 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, and because I’m yet to experience the world of Motability, when they replace the tyres do they put the same brand back on or are you left with KwikFit budget brands?

#121380 Reply
    martino
    Participant

its up to motability usually kwikfit tell them what they have available , but usually pirelli ,  michelin,

#121381 Reply
    Ianfca

We had to have 2 new tyres fitted this week on our qashqai. The original tyres were Dunlop’s and they were replaced with Michelin’s.

#121383 Reply
    Ianfca

Apologies for the rogue apostrophes, damn predictive text.

#121386 Reply
    Rhodgie

Not always the same brand but always decent ones, as stated above, Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear etc

#121388 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Everytime i have taken a car to the dealer for something or a service it says how much tread is on the tyres on the paperwork. it’s under the basic saftey checks they do when they have the car.

Yes it’s to make them more money, as well as it’s being a legal requirement. So theu don’t get sued for your illegal tyre blowing at 70 mph on the motorway mins after it’s been in their care.

As for the Mot that is a different check totally and last time mein went in for mot it needed the rear pads doing and Mb authorised it right there and then a tyre they won’t as it is our job to make sure they are road worthy and meet the legal requirement and it is us that will get points or a fine or even banned.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-safe

You’re responsible for making sure your vehicle is always safe to drive (‘roadworthy’). It can be unsafe even if you have a current MOT certificate.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
    There are different rules for commercial vehicles.
    Checks you should carry out
    Every time you drive you should check:

the windscreen, windows and mirrors are clean
    all lights work
    the brakes work
    Your vehicle’s handbook will tell you how often to check the:

engine oil
    water level in the radiator or expansion tank
    brake fluid level
    battery
    windscreen and rear window washer bottles – top up with windscreen washer fluid if necessary
    tyres – they must have the correct tread depth and be free of cuts and defects
    The handbook will also tell you when your vehicle needs to be serviced.

Tyre tread
    Tread must be a certain depth depending on the type of vehicle:

cars, light vans and light trailers – 1.6 millimetres (mm)
    motorcycles, large vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles – 1mm
    Mopeds only need to have visible tread.

There must be tread across the middle three-quarters and around the entire tyre.

#121390 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

Cheers for the info all 👍. I’m relieved they authorise decent brands.

#121391 Reply
    Rhodgie

“Everytime i have taken a car to the dealer for something or a service it says how much tread is on the tyres on the paperwork. it’s under the basic saftey checks they do when they have the car.

Yes it’s to make them more money, as well as it’s being a legal requirement.”

Which is it rox? 

Money making scheme or legal requirement… can’t be both 🤷‍♂️ and to give you a clue… the garage doesn’t replace tyres so won’t be making any money on them 🤔😉

You are right that the driver is responsible for ensuring the tyres are legal and safe so who’s at fault if your illegal tyre blows out on the motorway

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
Reply To: MOT and Kwik Fit
Your information: