Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Running Cost

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121149 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Since the 19th July (14 days) I have covered 430 mile in our Outlander PHEV all of our drives are local except for two 72  (144) miles journey to see the grandson,  to date to travel those 430 miles we have spent £5.70 on electric and less than a litre of petrol, total cost £6.82

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Oscarmax.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121151 Reply
    File28

Impressive results for such a large vehicle

#121152 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Fantastic well done

#121156 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I am try to highlight you can still have a family vehicle capable of carrying the family and a mobility scooter/wheel chair with affordable running cost, I recon I am at least £50 better off over the past few weeks.

To date we have had the Outlander PHEV 44 days and covered 1353 miles, of those miles 360 consisted of towing a 1500 kg caravan and 993 miles solo, comparing it to our previous Ford Kuga Powershift Diesel 150 bhp, the Kuga returned approximately 40 mpg solo and 28 mpg towing, over the same period the Kuga would have cost us £198.97, the Outlander PHEV cost us £87.72 a saving of £111.25

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#121162 Reply
    roly
    Participant

Agree – we’ve had ours 1 month today. Have only covered 230 miles, but all on electric and have added about 50kW, costing £7.50. Still waiting to get a smart meter installed so that we can get a cheap night rate. Once I do, the 50kWh will cost £2.50.

Very pleased as I was concerned it might not make a regular 22 mile round-trip including 10 miles on motorway on electric only – but it does (even at 70mph) and with c. 8 miles capacity remaining.

#121165 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Roly at this time of year from near Stafford to our daughters in Edgbaston Birmingham it 36 miles, about 50% of that is motorway, I set the speed limiter @55mph and can only just do it on electric 36 miles, fortunately the daughter lets us plug in with the granny lead.

I found if I set the speed limiter to 60 mph the range drops to 33-34 miles. Nice to know you are achieving very similar figures. We are with Octopus Go and get the 5 pence a kWh night rate.

#121175 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@Oscarmax & @Roly,

WoW. That’s amazing.
    Thank you for posting your figures. It really does go to show the savings in real world driving. 👍👍

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#121177 Reply
    Brydo

Thanks for sharing guys, massive cost savings from a big car, it shows that a large PHEV can meet the needs of many disabled.

Guys can you post regularly giving an account of your fuel costs and how its working for you?

#121200 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Cost savings yes, but at what cost? Driving on the motorway at 1mph slower than trucks limited to 56mph is not my idea of driving enjoyment, having been a HGV driver I know how mind numbing it is but to be slower than that I just couldn’t do it!

#121206 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Cost savings yes, but at what cost? Driving on the motorway at 1mph slower than trucks limited to 56mph is not my idea of driving enjoyment, having been a HGV driver I know how mind numbing it is but to be slower than that I just couldn’t do it!

You do not have to drive at 55 mph on the motorway, you can still drive at 60mph or as Roly 70 mph, we are highlighting the running cost, many of us are on limited budgets, this is about the running cost over the 3 year lease.

If a large PHEV like the Outlander can achieve these running cost can you imagine the savings to be made with the lighter Skoda Superb and Kia/Hyundai PHEV’s, the running cost of a  full EV over the 3 year are going to be far greater.

#121207 Reply
    Menorca Mike

How much extra cost to do 70 mph on motorway ?

#121210 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

You will have to ask Roly, I seldom drive over 60 mph on the motorway

#121213 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

You will have to ask Roly, I seldom drive over 60 mph on the motorway

Here we go the press recon on 36.9 mpg on pure petrol @ 70mph on the motorway

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-4wd-2019-review

#121216 Reply
    roly
    Participant

A regular round-trip I do several times a week incorporates a 5 mile section of M4 (J36-J37 – if you know it, you’ll know there are two big hills involved). The total round trip is 24 miles, including sections of road with 50, 40 and 30 limits.

Driving at 70MPH on the motorway (on electric), I can do the entire round trip and still arrive back home with an indicated 6 miles electric range.

So I make that a realistic range of 24+6 miles=30 miles which includes, as I say, 10 miles @ 70MPH on the M4.

When I jumped in the car this morning, after an overnight charge, it was indicating 42 miles electric range – that obviously was not achieved due to the motorway driving, but I have every confidence that if I were to pootle around at 25/30MPH, I’d get close to 40 miles range.

Oh, and the air con and radio were on the whole time 🙂

#121219 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Have you noticed when you switch the aircon on the guessmeter drops a bit. I brought some wind deflectors of eBay so not used the aircon much.

#121221 Reply
    roly
    Participant

I don’t know, as the aircon is always in Auto mode @ 20 degC.

It will cause a drop in the estimated range though, as it consumes energy.

#121233 Reply
    roly
    Participant

I must say, based on this straw poll of two, this review seems to be harsh:

The electric only range is quoted at 33 miles, WLTP quote it at 28 but the reality is closer to 15-20 miles. The petrol engine is improved but remains very thirsty and the moment it kicks in you are draining the tiny 45 litre tank faster than you would believe.

The WLTP figure is about right. Also, even when running it as a Toyota-esq “self-charging” hybrid, high 30s mpg is still achievable at 70mph.

#121259 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Roly I am getting nearly 20 miles on electric at this time of year towing our caravan to the M6 toll road

#121260 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Roly I have done 23 miles today and still have 12 miles range left, I am regularly getting 35 actual measured miles.

#121970 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Well I decided to put some petrol in the Outlander PHEV, the other day we had to tow the caravan for servicing which was 30 miles on petrol towing, plus the other day the thunder and lightning switched my charger off so had to us petrol for the day.

We have travel 641 miles since coming back of holiday a month ago, too date we have used £8.88 in electric (Octopus Go 5 pence @kWh off peak) and just topped up the fuel tank at Tesco’s £1.089 litre cost £12.07 and took  11.08 litres.

So far 641 miles has cost us a total of £20.96, our old Ford Kuga @ 40 mpg would have cost £84.98 for the same journey’s. in total we have saved £64.00 this month alone, last month we saved over £80.00 in fuel cost towing a caravan, which included paying the Caravan site £20.00 for 10 charges.

So in the 8 weeks of ownership we have actual saved £164.98 in fuel cost compared to our Ford Kuga diesel.

We have also found our mileage has increased quite a lot we think nothing of popping out the garden centre or to see the grandson, we now have some much more freedom on our limit budget.

#121990 Reply
    joe

Thanks for the continued updates Oscarmax, I’m really interested in how you and Roly are getting on with the Outlander. Just hoping the AP falls through the floor next Quarter when we can order.

#121994 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Thanks for the continued updates Oscarmax, I’m really interested in how you and Roly are getting on with the Outlander. Just hoping the AP falls through the floor next Quarter when we can order.

Joe if you want a large SUV I would also look at the new Ford Kuga PHEV, I would not worry too much about the recent fire recall, It is only cars manufactured before June 2020, later cars  already have the update, the AP is much cheater than the Outlander PHEV plus a lot more extras as standard.

The reason we went for the Outlander PHEV mainly it low AP £1699, it has a higher towing weight to tow our 1500 kg caravan, were as the Kuga only had 1200kg. Have a look at the Kuga PHEV.

#122936 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

For the month of August I have travelled 541 miles our total mileage stands at 1811 miles to date I have spent £12.07 on fuel (16th August) and used £7.12 on electric =£19.19 not bad for 541 miles and I still have a fully tank of fuel and a full EV charge.

#122970 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

For the month of August I have travelled 541 miles our total mileage stands at 1811 miles to date I have spent £12.07 on fuel (16th August) and used £7.12 on electric =£19.19 not bad for 541 miles and I still have a fully tank of fuel and a full EV charge.

That’s cheap, I’ve just had August’s Polar PLUS bill through, £28.53, but 1596 miles though in August, I’ve had over 50kWh of free vend in the last week (thankyou Ionity), I don’t want to see my electricity bill though.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by gothitjulie.
    #122984 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

That’s cheap, I’ve just had August’s Polar PLUS bill through, £28.53, but 1596 miles though in August, I’ve had over 50kWh of free vend in the last week (thankyou Ionity), I don’t want to see my electricity bill though.[/quote]

You do realise if you convert your electric energy cost to petrol equivalent you are looking around 275mpg, it makes mine look like a gas guzzling dragon.

We only charge at home for 5 pence a kWh off peak

#122995 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

That’s cheap, I’ve just had August’s Polar PLUS bill through, £28.53, but 1596 miles though in August, I’ve had over 50kWh of free vend in the last week (thankyou Ionity), I don’t want to see my electricity bill though.

You do realise if you convert your electric energy cost to petrol equivalent you are looking around 275mpg, it makes mine look like a gas guzzling dragon. We only charge at home for 5 pence a kWh off peak[/quote]

I know, it’s the ability to slurp a quick 20kWh (under 20 minutes) or so at those free vend chargers as I’m passing that’s driving the costs down, it won’t last as free vend rapid chargers are rare in SE England.

It’s possible to charge for free at 7kW down the local train station (3 miles away) as I have set up the free disabled parking & the charging is free anyway. Technically I could get the bus directly back, again free as I have a bus pass. A lot of hassle though, & as people go back to the offices in London those charge posts will become occupied again. Crossing town just to pick the car up to go somewhere doesn’t appeal either.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Running Cost
Your information: