MG ZS EV – An EV game changer?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

It is great to get reviews from others on the forum but, as this car has just been released thats not possible. The next best option is to seek out a professional. This review shows the MG ZS to be a very decent and affordable EV.

It would be great to see it on the scheme and if it is a car that would suite you, why not contact motability and ask if is coming on the scheme.

Since we started discussing EV’s it is has been made clear that most would want/need a 300+ mile range. If that is not you then this car would be great car to start your EV journey with.

If you watch the video it shows a lot of kit for the money and remember if you mostly drive in the city the 160 miles range will be more like 180-200 miles.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brydo
      Participant

Article – MG Already Received Over 750 Orders For ZS EV In UK

There is nothing better than seeing that new electric cars are selling like hotcakes.
        The MG ZS EV offer is met with a great reception in the UK, as MG reports over 750 orders in about week since the official launch.

It’s not surprising as the car really nailed the affordable family SUV segment. Now, we understand why the entire network of 92 dealers in the UK are gearing up for EVs.

“Since the official introduction of the ZS EV at the London Motor Show and the price announcement last week, the eagerly anticipated all-electric family SUV has already attracted a surge of interest from the media and customers alike. So far, MG has already taken over 750 orders for the ZS EV in the first week since its launch.”
        Taking into consideration that MG sold a record 9,049 cars in 2018, the electric version should quickly reach a double-digit share in brand sales.

The relatively high number of orders is partially the result of generous promotion of £3,500 for the first 1,000 retail customers (plus £3,500 Plug-In Car Grant):

MG ZS EV Excite – from £21,495 (€23,810 / $26,720)
        MG ZS EV Exclusive – from £23,495 (£2,000 more) (€26,230 / $29,200)

a free home charging point and standard installation
        After the first batch of 1,000 cars, ordinary prices will be:

MG ZS EV Excite – from £24,995 (€27,910 / $31,065)
        MG ZS EV Exclusive – from £26,995 (£2,000 more) (€30,140 / $33,550)

…compared to £27,250 in the case of base Hyundai Kona Electric with a 39 kWh battery.

MG ZS EV specs:

WLTP range of 163 miles (262 km)
        44.5 kWh liquid-cooled battery pack (CATL cells)
        0-60 mph (96 km/h) in around 8.5 seconds
        105 kW (143 PS) and nd 353 Nm electric motor
        front-wheel-drive
        0-100% charging in 6.5 hours using 7 kW on-board charger
        0-80% DC fast charging in 43 minutes

JS
        Participant
          EVman

Some not so good news but there has been a Twitter spat about rust on the ZS. People have been banned and orders have been cancelled. Not a 7 year warranty on a lot of items and only 3 years on anti-perforation.

Philjb

I saw the videos and pics online.

The rust seems to be on white cars only so far. All are 6-71/2 months old.

But reading the small print on the warranty it’s so limited as to what’s included.

Only faults proven to be from the factory are covered in the 7 year warranty.

The limited paint warranty only comes into effect once the rust has caused holes in metal. Surface rust is isn’t covered even on body panels.

Seems they ARE cheap for a reason.

It’s been the case if you look closer on all recent MG’s and you can see were corners have been cut compared to mainstream western manufacturers.

cheaper isn’t always better.

Brydo
              Participant

Phil I rarely find that cheaper is better and this is bad news for MG in this day of social media, once a story is out, its out for good, especially if its bad news. Even if this is confined to certain cars, or they fix this ASAP they will always be regarded by many as cheap rubbish.

Philjb

Agreed Bri

The guy who’s video I watched first of all had previously been saying he liked it, but mainly on price as he thought depreciation would be so low he could buy one with the discount offer. Drive it for 12 months and 10,000 then sell it for probably more then he paid?

He ordered one in top spec then cancelled.

After he heard of the rust problems, that made him look closer at the warranties and he discovered hardly anything was covered.

The cars with rust MG said it’s not covered on all cases. The owners have clubbed together to take things further  and had some news that MG head office told them the dealer should cover it? The dealer said no it’s not covered until the rust causes holes as stated in the paint warranty.

How would they fix a car covered in rust after 6-7 months? Surely they’d have to scrap it and replace it as it, wax oiling etc won’t remove the rust and some is in some inaccessible places.

Also he said the cars low grade tech doesn’t allow him to use his solar energy to charge the car, costing him 30% more per year in energy charges.

The interior was not as nice as his current Niro, the seats weren’t as comfortable either?

A very long winded video to watch as the guy takes 30 mins to say he’s cancelled his order due to rust, limited warranty and not able to use solar power and he thought the interior was cheap compared to his current car.

I think I nodded off. lol

EVman

It’s good that if there is an issue it can be addressed now before they are sold. When Waxoyl could be used. I saw the photos on an MG site so they are of one of the £12k cars. They did say that the Dacia had similar issues.

SaintsMan

I just read that SAIC  (MG parent company) have connections with VW. They are part of a group of companies, including Ford, who are planning to use the same modular chassis for future EV’s

Philjb

The car effected come from the same batch, so obviously some part of the anti corrosion process was missed.

But it just shows that interested buyers were wondering how they made it so cheap and stories like this will be damaging to sales.

Dave Newbery

I have just happened to drop onto this thread regarding rust on MG ZS EVs, I wish I had seen this before purchasing mine new 21/1/20.  Mine has now covered around 3600 miles and is suffering from quite a lot of corrosion.

It has rusting evident on both Front wings where they bolt to the inner wings along with other under bonnet corrosion.

NS rear door has corrosion

There is also several areas on the floor pan where rust is taking place.

Presently the windows and both door mirrors have stopped working, unfortunately the dealer cannot get to it until 9th October 2020.

My advice would be to consider other options before buying an MG.

Rich

<p style=”text-align: left;”>How can the car not accept solar produced electricity? The car dosent care where/how the pixies were aggravated just that they were aggravated to the right level & number of them, as long as that’s right it’ll work.</p>
                            Sounds like crap to me or someone running a home gamer bodged together system?

As for the rust stuff that’s not great news esp how the warranty has been written again if as reported. This us the problem buying a Marque with no appropriate history you don’t know what you’re buying. Wouldn’t put me off, motability will have your back if it goes wrong like that.

gothitjulie
                            Participant

I think the solar electricity thing is about the minimum charge rate the car will accept, this isn’t unusual in EVs and you’d set it to charge at the minumum rate & draw a mixture of solar and grid electric to achieve that level.

The rust issue may have been down to there being no wheel arch linings, so when you open the bonnet you can see the inside of the wheels. This is something you’d see in cars from the 1960s, which rusted, but with the really thin panels of modern cars they would rust through without those plastic wheel arch linings in months, the MG ZS EV proves this.

Now you can buy wheel arch liners for the MG ZS EV you can fit them yourself & potentially solve the problem for a while as long as you know to fit them before the car is driven with salt on the roads.

There are reasons the MG ZS EV is comparably cheap, it’s missing features we’ve all got used to in cars. It’s still a good basic EV though.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.