MG-HS

• Creator
    Topic
  • #98774 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Coming Soon:

The MG HS replaces the MG GS. Developed at Longbridge, built in China.

Nissan Qashqai sized car starting under 18k up to £25k – Looks good value.

Engine:
    1490cc 16v turbocharged four-cylinder, 160bhp @ 5500rpm, 184lb ft @ 1500rpm

Transmission:
    Six-speed manual, front-wheel drive

Performance:
    9.9sec 0-62mph, 118mph, 37.2mpg (ouch) 148g/km CO2

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #98789 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

This will make it onto the scheme as it’s cheap and slow.

#98797 Reply
    Charles G

Slow and inefficient is quite an accomplishment in 2020. You’d have to be mad to spend 25k on one of these and can’t see it making much sense on the scheme compared to its rivals.

#99125 Reply
    George

Much better alternatives available. No positive points to this car at all.

#99128 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Can’t imagine these having a decent residual value which will make them either a no-go full stop, or high AP which will leave them way behind the competition on the scheme. Might be a bit of a bargain for the cash-buyer but…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#99170 Reply
    Georgie

Any modern mid/large SUV behemoth needs at least 180bhp just to be safe to drive joining fast traffic from a slip-road.  The current 200bhp cap is a joke.  Yesterday I watched a 40 ton lorry veer into the over-taking lane to avoid hitting the back of a Vauxhall Grandland that had just joined 60 mph traffic at c.45mph.  (I was hanging back in the over-taking lane to give the lorry room because I just knew what was coming . . . )

#99187 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Can’t agree with you there Georgie – I’m currently driving an XC60 with 190bhp and it is way more than is NEEDED to move the car – the 0-60 is a little under 8 seconds and the 150bhp Tiguan I’m currently waiting on has a 0-60 of 9 seconds which is still more than quick enough for joining motorway traffic or getting off of the line.  My last car was a Peugeot 407 with a 9.8 second 0-60 and that was plenty quick enough to be more than safe.
    The slowest Grandland I could find numbers for quickly does 0-60 in just over 11 seconds so I’m fairly confident that your experience the other day was down to the driver, not the car.

I do think some of the lesser SUV’s with sub 120bhp could well be a potential issue but they aren’t very common, fortunately, but 180 as a minimum is a little bit of a stretch IMO.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#99188 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Can’t agree with you there Georgie – I’m currently driving an XC60 with 190bhp and it is way more than is NEEDED to move the car – the 0-60 is a little under 8 seconds and the 150bhp Tiguan I’m currently waiting on has a 0-60 of 9 seconds which is still more than quick enough for joining motorway traffic or getting off of the line. My last car was a Peugeot 407 with a 9.8 second 0-60 and that was plenty quick enough to be more than safe. The slowest Grandland I could find numbers for quickly does 0-60 in just over 11 seconds so I’m fairly confident that your experience the other day was down to the driver, not the car. I do think some of the lesser SUV’s with sub 120bhp could well be a potential issue but they aren’t very common, fortunately, but 180 as a minimum is a little bit of a stretch IMO.

I am inclined to agree, however it also about gearing and power to weight ratio, we tow a caravan and like articulated have no problems joining the motorway.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#99189 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Any modern mid/large SUV behemoth needs at least 180bhp just to be safe to drive joining fast traffic from a slip-road. The current 200bhp cap is a joke. Yesterday I watched a 40 ton lorry veer into the over-taking lane to avoid hitting the back of a Vauxhall Grandland that had just joined 60 mph traffic at c.45mph. (I was hanging back in the over-taking lane to give the lorry room because I just knew what was coming . . . )

It seems to me the Vauxhall Grandland drive need some driving lessons?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#99206 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

You may have a point with the towing comment. When I chose the D4 in the Volvo over the D5, I did my usual googling and other research and the general consensus was that if you DIDN’T tow, you’d probably never notice the difference between the 190bhp D4 and the 220bhp D5.  Even though it was only a £50 upgrade, I decided to go with the 4 as it would never tow anything.

#99216 Reply
    Georgie

Yes in your opinion…..

#99239 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Yes it’s my opinion, but it’s an opinion based on driving a 190bhp SUV for the last three years, test driving a few 150bhp SUV’s in the last couple of months, and 7 years of driving pretty much everything under the sun while working for a big local Bodyshop.

#99266 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

0-60 times mean nothing in the real world, where you need the power is accelerating  between 20 & 50 and the MG looks poor to say the least.

#99268 Reply
    Philjb

These days slip roads are plenty long enough for any car to build up to motorway or A road speeds before joining the carriageway, but how many times do you see driver almost afraid to join or braking almost to a standstill and then joining. Lots of bad and indecisive drivers on the roads.

As for the MG Hs they’ve definitely improved over the years but it would have to be no AP or even cash back to chose it over other suvs on the scheme.

#99275 Reply
    POPS

I have 231bhp (X1 25D) at my disposal and I have to agree with posters who say that more available power equals more safety.

I can exit T junctions and join traffic islands and motorways with calm assured acceleration. I always try to drive very steadily and within all speed limits, but the instant response that I know I have under my right foot is a huge plus in tighter more hurried situations.

#100071 Reply
    Tharg

Oh, POPS – how I do so agree. Makes sense to choose the most powerful engine you can (mine’s a Superb with 230-ish bhp). NOT because I want to blast around at 155mph; simply because a more powerful motor will do all the low/normal speed motoring with much less fuss and far more smoothly that one that has just about enough bhp to do the job.  Will also last longer and, as POPS says, on those rare occasions when you need to accelerate out of a hazard, you can.

#100073 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

0-60 in 9 seconds is slow in my book.

#100074 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Pops and Tharg, the days of having decent powered cars on the scheme.

Now we are lucky to have anything above 148 bhp.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: MG-HS
Your information: