Mercedes pulling out of scheme?

• This topic has 29 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Micky.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #164418 Reply
    Socktug

Hi all, I’m a member of a few Motability Facebook groups and a dealer has just posted that Mercedes are pulling out of the scheme from Monday 20 September at 0900. If its true it may be worth getting orders in ASAP for anyone wanting to get one.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164419 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I have also heard that it may be a permanent move. Sad times.

#164420 Reply
    struth
    Participant

merc and bmw both said they intend increasing cost and wait times etc to make their marques more desirable. this could also be part of that. personally i think it is arrogance.

the nissan sales guy i was talking to said they have had a rush of mercedes folk coming in lately so maybe part of it

#164424 Reply
    Tim

They probably don’t like the thought of being muscled out of the scheme by the overwhelming popularity of Tesla offerings once they become available. Jumped before being pushed.

#164425 Reply
    Adam

This is true, just had a call from my local Mercedes dealer just now to tell me tell me it’s for the foreseeable future.

#164426 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I have driven several Mercedes cars, from A to M class. I never found them to be exceptional in their class. BMW will be interesting as they rack up a load on Motability sales. The scheme is evolving, charting a different course. Will it be calm seas or choppy waters?

#164437 Reply
    Paul

Why do motorbility not contact customers or say something on main sites to inform people of things like this,anyone who is planning to order a mercedes next week who is not active online will miss out

The last week  or so of any quarter, many people place orders and get dealers to honour the AP price if the next quarter it goes down.So some customers are going to be disappointed ,as this weekend is last chance for those wanting to order a mercedes.

#164493 Reply
    tim clark

Am I the only one who thinks Motability do not use their undoubted clout with these Manufactures, instead we seem to see endless adverts on the tv, youtube, etc extolling the virtues of the scheme, to whom, I have no idea, how much do you think these cost.?

#164494 Reply
    Bobby brown

I saw the advert on TV and thought I fancy being disabled and getting a free car how does that work ?

Got myself a copy of the Daily Express and bingo

I would have never known until the advert so brilliant marketing.

Who knew ?

I bet not many disabled people know about the  Motability scheme I cant wait to hear the radio advert

Just a shame they spent all that money on the advert and there are hardly any cars on the scheme that you would actually want to lease

I’ve got an idea……..

How about a using the pip details and sending out in the post to the actual address of the actual disabled person

Details about the Motability scheme

Targeted advertising its all the rage now

Motability could give away a free car to a youtube influencer and see if they could build up a following and create demand for Motability its all the rage nowadays

#164509 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

So..

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article233886868/Sixt-Ploetzlich-gibt-es-beim-groessten-Autovermieter-keine-Mercedes-mehr.html

I understand this is a german newspaper, but you can google-translate it. In short: Mercedes isn’t just pulling out of Motability. SIXT (car rental) doesn’t get Mercedes’ anymore either. They still offer VW, BMW etc – yet if you want a Mercedes as a rental, there’s only a few “special vehicles” (Vans, basically) left.

So it’s not just that they pulled out of Motability – they reduced their fleet services significantly overall, internationally.

#164535 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Now official – all Mercedes vehicles have disappeared from the Motability website this morning.

A very sad day indeed for an already significantly diminished scheme. I had expected Audi to be the first premium manufacturer to exit, as they have always seemed a bit half-hearted about Motability, disappearing completely for long periods and then, when they reappear, only offering small engines and little choice. Let’s hope that they aren’t next. If BMW exit then I think it’s safe to say that our current Motability car may well be our last. Just incredibly relieved that we took delivery of our new car around 6 weeks ago and didn’t extend the lease on our previous car as we had considered.

#164543 Reply
    Lord Muc

Yup, very sad day, no one will know, the real reason they have left the scheme, perhaps a perfect storm of events, or is it just to reposition the brand. One thing for sure, it shows again, a complete lack of negotiating skills at motobility. Life is too easy at the scheme’s HQ. I think its motobilitys aim, to rid the scheme of premium brands, raise APs on decent SUVs, and fill the scheme with less expensive cars, that they make a maximum and easy profit on, the ridiculous adverts don’t help anybody. JLR should be brought on board, and so should Tesla. My own Bmw’s AP, has priced itself off the scheme, and the leather interior is £1150 option.

#164544 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Yup, very sad day, no one will know, the real reason they have left the scheme, perhaps a perfect storm of events, or is it just to reposition the brand. One thing for sure, it shows again, a complete lack of negotiating skills at motobility. Life is too easy at the scheme’s HQ. I think its motobilitys aim, to rid the scheme of premium brands, raise APs on decent SUVs, and fill the scheme with less expensive cars, that they make a maximum and easy profit on, the ridiculous adverts don’t help anybody. JLR should be brought on board, and so should Tesla. My own Bmw’s AP, has priced itself off the scheme, and the leather interior is £1150 option.

I’m not sure which BMW you have, but the X1 20i xLine 4WD auto that we recently took delivery of was just £2,249 after the discount which I obtained (not advertised but achieved without them batting an eyelid) and has full leather trim as standard – the real stuff too!

#164547 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

I had considered ordering another BMW X1, even contacted my dealer about a 20i xline but after talking to him and explaining my concerns he advised to wait until next year. He sort of, in a round about way, said the X1 hybrid would be on and later the new X1 so I extended my lease. I don’t think he thought BMW would be leaving the scheme.

#164551 Reply
    Lord Muc

Glos, it’s the bmw gran coupe m sport, ap has gone up 1k, and leather interiors are now £1150 extra option, they were previously included in the package. I too, got a discount of £500, which was not offered. iirc, I paid less than £1k, including tinted glass to the rear. At the current AP price, the car is not worth it, not necessarily motobility’s fault, but the way things are going, my previous X1 was an msport, and was an Ap of £2999, without leather.

#164552 Reply
    Lord Muc

Fastbike, generally dealers are the last to know anything about motobility plans. Not saying bmw are coming off the scheme, but the signs are not encouraging. They could just leave Mini on.  The new x1, will be a nice desirable car, but may attract a high initial AP.

#164555 Reply
    Paul

So called premium brands audi,bmw and maybe volvo too will hike prices up even more now,under the illusion the mercedes customers will go to them.

#164556 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The new x1, will be a nice desirable car

Remains to be seen.

Generally, yes. But chances are, us Motability customers only get the 3 pot 136hp engine (if the car comes to the scheme), which appears to be BMWs “base engine” now for all new cars. I don’t know how appealing an SUV with 136hp is – had the same problem with the GLA, albeit that problem kinda solved itself now anyway.

#164557 Reply
    Paul

So called premium brands Audi,BMW and maybe volvo will hike prices up now,under the illusion mercedes customers will go to them.From numerous posts on here ,there are those who choose these brands over practicality based on the badge only..The A class and cla were not practical in anyway ,engines week,low height, small interior and boot space minmal. Those who have placed orders from mercedes recently, i dread to think ot the wait times and customer service quality they will receive going forward.

#164558 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I think nowadays people are looking for value for money amongst other things.

#164562 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i expect most of the current wanted cars still on will go up in ap. its a situation where both motability and car companies can pull in a bit more revenue.

As much as ive ordered a new car, i think it might have to be cancelled if wait times become silly. I expect many will just put motability builds back in favour of retail sales.

#164566 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

As much as ive ordered a new car, i think it might have to be cancelled if wait times become silly. I expect many will just put motability builds back in favour of retail sales.

If you’re ordering a factory build, you’re waiting as long as we do. Forums for specific cars are full of complaints in regards to waiting times.

Your only choice in that part is to get a vehicle from stock.

#164572 Reply
    struth
    Participant

well i could just not get one i suppose. starting more and more to make sense these days. but i will give nissan their chance to live up to their approx times.. ie, jan, feb

#164574 Reply
    Ian Price

And that is if the dealer is willing to sell it to you.

#164582 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Fastbike, generally dealers are the last to know anything about motobility plans.

I thought it was the customer who was the last to know. 😁

#164592 Reply
    Lord Muc

Lol. Your right. 😂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Mercedes pulling out of scheme?
Your information: