Mercedes GLA

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145579 Reply
    Abdikareem

Is anyone here waiting on delivery and for those that have the GLA hill how is the drive?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145593 Reply
    John Newton
    Participant

I seen a AMG GLA in the showroom yesterday when I picked up my new B-class it was a boy or girl racers wet dream I loved it.

No is a stupid word

#145699 Reply
    Craig

How did you get on with your new B Class John?

#145773 Reply
    AhmedRabil

Nice choice what colour did you go for

#145789 Reply
    John Newton
    Participant

Hi Craig my handover was a breeze and the car is more refined than I remember even the lowered comfort suspension is giving a more composed ride than my previous Skoda Superb. I think the surprise so far is the engine and gearbox, the Superb had 220 bhp but as people in the know will testify it’s more, going to a 1.3 was a worry but it’s actually a pretty sweet unit. I may get reactions about this but I swear the DSG is a lot better than the VAG unit which sometimes felt like it had gone on holiday. I should give mention to the wheels which are lovely.

No is a stupid word

#145809 Reply
    Craig

I agree with you regarding the B Class gearbox, it’s smoother then the VW one I had. It’s also quite nippy. I’ve had no problems overtaking at all.

#145821 Reply
    John Newton
    Participant

Hi Craig I agree it’s a nippy little scamp. I forgot to mention the Mercedes Me app I had the email to activate them before I picked it up, and the sliding back seats are brilliant to make more room for my guide dog Williamwho I should say likes the sliding roof.

No is a stupid word

#145841 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

Waiting on delivery of a GLA AMG Line Premium Plus.

Dealer said May, initially. He emailed me with an update on Friday that, according to the system, it looks all good for mid-May handover.

Can’t wait. I’ve never driven an automatic before, though, so I’m a little nervous about that.

#146147 Reply
    AhmedRabil

@The Don Nice! What colour did you go for

#146150 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

@The Don Nice! What colour did you go for

Cosmos Black!

#146163 Reply
    Richard

You’ll LOVE having an auto, some find they need time to adjust but I’ve never looked back yeah slamming a car thru gears is fun when you’re a young boy racer esp but I love my autos now.

Enjoy your car sounds amazing

#146191 Reply
    Gary

@John

What model B Class did you get?  Comfy over pot holes?

Looking to cancel our Touran order as they’ve had £500 of ours since Nov 3rd, and got a test drive of the B Class and GLA – our wheelchair fit in both, but unfortunately the GLA was a 200d model, and the B class was the 180.

Id prefer the GLA from a height perspective, but wifey wasn’t well enough to test, and don’t know how far back the seats recline with the wheelchair in, or how the lower powered 1.3 would be.

The B class drove ok on the lower powered 1.3 but wondered if the 163bhp one is much better.

Anyone with a GLA able to confirm ride comfort, and the usefulness of the 180 engine?

#146197 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

You’ll LOVE having an auto, some find they need time to adjust but I’ve never looked back yeah slamming a car thru gears is fun when you’re a young boy racer esp but I love my autos now. Enjoy your car sounds amazing

Thank you.

#146225 Reply
    MB5

I have the 163bhp engine in my A-Class and it is really nippy when it needs to be. Only very rarely have I noticed any apparent difference from coming down from a 2.0 diesel in my last car. Whilst I’d go up to the 220 given a chance, I would have another 200. The only time I notice it really having to pull hard is sudden acceleration to have to overtake on a motorway or the alike, but it soon hits its stride.

The fact that the GLA is only available in higher trims with the 180 engine (the lower powered 1.3) is putting me off going to a GLA this time because I think it would struggle with that engine doing a lot of motorway miles etc. The only GLA 200 (the higher powered 1.3) is in Sport trim. It’s really poor that they will not allow us to have the higher trim 200’s when the same are available on the 180’s.

#147476 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

Got a phonecall from Mercedes dealer today. Car delivery has been delayed indefinitely. Apparently it was something to do with sunroof production problems. He offred me to drop down from Premuim Plus, to premium, which I’m not willing to do. He has no idea how long the delay will be. He also asked if I’d consider a different Mercedes altogether and told me he can get me a CLA AMG Line 180 Premium Plus, within 10 days. I’m considering it. Only problem is, I wanted black (or myabe white) but he can only get sliver or denim blue. I’m going to see one tomorrow.

I feel like I’m settling, as I really wanted the GLA SUV but with no idea of wait time, I’m tempted by the CLA Coupe.

What would you do in my situation?

Also, do you think I have the right to ask for a discount or maybe added extra, by way of compensation for delay and hassle?

#147487 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your problems The Don. I would take your time with your decision. A decision made in haste can be regretted at leisure! First of all I would ask yourself how important was the SUV / higher driving position to your original decision. The CLA is the other extreme (very low), so a different beast altogether. Having had several black cars, personally I wouldn’t get another. They look fantastic when they are cleaned, but stay like that for a few hours only and then they look filthy, showing every mark. I found them to be a constant headache in that regard. IMO, the majority of Mercedes cars look best in silver, so if you do go for the CLA that’s probably the best colour for not showing all the dirt and looking smart. Finally, are you wedded to having a Merc? I was very tempted by the GLA Premium Plus as it’s very well equipped (other than no full leather option) and I loved the dash etc, but in addition to the production issues I was deterred by the small engines. Personally, I didn’t see the sense in getting a 1.3 litre 2WD when you can get 2.0 litre 4WD SUV’s on the scheme for less, even from other premium manufacturers. They do have less kit as standard, but you can add options with the difference in AP. The only problem with starting again is that 5 month lead times seem to be becoming the norm with the semiconductor and other shortages taking their toll, so that CLA could be a good compromise, but only if it ticks all your boxes, especially re access and space etc. As I say, I wouldn’t feel rushed into making a decision that you might regret.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 9 hours ago by Glos Guy.
    #147496 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your problems The Don. I would take your time with your decision. A decision made in haste can be regretted at leisure! First of all I would ask yourself how important was the SUV / higher driving position to your original decision. The CLA is the other extreme (very low), so a different beast altogether. Having had several black cars, personally I wouldn’t get another. They look fantastic when they are cleaned, but stay like that for a few hours only and then they look filthy, showing every mark. I found them to be a constant headache in that regard. IMO, the majority of Mercedes cars look best in silver, so if you do go for the CLA that’s probably the best colour for not showing all the dirt and looking smart. Finally, are you wedded to having a Merc? I was very tempted by the GLA Premium Plus as it’s very well equipped (other than no full leather option) and I loved the dash etc, but in addition to the production issues I was deterred by the small engines. Personally, I didn’t see the sense in getting a 1.3 litre 2WD when you can get 2.0 litre 4WD SUV’s on the scheme for less, even from other premium manufacturers. They do have less kit as standard, but you can add options with the difference in AP. The only problem with starting again is that 5 month lead times seem to be becoming the norm with the semiconductor and other shortages taking their toll, so that CLA could be a good compromise, but only if it ticks all your boxes, especially re access and space etc. As I say, I wouldn’t feel rushed into making a decision that you might regret.

Thanks GG. You make some very valid points!

Regarding 2wd/bigger engine size, that’s not really an issue for me. My current car (Jeep Compass) has the same setup and I was quite happy with it.

As for lead times, I’d rather wait longer for the GLA than wait (potentially) 5 months for another car. If I decide SUV style is a must-have, then I will only be considering the GLA. My heart was set on it, right from the start and it took me months of reviewing other SUVs before I finally pulled the trigger on it.

Tbh, the only other car I did consider was the CLA coupé but driving position will be a major factor in the decision.

Basically it has really only been between those two cars. If they were both available today, I’d go for the GLA but with the uncertainty over times, the CLA would be a beautiful compromise!

• This reply was modified 5 days, 8 hours ago by The Don.
    #147498 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Understand. Very difficult when you have your heart set on something. The GLA is certainly very well equipped and the interior is lovely. I would always hang on for what I want than compromise for the sake of a few months, but how long will you be made to wait? The good thing with Motability is that once you have ordered you can still get it eventually, even if it drops off the scheme in the meantime (which it has). I wish you well with your decision. I’m in a potential 5 months plus wait for a BMW, so I feel your pain!

#147500 Reply
    John Newton

My B200 was delayed because of the sunroof I ordered last July and it turned up a few weeks ago.

#147502 Reply
    Chub

My charger has just been fitted, I’m extremely happy from being told I couldn’t have one to just having one fitted.
    The guy came just before 8 (appointment was booked for 8). The Guy was polite and tidied up after himself he done a fantastic job and only took 2 hours. Feeling so blessed right now.

#147566 Reply
    Simon G

@ the Don.  I wanted the premium plus but their is a huge problem with the panoramic sunroof.  It’s such a shame as I find the GLA a bit dark inside without it

#147569 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

@ the Don. I wanted the premium plus but their is a huge problem with the panoramic sunroof. It’s such a shame as I find the GLA a bit dark inside without it

I’m very disappointed. Do you know what the problem is with the sunroofs?

Or why the delay?

#147570 Reply
    Simon G

Supply chain issue is all I was told

#147572 Reply
    Steadyhorse

I too fell foul with the sunroof issue. I ordered a B200 AMG Premium Plus back in December but was told in early April that it could be months before it turns up if at all. However, the dealer could lay his hands on a B200 AMG Premium in Iridium Silver within a matter of days. Much as I would have liked the sunroof the car really did tick all my boxes so I accepted that offer. Picked it up last week and the smile has not left my face since! Really pleased with it although it will probably take me 3 years to work out all the tech. The smaller engine does not seem to be a problem although it’s normally just me in the car. The car feels very good quality and although it is classed as an SUV it drives more like a saloon. My last car was a Touran which was more of a workhorse so I’m enjoying the extra luxury.

#147765 Reply
    Gary

Seems that the Premium Plus is no longer available in the B Class 🙁 I needed the electric seats that trim offers 🙁

#147770 Reply
    The Don
    Participant

The guy at Mercedes dealership told me that in all likelihood, all premium plus models will be pulled from the scheme. He also said that although my order is locked in, there is a possibility that Mercedes manufacturers themselves might just actually discontinue the premium plus model, altogether. He did say that was unlikely but wanted to make me aware.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Mercedes GLA
Your information: