Menorca Mike looking for info on Menorca.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar brydo 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #88467 Reply
    brydo

Mike looking to try menorca, for the first time, next year would be good to get your experiences of the various locations.

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #88469 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Brydo we went to the island for years we hired a car and I know the whole island it’s beautiful not busy to quiet for a lot of people ! The most gorgeous beaches in Europe Santa Thomas is lovely as is son bou the upmarket resort of fornnels with the boats is amazing ! No heavy traffic I hired an automatic merc lovely roads etc July August best weather

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#88470 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Are you looking for a particular hotel ?

#88471 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Anything you want to know please ask ?

#88479 Reply
    brydo

Mike my wife is in a wheelchair so anywhere too hilly is a problem, she prefers villas to hotels but mostly looking for a nice town with good places to eat out.

She likes the finer things in life, apart from me lol, so the upmarket fornnels you mentioned may be just the ticket.

#88481 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

There are many villas on the island Santa Thomas son bou are on the flat as is fornnels I haven’t been for 5 years as my partner prefers the night life of Benidorm etc ! I would go on the menorca forum for latest info don’t expect nightlife but expect gorgeous locations nice places to eat out peace and quiet ? Would you hire a car ?

#88482 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Avoid arenal de castell very hilly

#88489 Reply
    brydo

Mike I would probably kill myself and others if I hired a car lol.

Nice and quite is how we like it, cheers.

Will have a look at the forum

#88525 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

#88526 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Brydo is that paradise I think it is and just 2 hours away

#88536 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Spent many days, year after year on Santo Thomas beach pre-disabled but always hiring a car it was an easy drive to get there from the Ciutadella area.

Highly recommended but not been now for over 11 years so might have change in regards to eating out because back between 1990 and 2006 there was not many eating out places there, a few, but not many and its what makes the place quite.

That said we always had our bellies full before going out for a long day laying about on the golden sands listen to the music on my Mini-Disc player, later to become iPod. 😁

#88538 Reply
    brydo

Looks fantastic Mike, will be doing a bit of investigatory work on behalf of the wife as she likes to be near the beach, she likes it quite but not too quite. She loves to get onto the beach but is in a wheelchair.

#88541 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Chris we stayed in Victoria playa hotel in Santa Thomas was adults only years ago but now a super family Thomson hotel a gorgeous location with small supermarket outside and bus stop to Mahon the capital ! I’d love to live there so quiet many would get bored but I could watch the sea all day long

#88542 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

At San Thomas the sand is very soft and fine so I would find it very hard to walk on with a stick if at all but you do have a paved pavement running along the back of the beach and wheelchair access could be OK using the wooded slatted paths that go right down onto the sand so making it a very short step/lift onto the beach.

Bare in mind I’m talking from a 12 year old memory of a non disabled person I was then but with Google Street and Earth view you can get an idea of the conditions there today.

https://tinyurl.com/y5u4luvc

#88544 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

@Menorca Mike

I know that hotel Mike because although I’ve never stayed there I used to go through there grounds to get to an unpaved dirt track over a wall and through a whole in the fence at the back that took me through the woods, across the fields, over a hill and into the long beach at Son Bou.

Could not afford to use mobile phones back then at £1p per minute so kept in contact with her in doors back on the beach via walkie-talkies just so she knew I hadn’t fallen into any crevasses in the rocks.

I’ve forgotten how good it was not to be disabled. 😁

#88545 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes Chris google Earth is fab I’ve just been down the Main Street in Santa Thomas still looks lovely

#88546 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Chris son bou beach amazing did you see the duck pond next to the carpark on the beach ?

#88547 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

#88644 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Brydo do you do much cooking if so you will want a shop not far away ?

#88666 Reply
    Brydo

I do Mike but not usually on holiday, it depends a lot on how the wife is keeping. If she is struggling we would spend a lot of time in the villa, unfortunately illness doesn’t stay at home when On holiday.

#88674 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

You don’t want to be to far isolated lovely as the island is it’s handy to have one or two shops so a villa at Santa Thomas or son bou would suit imho

#88682 Reply
    brydo

Cheers Mike.

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Menorca Mike looking for info on Menorca.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: