Medical letter request madness

• Creator
    Topic
  • #48721 Reply
    Trev

Where the hell is the sense in this, requested letter from hospital and gp at the same time, not knowing which was best to ask…..got the letter i wanted from the hospital free and posted to me yesterday, but today i get a message from the surgery, they want £33 and for me to collect! Told them to bin it!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #48731 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi Trev

That seems about right for the England NHS GP’s surgery’s.

I remember back in the mid 90’s I had to make an insurance claim for loss of earnings, as I was self employed at the time, and my surgery at that time wanted £25.00 for the form to be signed by a doctor, and if i failed to get the form signed the claim would be declined.

I am glad we are up here in Scotland, I don’t know about other surgeries, but ours does not charge for letters or doctors signatures on forms, and we still get free prescriptions, thank goodness.

lightbodyae55

#48734 Reply
    Brydo

I’m in the west of Scotland and our gp wanted £80 to sign a will.

#48736 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi Brydo

Find another GP surgery then, or find a cheap advocate, or wait till I think its late October when they do Will Week and you can get one done for free!

lightbodyae55

#48737 Reply
    Anonymous

My doctor refuses to write letters for anyone for DWP, She says if they want any info tell them to ask her for the info they need. It makes it very difficult for me to include any doctors letters. I asked her if the DWP had ever asked her for any info. She said not for me but they have asked her for other patients and she charges the DWP for it.

#48738 Reply
    Trev

What i don’t get is how the hospital can be willing to provide the letter free of charge, but the gp surgery charge so much – shouldn’t they be singing off the same hymn sheet so to speak?

I explained to the surgery i’ve never requested a letter before, and I need it to confirm i have a medical need for my cpap machine, an appointment letter would suffice if it stated it was to review my sleep apnea – but no, the surgery doesn’t do appointment letters. And use of a cpap machine is not included on a prescription list, otherwise that would have suffice.

Our surgery has got worse anyhow, my annual mental health review with the gp is now done by telephone., only if something comes up in the call that is of concern will they make an appointment to see a gp face:face.

Praise to the respiratory medicine department in my hospital though, nothing seems to much trouble when it comes to my cpap machine… they have me on SOS, so i only have to contact them if i have a problem, no reviews or anything… free’s up appointment times for someone else, and if i need replacement parts i can contact the cpap manufacturer direct and they will send them out direct.

I fear for people who simply cannot afford for a doctors letter, how they proceed, i guess they go without.  The bit were they say they cannot make exception due to having a ‘fairness to all’ policy…. wtf! how is that fair to those who are financially challenged?

Ok said my piece… peace out.

#48740 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi Trev

I agree it make me wonder why they are not singing on the same hymn sheet, but I guess with all the new rules that JH has brought in no wonder GP’s surgeries have to charge, it seems they have to be run like a profitable business.

As you know my wife has to use a CPAP machine, and she is under the Sleep Apnea department at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, and the Nurses there are great, she has a review every year at the hospital, and if any parts go wrong, as her mask did recently, all she needs to do is contact the department, and they send out whatever is required.

Now how can they know what sort of mental health issues you have over the phone!, how can they know anything is wrong by having a conversation on the phone, instead of actually seeing you face to face, I guess it’s money based again!

I think the health service in general is getting worse, and has been for years, but how to reverse the decline will be extreamly  difficult.

lightbodyae55

#48744 Reply
    Trev

Hi lightbodyae55,

How is the missus since last weeks episode, hope she’s comfortable?

I’ve since done a bit of googling and found that there are guidelines of what gp’s should charge which is £27 for a standard short letter of a few lines with no medical examination involved It goes on to say the fee goes to paying office staff, or the secretary that has to print the letter and to phone you that the letter is ready!

For my purposes i could have bypassed this and just made a DPA access request, which would cost me £10 and they have to print off my entire health records.. this would have shown my sleep apnea, job done!

It gets stranger, in that if you request a letter from your gp, they have a right to refuse, but they are warned how this can affect patient:gp relationship. Yet the DPA access request must be fulfilled by law.

What a load of nonsense it all is.

#48763 Reply
    Brydo

I think you still need a doctor to say you are of sound mind to make the will legal, or maybe some other professional person like a lawyer, not quite sure so don’t want to give info that’s not correct.

#48775 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

No, you don’t need a doctor to sign a will. Any adult can witness a will. Best to have one prepared by a solicitor though as there are so many legal loopholes now, especially if you own a property and / or have a few quid and you want to make sure that your kids inherit it rather than it going on care costs or to the tax man. I hope to be around for many decades yet, but have got Lasting Powers of Attorney in place for my wife and I and the house is in trust for the kids. I’ve worked damned hard for what I’ve got and nobody is getting it other than my kids!

#48777 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Now you know why no GP with anything about them earns less than £100k pa. They are run as businesses and, whilst you can’t blame them for doing so, they know how to milk the system. It doesn’t help that the great British public treat anything to do with the NHS with complete reverence and as a result no political party will ever properly tackle it even though it is completely out of control and needs to be massively overhauled.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Medical letter request madness
Your information: