Means tested benefits

• Creator
    Topic
  • #186175 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

My father in law won’t take any help as he says he doesn’t want any one snooping into his business. I told him there are likely to be benefits he is entitled to if he would apply, but he’s adamant he won’t apply.

So what I would like to know is which benefits are means tested and how much can you have in savings before being disqualified?

He has an old age pension and £100 per month from a private pension but I don’t know if he has any savings.

Thanks in advance.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #186197 Reply
    joss

Hey Brydo

Turn2us

Means-tested benefits
    Some benefits are means-tested. In other words, the amount of income and capital you have can affect your eligibility. Means-tested benefits are available to people who can demonstrate that their income and capital are below a certain level. The means-tested benefits are:

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Income Support
    Pension Credit
    Tax Credits (Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit)
    Housing Benefit
    Council Tax Support
    Social Fund (Sure Start Maternity Grant, Funeral Payment, Cold Weather Payment)
    Universal Credit.
    Your means (income, savings and other capital) will be looked at to see if they are low enough for you to qualify.

If your means are greater than your needs (the amount the government estimates you need to live on), the benefit is reduced or may not be paid at all, so the amount you are entitled to can vary from one person to another.

You can get these benefits even if you have not paid enough national insurance contributions.

You can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator to work out your entitlement to means-tested benefits.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/An-older-person

https://www.theukrules.co.uk/rules/employment/benefits/entitlement/means-tested-benefits.html

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#186202 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

With income related benifits I believe, if you have more than £16,000 in savings, you are not entitled to income related benefits. If you have between £6,000-£16,000 in savings you receive a monthly income that is reduced by £4.35 for each £250 saved up.

#186207 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

Send him here Benefits Calculator – entitledto – independent | accurate | reliable he can enter all his details without telling anyone. It will give him an accurate idea of how much if anything he would get. He can then make up his mind if he thinks it is worth giving all his personal financial details to “The Man”.

Current vehicle: 2018 SEAT LEON ST 1.8 TSI FR Technology DSG
    On order: MINI 5-Door Hatch 2.0 Cooper S Classic Steptronic

#186208 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Thanks guy’s great info👍

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Means tested benefits
Your information: