Mazda CX 5/Ateca/Tiguan

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144646 Reply
    Neu

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have experience with the CX5? It seems like a great car overall in the sport trim but some reviews say the NA engine is a bit weak, it’s on my short list along with the Aetca FR sport and Tiguan Elegance, theyre all seem similar enough in terms of tech, power and price.

Curious if anyone has any experience or advice with any of them? (seen the recent ateca in excellence trim)

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #144651 Reply
    file28
    Participant

Previously had a mazda 6 tourer 67 plate with the 2.0 petrol engine and found it under powered (no turbo) good mpg though regularly managed high 40’s

The infotainment system wasn’t too bad and found it very easy to navigate as it has a controller in the center console similar to the BMW idrive

Currently driving an Ateca 2.0 petrol (turbo) dsg plenty of get up and go

FR black edition which is basically FR Sport with black bits added

Ateca great driving car and can easily put a smile on my face driving around North Wales

No experience of the VW sorry

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#144652 Reply
    Marcus

I currently have a petrol 160bhp cx5, yes it’s feels a tad underpowered at times, but bearing in mind its a heavy car. Overtaking can be a tad difficult which normally means dropping a couple of gears.

The interior quality is outstanding and the car hasn’t missed a beat in the 3 years I’ve been driving it. I am due to change the car in October and maybe just maybe be tempted to get another Cx5, if I can get a few more horses under the bonnet.

Hope this helps.

#144667 Reply
    Lets Get organised

I am very happy with my Tiguan SEL it’s got everything thing you need very comfortable with massage feature for long drives the standard sound system is excellent the headlights at night are awsome and I’m due to replace it but have decided to keep it for another two years as there is nothing on the scheme that a like at the moment but there is a new Alfa Tonale or the new BMW X1 comming out soon so I will wait and see as the new tiguan is not enough of a change to be driving the same car for six years

I would recommend the tiguan my partner thought it was a big car but she quickly got used to it and parking it is easy as good visibility all round and the tyres stick out so its easy to feel curbs without scrapping the wheels not a scratch on the after nearly two and half years

#144680 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I only have experience of the Tiguan which, in Elegance trim, has pretty much everything as standard except leather & electric seats. Many people on this forum rave about the Ateca, but on paper it didn’t stack up for me. When all is said and done, Seat is a budget brand and it seems daft that you have to add a lot of options to get it to the same spec as the full fat Tiguan Elegance (in fact, you can’t even add them in most cases). I’ve never driven a CX-5 but reviews point towards poor ride quality and disappointing engines. That said, quarter 2 added the top spec GT Sport which is very well equipped and has a 2.0 engine versus the 1.5 in the petrol Tiguan. In fairness, I think that all 3 are probably very good cars and, as always, it often boils down to personal preferences. I would check out all three as one or two of them will drop off your list when you do!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Glos Guy.
    #144687 Reply
    Markymate

Take a look at the Skoda Karoq, it’s a superb vehicle, especially in the SE L trim.

file:///S:/Temp/MicrosoftEdgeDownloads/c0fb7b4f-d307-4919-8b80-1f995fbb5bc6/skoda-karoq-brochure.pdf

#144688 Reply
    Markymate
    Participant

Take a look at the Skoda Karoq, it’s a superb vehicle, especially in the SE L trim. file:///S:/Temp/MicrosoftEdgeDownloads/c0fb7b4f-d307-4919-8b80-1f995fbb5bc6/skoda-karoq-brochure.pdf

Ignore that link it doesn’t work, this one hopefully does

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/c63f4efb-a760-4a48-931f-baad88d42aa6

#144724 Reply
    Littledave

We ran a CX5 manual. Great car, beautifully finished, but it was underpowered, especially on long hills meaning a lot of gear changing. Loved it overall and would have another one  in auto. Shame the diesel is not on the scheme. That was a different kettle of fish.

#144749 Reply
    Neu

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful, hopefully I can narrow it down somewhat more with actual test drives soon!

#144767 Reply
    Modcon

Hi I’ve got a 2.0 litre petrol auto Mazda Cx5 sport nav+ absolutely fantastic car and I think it’s very quick and powerful, also has sports button which increases acceleration and does shoot off, overall car is very luxury and not looking forward to changing it as I don’t think anything anywhere near as good. Also the head up display is fantastic.

#144804 Reply
    Marcus

Modcom, I am in the same boat and due to reorder in July. Not a great amount of choice at the moment, maybe the Tiguan R line if the AP drops in Q3. Mind you the new Octavia in SEL First edition looks a good option.

#144824 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Modcom, I am in the same boat and due to reorder in July. Not a great amount of choice at the moment, maybe the Tiguan R line if the AP drops in Q3. Mind you the new Octavia in SEL First edition looks a good option.

Hi Marcus. I don’t know how familiar you are with the spec on the facelifted Tiguan, but the best model to get is now the Elegance. Pre-facelift, the best model to get was the R-Line Tech, which had everything that the SEL (Elegance equivalent) had, plus the sporty styling. Now, if you go for the R-Line you get the sporty styling (although less so than before IMO as the alloys aren’t as nice) but lose some significant kit that comes as standard on the Elegance, namely Panoramic Sunroof, iQ Adaptive Matrix Headlights (with several additional functions), Electric Tailgate, Keyless Access (locking & unlocking) and Rear View Camera. It would cost over £2k to spec the R-Line up to the same level of kit as the Elegance. All you get on the R-Line is 1” bigger alloys and touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel that have had bad reviews as they are easy to activate unintentionally when driving. If you don’t like the grey plastic sills on the Elegance (I don’t) then the best colour to get is Dolphin Grey, as they then become invisible!

#144870 Reply
    Marcus

Modcon, that’s a fantastic shout about the Elegance. I hadn’t even looked at it, got drawn in by the R line. Your right amazing amount of kit on the car and pretty low AP. Let’s hope it stays that way for Q3.

Thanks for opening my eyes, maybe I can stop searching!

Regards

Marcus

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Mazda CX 5/Ateca/Tiguan
Your information: