Looped Supply?

• Creator
    Topic
    Djw38uk
    Participant

Sorry if this is obvious. We are moving soon and this is the electric meter at the new home (pics from survey).

Is this a looped supply as I suspect please?

Looks like I may have my work cut out sorting a charger…..

Thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Djw38uk.
    Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Djw38uk
      Participant

Looks like I may have my answer on another forum but still interested in any experienced answers please.

Elliot
        Participant

@kezo this is one for you.

Participant

Only one cable on main fuse. You could be the last on the loop.
            if I’m not mistaken.

I like sitting outside RAF bases all day pretending to be a photogramapher

kezo
            Participant

No! unless you are the last on the loop, which you can find out by asking your ajoining neigbour if they have two “black” cables coming into the service head.

If the property was built post 90’s its unlikely to be looped.

Must admit, I was taken back by an upside down service head 😂

Djw38uk
              Participant

It’s an older cottage and end of terrace (around 100 years old) hence my concern…….

kezo
                Participant

It’s an older cottage and end of terrace (around 100 years old) hence my concern…….

If you are looped of your neighbour its no great concern, as the DNO will cap the loop at your neighbours and and run a new supply from the street into your property, digging 1 or 2 holes in your drive/garden.

To put your mind at rest, you can ask your neigbour to check whether he has 1 or 2 service cables in the service head.

https://www.nationalgrid.co.uk/downloads-view-reciteme/430885

Djw38uk
                  Participant

Perfect, thank you

kezo
                    Participant

Perfect, thank you

👍

Let us know how you go on.

Ioniq
                      Participant

Your DNO will take care of unlooping. However, the process does take longer. It took just over 7 months to get the job done, and with SPEN, I had 3 phase installed as a bonus.

Brydo
                        Participant

Ionic everyone in this situation should ask for a three phase instal. We are heading for all-electric homes, BEVs, air source heat pumps all electric cookers so three phase supply will make this much easier, it also allows 22kwh charging which is ideal 👍

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
                          Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Ioniq
                          Participant

@Brydo,

I didnt even ask for it, but about time the UK should be upgraded. Domestic Polyphase is quite rare.

Its only in the past few months that energy suppliers are installing 3 phase meters. I,m on the waiting list for one from Octopussy, they dont have a lot of qualified engineers to carry out the installation.

Djw38uk
                            Participant

Thanks all.
                              Have contacted DNO and asked the question.

kezo
                              Participant

@Brydo, I didnt even ask for it, but about time the UK should be upgraded. Domestic Polyphase is quite rare. Its only in the past few months that energy suppliers are installing 3 phase meters. I,m on the waiting list for one from Octopussy, they dont have a lot of qualified engineers to carry out the installation.

“Poly” simply means more than one

“Polyphase” refers to two or more than two voltages (phase/s) having same magnitude and frequency but displaced from each other by an equal electrical angle.

“Polygamy” more than one wife.

Low voltage connctions available in the UK with more than one phase are

Two phase 230V (phase to neutral)

Split phase 230V (phase to neutral)

Three phase 400V (phase to phase)

Split phase 460V (phase to phase)

Single phase 230V (phase to neutral) is different to two phase and split phase 230V (phase to neutral).

Three phase supplies have their phases 120 degrees out of phase with each other (balanced) and are supplied with an optional neutral conductor, forming a Three Phase and Neutral (TPN) supply. TPN is common in low voltage supply’s, so each phase can be used for single phase circuits, that require a neutral.

To hazard a guess, you were upgraded to a TPN supply to be more precise?

Brydo
                                Participant

Kezo everydays a school day👍

Brydo
                                  Participant

As an aside i got an estimated quote of £1800 to install a three-phase supply to my home.

Djw38uk
                                    Participant

Just had a call from National Grid who have been excellent.
                                      It is a single feed with no issues regards installing a charger.
                                      Thanks again everyone.

kezo
                                      Participant

Just had a call from National Grid who have been excellent. It is a single feed with no issues regards installing a charger. Thanks again everyone.

Great news!

As an aside i got an estimated quote of £1800 to install a three-phase supply to my home.

If having a HP/EV charger/Inerter and you load exceeds that supplied by your existing single phase supply, the DNO will upgrade the supply for free in most cases.

Ioniq
                                        Participant

“Poly” simply means more than one “Polyphase” refers to two or more than two voltages (phase/s) having same magnitude and frequency but displaced from each other by an equal electrical angle. “Polygamy” more than one wife. Low voltage connctions available in the UK with more than one phase are Two phase 230V (phase to neutral) Split phase 230V (phase to neutral) Three phase 400V (phase to phase) Split phase 460V (phase to phase) Single phase 230V (phase to neutral) is different to two phase and split phase 230V (phase to neutral). Three phase supplies have their phases 120 degrees out of phase with each other (balanced) and are supplied with an optional neutral conductor, forming a Three Phase and Neutral (TPN) supply. TPN is common in low voltage supply’s, so each phase can be used for single phase circuits, that require a neutral. To hazard a guess, you were upgraded to a TPN supply to be more precise?

@kezo

Yup, I called it 3-phase and you said it was polyphase, i had not heard it called by that name.

It kinda explains the different flavours of domestic supply.

kezo
                                          Participant

Yes mate its a broad term covering the abov connection types, as is multiphase

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.