Looking for new car, opinions wanted.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121194 Reply
    ShariMG
    Participant

Hi all. Did post here before a couple of years ago but for some reason it wont reset my password.

Will be rejoining the scheme after re-award in late September. Looking for a car that my 18 yr old can drive if needed as driving test now passed. I prefer an SUV type with a high driving position (previous cars on scheme were Qashqui, Sportage, C4 Picasso, Fusion) I’ve narrowed down a few if anyone has some good advice on whats best for mainly short journeys but occasional motorway driving. Having to pay back a chunk to Motability already so looking for as cheap an AP as possible. So far favourites are:

Renault Captur 1.5DCI S Bose, Seat Arona 1.0 TSI 115 Ex Lux, Seat Ateca 1.0 TSI Se Tech, Vauxhall Crossland X 1.5 Turbo Elite Nav,  MG ZS 1.5 Exclusive and Jeep Renegade 1.0 Night Eagle.

Any advice and comments are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121201 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

First things first, if one of the nominated drivers is 18 then the BHP limit of 120 will apply, which leaves you with the grand choice of the Ateca only, fortunately for you, in my humble but biased opinion, it’s the best option anyway.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#121203 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

they all look suitable for under 25’s to me,

all good but Audi Q2 is worth considering if budget allows

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Noel.
    #121208 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

The new Ford Puma 7-speed automatic will be along shortly. Not sure yet what the AP will be but it that would suit your needs I would have thought.

#121209 Reply
    72 Dudes

As it’s mainly for short journeys, I’d knock the diesels off your list straight away.

But there should be a Captur and a Crossland X with smaller petrol engines available too.

The Ateca is a size up on the others so represents good value, but the Arona is a great small SUV too.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with the MG, just look at the thread on the MG HS, that should be enough to put you off. Economy of this would be way off the others too.

The Jeep Renegade might look good fun, but basically it’s a Fiat 500X built at the Fiat factory in Italy. Known problems with their electrics.

Also with the Ateca about to be updated, I would expect that model to disappear from the Motability scheme soon, so maybe stock orders only.

In your shoes I’d be looking at a petrol Captur or the Arona, hope this helps.

#121211 Reply
    72 Dudes

@Solent60.

Puma AP will be high as only the top model is available with auto. Also only 125 or 155 bhp versions. I’m not sure of the under 25s bhp limit but both of these could be over according to Markw.

#121212 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

@solent60. Puma AP will be high as only the top model is available with auto. Also only 125 or 155 bhp versions. I’m not sure of the under 25s bhp limit but both of these could be over according to Markw.

According to Ford, only the 125 version will be available in automatic form and not, alas, the 155 version. Not only that – but the auto version will be just a standard engine and not the mild hybrid version.

Once again, automatic drivers get a bum deal 🙁

#121214 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

petrol auto under 25.

suzuki ignis if your looking for smaller but sturdy 0 ap

seat arona

juke

stonic

kamiq

chr

if you need bigger then the ateca is about the only one with a reasonable ap assuming it reappears.

#121215 Reply
    rox
    Participant

It may make a difference if you need a manual or an automatic.

#121223 Reply
    Adam

Have you looked at the GLA? Its a baby SUV but has a nice classy finish on the inside.

#121225 Reply
    Matt B

Tucson 1.6 petrol could be worth a look. It is very similar to the Sportage you’ve had previously. Mid-range spec is good value. Be aware though, the 1.6 without the turbo is noticeably slow off the mark (0-60mph timed by calendar). Good luck with your search 👍🤞

#121226 Reply
    ShariMG
    Participant

Thanks folks. I’m happy driving either manual or auto, I’ve had both and not really fussed. Forgot to add Skoda kamiq and karoq to my list. I test drove a Stonic today and didn’t really like it. Sat in a Captur this afternoon (test driving that tomorrow) wasn’t keen on the weird headrests, they looked like they would become annoying as time went on. Not interested in fords as I had a really bad experience with an Ecosport about 5 years ago(ended up handing it back and got a Sportage) Waiting to hear from Seat & Skoda dealerships to arrange test drives.  Some great tips here, will check out other threads for specific cars too, thanks again.

#121231 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

What about the New Juke, its available for £0

or

DS 3 crossback, £0

#121232 Reply
    Bellington

I have had my Ateca for 4 months now different spec but I noticed you mentioned you like high driving position of SUV’s. The driving position in my ateca is not as high as my Ssangyong Korando and it’s took me a bit of time to get to like it. So defo try a test drive of the Ateca as it’s quite a low hight SUV.

#121265 Reply
    Jaro
    Participant

Toyota C HR hybrid £495

#121274 Reply
    ShariMG
    Participant

Test drove a Captur today and actually the headrest wasn’t annoying at all. Got Ateca and Arona drives planned for the weekend.

#121301 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Jeep Renegade 1.0 120hp Night Eagle £95

#121309 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Jeep Renegade 1.0 120hp Night Eagle £95

“Night Eagle”???

lol. Those Yanks sure do love their butch/macho car names!

#121311 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

Unlike Mitsubishi, every time I see a Warrior or a Trojan I can’t help but think why did they give them names like condoms ? 😳 …. 😂

#121317 Reply
    rox
    Participant

worth checking out

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Looking for new car, opinions wanted.
Your information: