Local councils are set to be given powers allowing them to fine motorists who co

• Creator
    Topic
  • #136773 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Speaking in the House of Commons, Transport Minister Rachel Maclean confirmed the increased powers, saying that changes being made to the Traffic Management Act 2004 “will take several months to bring into force, after which those local authorities with civil parking enforcement powers can apply for a designation order for moving traffic enforcement.”

She added: “Statutory guidance is being developed for local authorities on how to use the powers, including publicising their introduction in advance, to ensure that enforcement is carried out fairly.”

The Transport Committee previously recommended such measures be taken, as police no longer have the resources to widely and effectively enforce moving traffic contraventions.

Nicholas Lyes, head of roads policy at the RAC, commented: “While it makes sense for all local authorities to have the power to enforce problematic hotspots, there is a risk that some councils might use this as a lucrative revenue raising tool.”

Lyes said the onus should be on councils to ensure road layouts are not confusing, so that unsuspecting drivers are not “snared”. He pointed out that high numbers of fines in one location may indicate something is wrong.

He added: “We also feel that in the first instance warning letters should be issued to drivers rather than a fine to reduce the chances of councils using this as a lucrative cash stream.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136796 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Oh, this won’t end well – assuming it gets through parliament.

#136806 Reply
    joss

Cash Cow for local Councils.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#136887 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I seen this a few years ago when government gave permission for high definition camera to be used by local councils to combat terrorist threats and within days I seen a local council around here saying how they would those same cameras to catch anyone stopping on double yellows and nipping into their newsagents shop for a minute to collect their fags and paper.

I distrust central government and distrust local council even more.

I hope one day Vladimir Putin invades the west and free us all from these tyrants. 😁

#136889 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Knowing how local authorities get things so wrong with motoring ‘offences’, such as at Lendal Bridge in York:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-28270571

or the John Dobson Street bus lane in Newcastle Upon Tyne:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-53810808

Then, have to refund all the motorists they ‘fined’ incorrectly, it could well be more of a financial drain on local authorities than a ‘cash cow’!

#136929 Reply
    martinod

just yet another way for the council to make money.

#136949 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

It won’t even be a person behind the camera looking it will be ai deciding, you was 1 mm in the wrong lane just like var and i saw a video think it was from the wef of camera tracking all cars and there speeds 24/7

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Local councils are set to be given powers allowing them to fine motorists who co
Your information: