Let me cost this car out for you to see the injustice!

This topic contains 56 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  mitch 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #81799 Reply

garry
    Participant

Tj quote  “As nice as it would to see Range Rovers, 5 Series BMW, Lexus etc they are going to be difficult to justify adding when such cars are beyond the reach of a good chunk of the general public.”

They would also be beyond the reach of a good chunk of disabled people on the scheme too, but this shouldn’t mean they shouldn’t be on the scheme for those that can afford them, same as some of the general public can afford them.

Because I am disabled doesn’t mean I’m not a member of the general public ? the two are not mutually exclusive.

#81802 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Garry I agree, as I’ve said before disabilities aren’t selective both rich and poor, and all in between, get ill and/or have disabilities

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#81881 Reply

T.J
    Participant

Garry, by “general public” I meant people not able to join the scheme, didn’t mean to imply that the disabled are different to your average Joe 🙂

I do see both yours and Brydo’s point of view and I’m all for there being a choice of cars covering a range of APs and have no issue with premium brand equivalents of typical cars car on the scheme with APs that are affordable to a good number of people.

Adding super luxury stuff like 60k Range Rovers with 10k+ APs completely goes against the idea of the scheme, you’d end up with a two tier system with the “poor” at one end who can’t run a car without Motability and the “rich” who’s high end cars and all the expensive costs associated are effectively subsidised by Motability.

I realise that is kind of the case with all the cars on the scheme, hence overall the leasing package is much cheaper than that available outside the scheme but there’s a big gap between helping someone into a car they need and helping someone save money on a very expensive car they want.

Suppose if the scheme was compulsory then there would be an argument for all sorts of cars adding but its not, for those that can afford to do so there is nothing stopping them going down the PCP route, the poor pick something on the scheme that works for them and those in-between can upgrade to a better equivalent by paying a reasonable AP.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  T.J.
    #81972 Reply

T.J
    Participant

Bit random but my reply from this morning seems to have gone AWOL?

#81975 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

T.J I have had a post disappear yesterday, spooky.

#81982 Reply

JS

There are no deleted ones showing,  WMCForum is aware and will check the  spam folder.

#81985 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

JS when I say disappeared I meant didn’t appear, I went to repost it and it said I had already posted it so I couldn’t repost but it wasn’t on the forum.

#81988 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

It went into spam TJ, I don’t know why perhaps too many acronyms. It’s up there^^^^

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  wmcforum.
    #81999 Reply

T.J
    Participant

JS and WMC – cheers for checking, was sure it had posted and then started to think I was going mad when it hadn’t lol.

#82005 Reply

POPS

I’ve learned something …. but will I remember it in a few days time, lol?

I’m still a pen and paper guy!

#82008 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

JS when I say disappeared I meant didn’t appear, I went to repost it and it said I had already posted it so I couldn’t repost but it wasn’t on the forum.

sorry @brydo you had reached your electric car ‘auto express’ copy and paste limit. These spam filters are very sensitive.

#82009 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Haha WMC I think you used that one before.

#82019 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I have posts disappear all the time, I just thought folks behind the strings kept yanking my rambling stuff!

Trouble is that when it does go I can never remember what I said and can’t be arsed to repost or I ust forget! Hey Ho. ?

#82028 Reply

Philjb

There are so many places on the internet where you can vent and that’s fine.

But I can see the staffs point of view, slagging off the scheme itself, not personal experiences like krap fit letting you down or the breakdown service letting you wait hours for example?

As I understand it, the site is set up to help join the scheme?

Not buy a used car and try run it yourself lottery.

#82034 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

Back on topic! Why is that AP so obviously too high? Just like that of the Zoe.

It could be the avoidance of another Daily Mail headline of.

“Dream of having an Electric Car? All the disabled have them FREE.”

But there is a danger that if this is the reason they are being withheld from us. Here is an alternative Daily Mail headline to consider.

“Disabled driving HUGE 4×4 diesels causing massive pollution”

Which would you rather Motability?

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#82039 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

All the new Euro 6.2 Diesel cars are way less polluting than the majority of petrol cars, not that the daily fail would point this out!

#82047 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

Tomas, you’ve made your contempt for Motability obvious. Have you stopped to wonder why so many disabled people use the scheme. Many of us have disabilities that would make private insurance far too expensive. Others are unable to work and do not have the credit history to get a private lease agreement. Some of us who are unable to work could still buy second hand cars, but the anxiety and expense attached to running and maintaining that vehicle makes it a poor choice. Most of us enjoy the stress relief of not having to worry about breakdowns and the cost of repairs, tyres etc. We put fuel in, we keep it neat and tidy and we have no further worries. The scheme has it’s problems, a lot of which are currently caused by WLTP regulation changes and the hate campaign that has been successfully waged against diesel engines. The high cost of EV’s and their lack of immediate availability is another factor …. However this does not mean that the overwhelming majority of disabled people aren’t well served by the Motability scheme. You’re welcome to post your views on this forum as long as you’re prepared to do so in a respectful manner. This is something we require of every poster and it is lacking in most of your posts. The purpose of this forum is to provide information and support for Motability clients and their carers. Constructive criticism is fine and we all know that Motability needs it on a number of issues, but this is not a forum for anti Motability agendas.

Here here well said

#82048 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

To some who attack or disagree with the mods on here we all may step over the mark sometimes but the mod pop is right in saying this forum is for help with motability cars and not trying to sell into things they will cost disabled more as i learnt the expensive way and will always now use motability while i can still drive.

#82061 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

But you do not get it this forum is called which motability car and many here are only interested in a piece of mind deal where there’s no credit checks and no worries about losing money at the end of the 3 years and by the way if your mileage is low you can now keep your car i think its for another two years im not sure if you monthly payments go down or not someone might know on here.

#82064 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

Regarding cars for free i feel embarrassed when i get a new car on motability i no i will be told i should not but i have heard snide remarks said like i will have to have a limp to get a free car its so shocking and this was said about a friend of mine that has polio all his life and is now 65 and he had a bad life from a child in calipers.

#82066 Reply

Mike

Daveblue,

During a lease extension, the payments only go down for WPMS customers, to the same level that DLA/PIP/AFIP customers pay (else the war pensioners would end up paying more than the other customers).

#82068 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

HI daveblue

I don’t think the monthly payments go down if you extend the lease.

It’s something I’ve thought about and asked about in the past and my thinking was as its an older car the monthly layout should be reduced simply because the value of the car has diminished.

However it been pointed out to me with the car being older it would more than likely require more servicing and more in-depth servicing with the things like expensive labour intensive timing chain changing or brake lines need renewing as these thing need to be done in most cars when mileages hit 70,000 more or less and more things could go wrong with the car outside of any manufactures warranty. Fair comment.

Moving on…

I stand up and say I love Motability even though it could do with a few things sorting out IMO, but that’s only from my point of view and my disability and even without them fixing my gripes I will still be renewing in 30 months time.

Pointing out better private deals for the disabled is fine and no problems with that but its when someone drones on about it and try to make out were all dumb dicks for being with Motability the heartaches begins.

#82076 Reply

mitch
    Participant

once i have drawn up my short list of contenders for my next vehicle i always search for other options outside of motability but so far other than buying a second hand vehicle until this time i havent found a cheaper alternative.

what puts me off the 2nd hand route is a total lack of mechanical knowledge or expertise i would be more comfortable if i could at least problem solve in an emergancy or maybe self service but i cant, also by the time you add in rescue services etc and servicing and insurance,tyres etc the saving isnt huge unless you go for something over 5 years old.

private leases esp with servicing etc included are usually more expensive by some way. although i did find one this week for a jeep renegade one of my short list although only the longitude version it was £249 down and £249 a month for a 4 year lease with 8k miles. that works out about £40 a month less than my wpms. but youve got to insure it etc. so £40 aint going to hack it. and at the end of the lease they are going to be a lot fussier than motability about scuffs and dings and they are not going to give me a gcb chq.

it may be my choice of cars but i cant find a cheaper alternative to motability for any of my shortlist which are:

bmw i3 atellier ap £897.

jeep rengade 1.6 ltd auto ap £593.

jeep rengade 2.0 4wd trailhawk ap £893.

mini countryman cooper s exclusive auto £74.

mazda cx3 2.0 sport nav+ 4wd ap £397.

mazda 6 2.0 skyactive g sel nav+ ap £97. not sure if i can get in and out of this so need to see it in the flesh yet.

#82094 Reply

Tomas (Tomas)

Mitch, the i3 is a great car to drive.

#82131 Reply

Mike
    Participant

Mitch,

Of the two Jeep Renergades, the Trailhawk is definitely the one to go for.

Two quarters ago, this was around £1600 AP, but dropped down to £893 when the facelift models became available last quarter.

If you enjoy off-roading or live in the sticks it is a great car and decently equipped.

Mike

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
Reply To: Let me cost this car out for you to see the injustice!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: