Leather seats

This topic contains 31 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  callmejohn 6 days, 1 hour ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #74809 Reply

Moreton5

Would you think leather seats are better than the standard cloth material seats?

I have a tiguan ordered for end of may delivery with normal seats.

The dealership says the car is built waiting in a lockup.  Is it still possible to upgrade to leather seats and if so what would be the price?

Any advice would be great

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #74810 Reply

Noel
    Participant

If it’s already built no chance of them changing to leather, you’d have to cancel and reorder if you really wanted them.

I personally don’t like them, too hot in summer and too cold in winter. prefer our heated cloth seats.

#74811 Reply

Noel
    Participant

Just to add, would have to be added and paid as an option at about £1400 on top of the AP

#74812 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

My current car has leather seats and have to say there’s advantages and disadvantages.

I’ve only had this car (KIA Carens) since the end of October last so one Winter in use and I found the first downside with the seats being very cold however this is off-set with mine because the front seats are heated.

Can’t say yet what the hot weather will be like, I just hope the leather is not to hot and sticky.

One great advantage I’ve found with relatives getting in and out on cold wet Winter days with their coats wringing wet is the seats are east to wipe down therefore keeping moisture out of the car. I also accidentality left a window open on the car one night and just happen to be a night when there was a massive downpour but lucky for me the downpour set the alarm off and when I checked why it was going off noticed the open window.

Again a few minutes with a dry rag and all was good again with no steamed up windows the next day.

In future I don’t think I would pay extra for leather seats but if it happens to be in the trim level I choose all’s well same goes for the heated seats unless there leather and for me the heated steering wheel has been more of an unsurprising bonus than the heated leather seats.

Some say leather is a luxury but I say its a luxury I can do without and wouldn’t miss it but it might become a must have luxury in your mind because end of the day it’s a personal thing.

#74826 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I’ve had the leather in my Alhambra for 2 years now and although the front seats are heated they’re bloody freezing until they warm up and the rears are just plain freezing.

In summer you just sweat like a pig and have to be careful getting in wearing shorts.

I have has normal cloth/velour seats lots of times before and never once thought about a seat being too hot or cold, it just never enters your mind until you get leather.

#74834 Reply

Philjb

It comes down to personal taste for the reasons you mention, but also some find it easier to get in and out with leather seats as it is more slippery.

Ive had both but having a full length sunroof now I’m glad I went for comfort  cloth seats, still heated and give massage. 😎👍🏻

#74847 Reply

Moreton5

I appreciate the replies. Ill definitely be keeping standard seats then. Dont like the sound of paying an additional 1400 on top of the 3249 I am to pay! Ordered in November, to now see the AP is 2899 😭

#74848 Reply

Persuader

Incidentally, nowadays the leather isn’t even leather but a substitute material. Vegan approved!

#74849 Reply

Mike11
    Participant

I don’t like smell of leatheralways had normal trim

#74850 Reply

Mike11
    Participant

I don’t like ladies in leather either

#74852 Reply

Psuader

I love leather- my body is covered in it!

#74859 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I did notice on the spec sheet that it mentioned in the smallest of small print that the seats were “Leather Substitute” in other words “Not Leather” yet they still want a hefty premium for what is basically “Pleather”, like a 60’s sofa.

Wish they would call in Naugahyde, at least you would know you were getting a premium pleather!

#74862 Reply

Persuader

It’s a cheeky move charging for fake leather though surprisingly Mercedes don’t. It’s standard.

#74866 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Only problem with the merc is they charge you for everything else on the car, would sir like a steering wheel? you will need this pack which includes the wheel sir, only 2 grand on top, oh, you want doors? 4 grand, tyres? well you get the point.

#74881 Reply

Persuader

Haha exactly! Heated seats used to be a couple of hundred pounds  Now you have to get an executive pack of some sort at £1500. Ludicrous!

#74882 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

It’s a cheeky move charging for fake leather though surprisingly Mercedes don’t. It’s standard.

I know on the specification sheet for my KIA Carens it says the seats in trim 3 and 4 are leather so no doubts in the wording but then if you look at the small print in the brochures it says “Some parts of the leather upholstery contains faux leather” so could be a tiny bit under the seat that’s true leather for all I know.

It’s strange how consumer laws for cars in the UK don’t seem to have any come back on the manufacturer now matter what they say. If you bought a leather sofa and it turned out to be faux leather you would be in your rights for a refund but with cars its tough luck because they simply say that a part of it is leather but were not saying what that part is.

All I can say is “thank God it’s not my car” as I may have felt cheated. 😀

#74884 Reply

Persuader

Nice one Chris. 👍

#74886 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Where they double stitch the seams together they put a piece of material between them for strength, apparently those pieces are the genuine leather, every bit of seat you see is Pleather(fake), I have just been to an upholster with my mate who’s having his mgb seats recovered and the guy doing it worked for VW until last year when he started out on his own.

I watched him do the double seam thing and it’s very clever way to be able to call it Leather whilst using about £2’s worth of actual material.

#74898 Reply

Winston
    Participant

I’ve not get leather seats in my car, I’ve had them before though

but more importantly I do remember coming home drunk from nights out many a time  and falling asleep on my leather sofa  only to wake up a few hours later only to find that my clothes were usually laying on the floor and I’d have to literally peel myself off my leather sofa 😭😭😂😂 not a good experience lol

Now obv I’d hope that no one falls asleep drunk in their car  that goes without saying 😁

But the same principle applies to when getting off the seat after a long drive

They look good, and it was always a thing to boast about to friends,”ooh check my leather seats” lol

But I’d save your pennies and stick to the cloth ones 😉

I’ve currently got alcantara seats and found them to be the best I’ve had

Easy to keep clean, easy to remove dog stray dog hair from, nice n warm and still look a bit premium

#74899 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The old “sweaty crack syndrome” is unavoidable on any kind of leather/pleather seats as by their nature there is no where for the heat to ventilate.

I do a couple of 200+ mile trips every week and always end up with a sweaty back/crack no matter how bloody cold it is in the car, absolutely hate it but I had no choice as it was the only way to get the electric aspect of the seats which I need.

I will not have it again, all my future cars will have to have ass friendly cloth/velour/alcantara seating or I’ll just buy 2nd hand.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  vinalspin.
    #74901 Reply

Winston
    Participant

Haha that made me laugh 😂 😂

#74902 Reply

Winston
    Participant

Never see this type of invaluable info being mentioned in any car review!

#74903 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Vinalspin i would be seeing the doctor for The old “sweaty crack syndrome” lol or maybe turn the heated seats down. I’ve had leather seats for many years and never had that, or any other problems, with leather seats, maybe your just naturally HOT lol.

#74904 Reply

Rico

On Kias if you you read it properly, it states some of the other interior (so arm rest, door cards dash ect) but the seats are 100% real leather

#74905 Reply

Macca

What about those motors that have leather that is both heated and cooled, …. best of both worlds surely?

#74907 Reply

Mike11
    Participant

I have just saw carol kirkwood doing the weather forecast on bbc breakfast in a leather skirt what an amazing start to the day

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Leather seats

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: