Kona EV with push / pull handcontrols

• Creator
    Topic
  • #161726 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

Looking at the Kona EV as my wife’s next Motability car. As a full-time wheelchair user she drives using standard push / pull handcontrols. Interested if anyone else has this car with these controls fitted and what their experiences have been. Thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #161728 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I haven’t got hand controls, but they should fit without any issues.

Another advantage to your wife with the Kona, is once moving, much of the breaking can be carried out either automatically by turning on the Auto Recuperation function, and also by using the paddles on the steering wheel.  Also, the cruise control, once set (You have to be moving to engage) will automatically start and stop the car, and can be restarted on the steering wheel.  Basically, she’ll need modifications to initially pull away, but after that, she should be able to let the car drive itself using cruise and the flappy paddles.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#161729 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, do you use the i-pedal system? Ie one pedal driving? Like the Kona due to the range as she does a semi-regular trip of just over 220miles (M6/M42/M40/M25/M23) but also uses it commute to work in central Manchester from Warrington.

#161730 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I leave the car in Auto Recuprtation, basically, it’s in coast mode, and the radar picks up vehicles in front and automatically breaks as they slow down, if there’s no vehicle in front, you use the flappy paddles as if you’re changing down the gearbox.

I’ve done just over 10k in 4 months, averaging 4.9 miles/kW (313 mile range)  If you can charge at home, I think at sensible speeds (65mph) she’d be fine doing that commute all year round and only need to charge over night at home.

Previous Motability Cars

#161731 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Great thread jacippit and great info intranicity

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#161734 Reply
    Jacippit

From what I have gleaned so far an EV with one pedal as an optional driving style would definitely suit driving with handcontrols. Put in i-pedal mode, release the accelerator, car slows to a stop using regen (can feather it using accelerator)  and then auto hold keeps it still till accelerator used. Having the auto cruise control is also a big bonus for the commute on the motorway as the speed goes up and down like a yo-yo. Also like that you can pre-heat and defrost the car in advance of a trip, and if connected to the charger you are not using the battery. Thats a neat trick and a big time saver in the winter.

#161736 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Yes, the Kona has lots of options, it’s just about finding a driving style that suits you.  In level 3 regeneration, the car does slow down really quickly and for me is great in town, but you still need to use the left paddle to fully stop.  I find on the open road, that having it off (Level 0) is a much easier driving mode.  I think for your wife, she’d end up using the ACC all the time, it works really well, just clean the sensor every now and then!

It’s not only the ability to defrost the car that is useful, being able to cool the car remotely is also a huge bonus, and I’m pretty confident, not only will she like the heated steering wheel and seats, but in the summer, the cooled seats is also a massive bonus.  Transfer from a wheelchair shouldn’t hopefully be too bad either if she can manage the height, the bolsters on the seat aren’t massive and the leather makes sliding easy.

Previous Motability Cars

#161738 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

Thinking of getting the Ultimate spec simply for the electric seat, my wife has Spina Bifida so is very short. Our hope is that due to what appears to be a very large range of adjustment on the electric seat she can fully lower it for getting in / out (also maximising space for wheelchair load) and then fully raise it to get a suitable driving position without needing her bolster cushion. Currently uses a C4 Cactus diesal and it would be great to have a level or levelish transfer from the wheelchair.

#161750 Reply
    Lee Bengough

I can’t speak for the car but on the last 2 cars as well as Jeff Gosling Hand Controls I’ve had the fold away accelerator pedal fitted as well. It’s a god send I can stretch my leg and it’s easy to fold down for a bale bodied person to drive it.

Thought I’d mention it.

#161751 Reply
    bfoandc

I don’t have personal experience of transferring to a wheelchair from our Kona EV but I can confirm that the electrical seat adjustment (on the passenger side) is amazing – but it seems just as good on the drivers side. It does make it easy to have one position for getting in or out and another for travelling. Oh, and in our experience in our conditions, the range indicator is extremely accurate. We don’t look and say we have 330 miles of range so that will be about 280. It may take a while to get fully up to speed on all it offers – it has with us!

#161754 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I can’t answer any questions about the Kona other than to state the obvious of making sure that the boot is big enough for the wheelchair, as a few people on here have said that they would have loved one but for the fact that the boot was too small.

However, re hand controls, I would personally avoid Jeff Gosling ones. We had them on one car and the rod that links to the pedals sits underneath the steering column and I was forever whacking my knees on it when getting in and out of the car. Thanks to this forum another contributor recommended a different make (which, rather unhelpfully I can’t remember the name of, but if you search you will find the thread from early 2018) and the rods are fitted inside the steering column. They were ten times better and still free of charge. We had a different make again of steering ball and that was far better than the Jeff Gosling one as well (again, in the same thread).

#161757 Reply
    Jacippit

With the regards to handcontrols only ever use Techmobility or  Alfred Bekker as their response and feel is so much better than others and they are fitted with the steering column shroud.

Have to say I have driven vehicles with Jeff Gosling and I hated it. Having talked to fitters on this topic its all to do with the fittings on the pedals, Ideally, on the pedals, you want a rose joint connection not cables. Having a cable connection results in a big lag before anything happens. The further down the pedal you fit the lighter the controls but the more than hinder access or foot access to pedals, Jeff Gosling fit low with cables.

Trust me not all hand controls are the same and its worth trying them if you can before being stuck with them for 3 years.

#161759 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Have we ever had a thread covering adaptations and the quality of the various manufacturers?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#161764 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Have we ever had a thread covering adaptations and the quality of the various manufacturers?

Yes, before you joined. I’ll try to find it and post a link.

#161765 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant
    #161768 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Based on Baljit’s feedback we went for the Cowal Hand Controls (hidden within the steering column, so no fouling of knees when getting in and out) and the mushroom shaped Brig Ayd Quick Release Steering control. Both were far better than the inferior Jeff Gosling controls, yet we’re still free of charge.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Reply #161754 in Kona EV with push / pull handcontrols
Your information: