Kitchen floors – vinyl or tiles? Advice please…

• Creator
    Topic
  • #183733 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Has anyone used “Luxury Vinyl Tiles” aka LVTs on their kitchen floor? If so, are they any good? I have cork tiles at present. Chosen for comfort, which is brilliant, but they’ve worn out in just three years.

Proper ceramic tiles will look great but be a bit hard underfoot (kitchen is used intensively by me on my gammy legs). I’m considering the PVT thing but every set of reviews I read trashes them heavily. Each review-set has at least 70% “bad” or one-star entries. Criticisms include warping and peeling up; inability to clean with steamer or proper wet mop;  inability to replace bits if damaged; “lifetime guarantees” which are simply not honoured by the makers.

If you’ve found them to be fit for purpose, then a recommended brand would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, folks.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #183735 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

maybe a bit pricey but i can thoroughly reccomend karndean flooring.

when i had my own place i did the whole bungalow with it 10 years later it looked as good as new.https://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKeui5279wIVDO7tCh3f3gpmEAAYAyAAEgKiOfD_BwE

#183739 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

We have used both Rhino matt and Mflor, which are alternatives to karndean and as @mitch says are fully recomended and last for years.  We had them put down as a full sheet (like a carpet) rather than tiles though. One thing worth mentioning is LV’s aren’t cheap and need to be laid properly preferably by trained fitter.

Another option that would give your legs a bit of cushioning would be waterproof carpet. Though you would have to hoover it rather than mop it 🙂

#183742 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, @mitch and @kezo Your thoughts much appreciated. Interesting to hear a favourable note re Karndean. Most of the online reviews are less than complimentary. Damage from spilt water is one of the top minus points and, well, I am a very messy cook! Shall take another look at Karndean.

Waterproof carpet? Had no idea such a thing existed. As above, my skill at being messy in the kitchen would probably trash it within a few days.

Am currently searching for a proper, qualified fitter because whatever we choose will have to be laid by someone else. I simply cannot get down on hands-and-knees without: a) lots of pain and b) inability to get up again!

#183746 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

You do need a registered qualified fitter for any LV’s rather than a run of the mill domestic carpet fitter that will only glue around the edges as you would fit standard vinyl, hence cause issues you have mentioned after fitment.

I got mine as large offcuts when I working as a spark on new 4star ibis hotels and the guys fitted it for me. In my opinion hotels would use it if it was crap and a safety hazard.

You could also ask for advise on here:

https://theflooringforum.com/

#183747 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the fitter with karndean is most important it has to be done properley, ive tried to find some old photos of my old house but no luck yet. admittedley i lived alone so not exactly high traffic but all i did was use karndeans cleaning products and a hoover. once ever 3 months mop the cleaner after hoovering and then apply the sealer all with a standard mop.

its important the floor is dry and flat, even though mine was a new build we had to use a dehumidifier to get it dry enough and a levelling compound in places as the variations exceeded the minimums.

but even in the bathroom and ensuite not a single tile moved or degraded even after a flooding when i forgot i was running a bath.

i put felt pads on the bottom of any furniture which helped prevent any marking or scratching.

the installer was excellant even did a border effect around each room. they used a contact adhesive and went over the whole thing with something that looked like a cricket pitch roller i am convinced thats what it was in a former life it looked like solid concrete with a felt cover. as i say it worked as nothing moved.

#183752 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

found these on the rightmove site from when i sold it.  there not great pics but it does show how good it looks having been down 10 years.

#183754 Reply
    ajn

Very messy cook, yeah guilty of that too, however keep it up Tharg or atleast try..

I go for the tiles however if they’re no go for you god knows, lots of new stuff available these days I guess..

#183757 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Nice one, @mitch I see you went for a dark colour in the kitchen. Looks good. Will investigate. Found a site for Amtico which seems to let you upload a snap of your kitchen and then overlay different colours/patterns. Well useful, IF I can make it work.

#183759 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Sorry, mitch, missed your post with install details posted before the snaps. That advice is very, very helpful. Cheers 🙂

#183760 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Again, @kezo sorry, missed your post with the flooring forum. Really useful – just what I was looking for, Again, thanks 🙂

#183768 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

For our kitchen and bathroom three years ago, we priced up Amtico, Karndean and real ceramic tiles. We went for real tiles – as I recall they were not much more expensive.

#183774 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the kitchen came with black worktops so it worked well the square tiles had a silver fleck and they put a 5mm silver strip between the tiles looked like posh grout lol

#183777 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup, @ajn Mr Messy from Messytown is my style of cooking. Worst crime is running water intoi sink and then forgetting it. Then become, Mr Wet from Soggyville!

@Wigwam
    Thanks for that. Have done some pricing here too. Strangely, a decent ceramic tile can be cheaper than the vinyl ones. Only factor pushing me in direction of vinyl is that it is softer underfoot. Drawback is that they all seem to say do not use steam cleaner. I use one of these on laminate and tile floors elsewhere in house and it is really good and quick!

#183792 Reply
    Brydo

Tharg is your floor concrete or timber? I have a timber floor and the level is all over the place. Using vinyl tiles on an uneven floor is a no no. I eventually put laminate down with a really decent underlay and the wife has no problem with comfort etc.

The floor can be levelled if you are set on vinyl but it’s just another job that adds to cost.

Do you have areas where the sun beats onto the floor or are you considering extending the floor covering into your conservatory as you need to be careful which flooring you chose as many are not suitable for really hot areas.

My daughter has a very expensive vinyl, can’t remember the name, and at the patio doors the colour has completely gone from the panels. Thankfully it has a lifetime guarantee and they have come out and replaced the discoloured panels.

Ceramic tiles are very cold and if you are prone to the odd tumble they are a bit hard to land on.

With regards to steam cleaning if you are only cleaning every week or so and don’t linger in the same place there shouldn’t be too much of a problem no matter which flooring you choose.

#183794 Reply
    Brydo

#183795 Reply
    Brydo

I also put a waterproof rug at the sink so as it’s softer in the area used most.

#183828 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cheers, @Brydo My floor is concrete and it seems pretty flat. Will get it checked. Think it may have been screeded when we re-did the kitchen some four years ago. Not worried if it has to be re-done. Cookie’s domain gets used a very great deal and it really has to be right.

The colour factor worries me too. It is one of the factors which knackered the cork tiles. Those in direct sunlight have been bleached white. Intend to check colour fastness of whatever we choose if we go with vinyl.

Wish I’d tried the waterproof rug idea. Might have stopped the rapid wear at sink and prep worktop. Trouble is I’d have been tripping over the damn thing all the time!

#184406 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Am still a bit undecided. The tile forum, above, gives incorrect installation as the main reason for vinyl going wrong. So I’m going to hunt down a proper tile fitter and find out what he/she thinks.

#184423 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I believe Karndean (if you are considering them) have approved fitters. Would be worth enquiring at an approved stockist, Tharg

#184435 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks,Wigwam. I believe they do and if I chose Karndean, I’ll get them to recommend one. Another useful thing about Karndean (and Amtico) is a website which has a “designer” routine which lets you upload a snap of your room and fill in the floor bit with a chosen pattern,

#184439 Reply
    Brydo

It’s Amtico my daughter has, hers is glued to a concrete substrate. To be honest there’s nothing to fitting this type of flooring but I suppose you need an approved fitter to ensure you get the warranty.

#184459 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup, Brydo. They do seem pretty easy to put down. Sadly, just impossible for me though. Anything involving being on hands and knees generates loud profanity and much pain. Would have to use a fitter regardless of choice.

#184514 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Tharg. As an afterthought..

My neighbour was just complaining about scratches all over her vinyl tiles caused to her new cat.  Worth considering if you have pets..

#184615 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks for afterthought, @Wigwam Well understood point. My current cork stuff has a goodly number of scratches caused by badly cornering dog!

Went to a tile warehouse/shop yesterday to assess the vinyl stuff. Sadly, do not think it is a starter for my kitchen. Too thin, hardly any texture to give a “soft” surface. Even the salesman said that it would scratch and maybe fade in direct sunlight. Not really suitable for high-usage cooking area.

#184617 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Thanks for afterthought, @Wigwam Well understood point. My current cork stuff has a goodly number of scratches caused by badly cornering dog! Went to a tile warehouse/shop yesterday to assess the vinyl stuff. Sadly, do not think it is a starter for my kitchen. Too thin, hardly any texture to give a “soft” surface. Even the salesman said that it would scratch and maybe fade in direct sunlight. Not really suitable for high-usage cooking area.

Hi Tharg. Was it proper stuff you looked at i.e Amitco or Karndean or standard vinyl what the shop said was LVT. As I see it nothing is going to be as soft on the feet as a carpet material.

Porcelain/ceramic tiles will be the most hard wearing and you could put electric underfloor heating on the most walked on area. Unfortunately they are not the softest material to walk on. I always wear slippers with gel insoles as I suffer with my feet indoors, which counteracts a hard floor.

if you go the tile route I would recommend  getting at R9 slip resistance tiles.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Kitchen floors – vinyl or tiles? Advice please…
Your information: