Kia Sportage – Exhaust Particulate Filter

• Creator
    Topic
  • #136114 Reply
    John Reilly

Hi all

Just looking for some advice. Our Sportage 4 (petrol 1.6)  is almost 2 years old with only 6500 miles on the clock.

Our Motability vehicle is for our disabled son and we mainly complete short local journeys to appointments etc with him.

While driving over the last few weeks, we noticed the car has had a judder and yesterday the exhaust particulate filter yellow dashboard light has come on.

Contacted the dealer and while they are going to look at it, I felt the service department were quite dismissive “oh, do you do mainly short journeys? The car needs to be driven at a higher speed for 20-30 minutes and that should clear the issue. Can you not take it on the motorway?”

I don’t remember a conversation when ordering the vehicle that it was not suitable for shorter journey use and feeling a little annoyed about it.

Should I be?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136116 Reply
    file28
    Participant

Drive it like you stole it is the usual cure for this and the dpf in the diesel

Just get your revs up to around 2500 for a while and should burn things out of the exhaust

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#136118 Reply
    file28
    Participant

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/what-is-a-petrol-particulate-filter-and-how-does-it-work/n19953

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#136123 Reply
    Rhodgie
    Participant

No you should not, common knowledge that engines need to be given a longer run now and again to clear them out… take it for a longer run and consider a BEV for next time 👍

#136124 Reply
    Southamman

DPFs do need a goid clean out once in a while. If you don’t do it, tgen become permanently blocked and will need replacing at large expence.
    really, diesels should only be used if you do over 15,000 miles a year, a mix of town and motorway driving.
    Under that a hybrid petrol or petrol car is the better bet, though there will be a version of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) for petrol cars at I think eu6D emissions, a PPF if you will.

if you are doing very small city drives only, then buy an electric car if yiu can charge on your drive, or a petrol hybrid

#136183 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

You don’t have to do high mileage to keep new diesel engines in good condition, all you have to do is once in a while take a trip on a motorway/dual carriageway in a lower gear than normal to keep the revs higher and heat up the exhaust system for 10-15 minutes to give the DPF enough time to burn off the excess carbon build up.

The OH has had a diesel for a few years but only does very short trips in it, once a month I take it up and down two or three junctions on the local motorway and back and that has kept it in perfect condition.

#136189 Reply
    JS

lol John Reilly (original poster} next Thread Title “pulled over for speeding”

Officer. “in a hurry sir?”

John “sorry, No ive been advised to give it a thrashing to clear the DPF”

Officer. “well the roads are quite and you were only a couple of miles over, but the high revving caught our attention, my partner thought and did say you maybe giving it a blow out but……

John “honestly thats what i was doing, in a safe way too.”

Officer.” thats all well and good but You Do Realise You Have A 1.6 PETROL”

#136196 Reply
    JS

joking aside, i have the sister car (Tucson) and ours is a Diesel and i do give it a run and raise the revs every now and again due to lowish miles, a few weeks back our vehicle seemed to be hesitant i thought i should give it a run. however a few days later the car would not start. RAC came, i pointed out it seemed to hesitant and shuddery the other day and we do low miles so could it be something to do with the filter?.

he did a few checks, and it turned out it needed a new Battery (not even 3 years old). he said its common with the start stop tech vehicles and a lot are needing replacing after a couple of years.

so it may also be that rather than needing a blow out, which i highly recommend just for the fun aspect (in a safe a legal way)

#136223 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

All the talk here seems to be about Diesel Particulate Filter while the OP’s car is a petrol engine with a Petrol Particulate Filter and according to the link file28 posted above it say and I quote “According to manufacturers, cars with petrol particulate filters shouldn’t need to regularly be driven at higher speeds for short periods to stop them getting clogged up with soot, unlike with diesels.”

That said I’ve had three cars with Diesel Particulate Filters and many, many short journeys in Winter and have never had any problems with the cars. While the two VAG cars had a system that triggered the re-gen when the filter is near its capacity my current KIA diesel seems to do it little by little every 250 miles noticeable by an increase in revs with the DSG box and engine working together to keeping the engine hot along with a slight smell of rubber burning though with 11,000 miles on the clock It don’t smell so bad now when it regens.

Yes we would all love affordable EV’s cars that suit our disability so no good just saying go electric and the best we can hold out for is a petrol engine that returns reasonable MPG for the weight they have to pull.

#136314 Reply
    John Reilly

Well car went back to dealership today and they completed a forced regen.

As explained its a 2019 petrol car. I asked if this was a common issue and was told the standard “yes, if you are only driving short distances”

Will keep an eye on it.

Disappointed in general with the Sportage, this issue and just only 25mpg to date makes us feel the car was a poor choice.

#139613 Reply
    Aqil

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I have the same issue with my brand new Tucson N Line 70 Plate. Had it 6 weeks and twice in the dealership. It has juddered and been hesitant since just after the 14 day cooling off period and the 1st time I took it to the dealership they said they could not locate any issue with the car having taken it out for a test drive not today whilst out shopping the PPF light came on and the shaking juddering was constant to the point I hate driving slow as it shakes violently it’s almost very embarrassing. Not holding out much hope taking it to the dealers tomorrow.</p>

#139635 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

This must be a Kia/Hyundai problem.  As I understand it from BMW, petrol particulate filters burn off residue in normal use as petrol engine exhaust are much hotter then diesel exhausts.  Certainly there’s been no problem with our X1 which rarely goes more than 2 or 3 miles at a time of late.

#139666 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”> It has juddered and been hesitant since just after the 14 day cooling off period……………</p>

Just so you are aware, there is no ’14 day cooling off period’ with a Motability vehicle.

The Distance Selling Regulations do not apply, as Motability insist that you collect the vehicle from the dealers premises (even if you can currently order remotely).

Once you enter your pin at the dealership there is no right to cancel or return the vehicle, you are bound by the lease agreement.  The following is from the Motability Lease agreement:

By entering your PIN when you collect the vehicle you are agreeing to the t&c’s of the lease agreement including the above.

However, if you can demonstrate to Motability that you have lost all confidence in the vehicle due to a recurrent (and seemingly unrepairable) fault, Motability, as owner(s) of the vehicle, may permit you to terminate your lease at their discretion.

Alternatively, Motability as owners can reject the vehicle, but obviously this must be done in co-ordination with Motability (as they own the vehicle), the leasee and the dealership.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Kia Sportage – Exhaust Particulate Filter
Your information: