kia Soul Electric

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #124521 Reply
    Ellie

Kia Soul order update:

Things seem to be going quite smoothly with the dealership. They are arranging for a DashCam to be fitted for me prior to handover for a very reasonable price. I was able to choose a number plate which includes my initials 😊

They are in the process of arranging for the vehicle to be registered as an electric vehicle for car tax purposes. This is so I can keep the disabled classification on old vehicle while we sell it.

They very quickly sent me a copy of the vehicle order details as requested by BP Chargemaster.

Handover likely to be the end of this week or early next week.

My Odyssey with BP Chargemaster has now started.

They took a week to contact me which isn’t too bad. The person I spoke to yesterday was a pleasant but seemed to have little training. She was asking me questions about my electrical system, but clearly didn’t know anything about electrics. (Neither do I, I should add)

As a result we went round the houses a few times trying to establish exactly what information she needed. One of the things she asked is whether our showers are full electric. Well I didn’t really know what that meant and neither did she. Apparently some showers are only partly electric.

So to be on the safe side we decided they were.

BP Chargemaster will need to contact my electricity supplier due to the potential load of our appliances.

She asked me if our boiler was gas or electric and didn’t appear to have an option for oil.

The form that they sent me to sign electronically regarding the OLEV grant had the wrong installation address so I’ve emailed that back to them.

The OLEV form has a statement to the effect that the customer has to make sure that the installer isn’t overcharging for the installation. Not sure how how customers are supposed to do that.

The application process on the BP Chargemaster website could be better. It would be helpful if they told you exactly what photos they needed and from what angle before customers start the process of photographing and then uploading.

They need a photo of the the electric meter which includes the number of amps. And to mark the wall with some chalk or a label exactly where the charging station is to be installed.

I had taken the photos earlier in the day yesterday and it was dark by the time  I started the upload process, so I couldn’t easily go back and re photograph at the time.

So hopefully what I have uploaded is ok. We will see!

#125028 Reply
    Ellie

Kia Soul update

We were supposed to collect the car on Friday, but this has been delayed until tomorrow as the dealer was still sorting out the registration of the vehicle as electric for car tax purposes. Apparently it has turned out to be more complex than expected.

Also the installation of the dash cam required a different bridging fuse due to the fact it is being installed in an EV. The fuse had to be ordered which also resulted in some delay.

There has been some movement with BP Chargemaster and the installation of a home charging point.

BP Chargemaster have today contacted my electricity supplier as they have assessed the load for the property to be more than 60 amps. An “Apply to Connect” application has been made. No idea quickly this sort of thing is turned round, or if I will need any electrical work done before the charge point is installed.

We will have a granny charger that we can use in the meantime.

I saw on speak EV that most of blue Soul’s have gone now, so we were lucky to get one. (Well tomorrow hopefully)

#125036 Reply
    Rhodgie

I’m interested in the dash cam installation as I thought they couldn’t be hard wired into a Motability car?

They’re aren’t any different fuses in an EV so no idea what that is about 🤔🤷‍♂️

#125041 Reply
    Motaxyz
    Participant

From Motability website
    Fitting a dashcam to a Motability Scheme car?
    If you’re considering fitting a dashcam to your Scheme car, here’s what you need to know:

The dashcam must be plug in type and not hard wired into the vehicle
    It must be attached in such a way as to not cause damage to the vehicle (eg fixed by suckers and not permanantely attached to the dashboard)
    Any associated costs must be covered by you (including the purchase of the dashcam and any fitting/removal costs)
    Your dealer may also be able to help advise you on purchasing and installing a dashcam

#125045 Reply
    Ellie

Rhodgie & Smallcar

I rang motability and checked re the DashCam. I was advised that it could be hardwired as long as it was done by the dealer prior to handover.

I bought the DashCam and hardwire kit and the dealers have fitted it for me.

Rhodgie – the fuse thing sounded odd to me, but I know nothing about wiring in DashCams so couldn’t argue!

I’ve also asked the dealer to check the vehicle firmwear is up to date and also software for the maps. I don’t think it had occurred to them to check.

#125051 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

I’ve seen a few of these little cars around now and all in blue, one was sat next to us in slow traffic and the brakes were making a really odd groaning noise, I guess that’s the brake regeneration in action?

#125145 Reply
    Carl

I’m keeping my eye on the Q4 price, if it comes down to around the £2k mark, I will be tempted to go for one!! 🤞

#125162 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Cant see it ever dropping a grand Carl. If anything i see it going up or coming off the scheme.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#125175 Reply
    Carl

I know what you mean stuart.

I have seen so many APs on the scheme rocket up in price this year.  But similarly some of the EV cars have come down considerably this year, as an example… nissan left was over 2k at one time now can be had for £799, Peugeot e208 was double the  current £899 price tag..

So I am hopeful the EV cars will gradually become a more attractive proposition.   I live in hope anyway!!

#125179 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

Kia Soul update

Collected the car today. All went smoothly and the dealer kindly included very nice Soul floor mats and boot liner 😊 We took it on a test drive only 2 weeks ago, so we couldn’t ask for things to go any more quickly.

There was a firmwear and map software update which the dealer sorted out for us.

Very pleased with our choice. I hope it does stay on the scheme as the range makes EVs much more practical. The APs will no doubt come down in time, but we do live in very strange times at the moment. Fingers crossed for you Carl.

My husband has a week off work, so will be happily going through the manual and familiarising himself with what it can do.

Watching the regen when braking on the way home was interesting, lots of data on the displays as you are going along.

Anyone has any queries about the car, just ask.

Just waiting for BP Chargemaster to install the charge point.

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#125185 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Well done Ellie, looks fabulous especially in that colour. Crossing my fingers it stays on the scheme so i can order one in 2 months. Please keep us all updated what life is like living with it and i would really be interested in the range you get over the winter. But for now im well jealous lol.

#125194 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

Thanks Stuart, it is smart in the blue. 😎 I’ll keep you updated on how we get on. As we are coming into winter we will soon find out what the range is like as it gets colder. I did see that Bjorn Nyland had problems with the charge port in winter, but I doubt it will be cold enough here for that to happen. At least I hope we don’t end up with a Norwegian winter!

Will post a photo tomorrow of my wheelchair in the boot.

Hopefully it will stay on the scheme for you, and with a reduced AP in time for Christmas. 😉

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#125199 Reply
    JS

Glad your happy with it Ellie and thank you for keeping us all updated, it’s very helpful to a lot of people,

#125205 Reply
    Carl

Fantastic car ellie, which dealer did u get it from?? I’m impressed it got delivered so quickly for you!!

Fantastic colour.  From the research I have done on these kia 64 kWh units they have excellent range even in the winter unlike some other EVs.  I believe it has a heat pump fitted which uses kinetic energy to heat the car and therefore doesn’t deplete the battery.  Other EVs can use 30% battery when the heating is on, but I am sure that with the heat pump fitted this will not be the case with the soul. 🙂

Keep us updated on how you get on with it, what miles you are achieving per charge and if the heat pump is doing the trick.

#125217 Reply
    Ellie

We got it from Donald’s Carl. The handover was quick partly because Motability didn’t have a backlog, but also because this was an in stock vehicle. We were told that the lead time was only a month though, so not much longer.

Yes I think it does have a heat pump. My brother has a EV (24kw Zoe) and one thing we noticed is that in the winter they are always driving around with their coats on! Presumably because the heating takes up so much energy.

This shouldn’t be a problem with the Soul … I feel the cold so I will certainly be wanting the heating on.

I think that Kia are ahead of the game with their tech compared to a lot of other manufacturers. Their vehicles have a decent battery management system, including preconditioning which will be nice in the winter.

We did do a test drive of the MG ZS, but apart from the ethical considerations of a Chinese vehicle, I was concerned regarding the lack of battery management technology.

I think that when first considering an EV there is quite a steep learning curve when it comes to comparisons between different manufacturers, and the impact and effectiveness of their technology. I found YouTube videos invaluable for helping me to familiarise myself with some of this. In a few years miles per kilowatt hour will become more mainstream ….

Will keep you updated how we get on.

#125221 Reply
    Carl

You are spot on there ellie.  You have to research these things to be fully informed.   I have been researching EVs for several months now and do appreciate the environmental benefits of such a vehicle.  Equally important as the size of the battery is the usable battery capacity,  they are normally two diffrent things.  The peugeot as an example is a 50kwh unit but only has 45 kWh usable capacity, the bmw has a 42 kwh battery but only 39 is actually usable….</p>
    The kia and Hyundai units are all measured in usable capacity….so the 64 kwh battery actually has all 64kwh usable capacity!!   And a heat pump unit is essential because we have more cold wintery type days than sunny warm ones throughout the year!!  Like you I need heat and this soul is the only model on the scheme atm  which will actually cater for these needs with no range anxiety.

#125349 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

As promised, photo of boot with my wheelchair in. My husband has secured it with bungee cords to the sides of the boot.

He has put the boot down to the lower level. You can see that there is still a bit of space in front of the wheelchair, and too the sides.

Enough for us nearly all of the time. We will probably get roof storage for the times we need more space.

This car is a compromise, boot space for range. There are vehicles on the scheme with quite a bit more boot space, but less range. Down to individual choice. But, in three years time, ohhh, we will be able to have range & boot space (if we can afford the APs that is!)

Soul

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#125355 Reply
    JS

Brilliant, so glad it works for you, and I assume there is no compromise with the rear seats with your set up? Even looks like you would still maintain a reasonable rear view because of the more boxy design, I wish more manufacturers would adopt it. Thanks again for sharing.

#125385 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

@JS , thanks,  no compromise with the rear seats with the wheelchair in the boot. Rear view is reasonable, although the back pillars do obscure the view a bit. This is offset by the reversing cameras. Wheelchair in the boot doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Pleased to see it is still on the scheme for the beginning of Q4, with no increase in advance payment.

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#125399 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Awesome Ellie, that works well with the wheelchair in.

Lovely colour.

The heat pump will probably heat the car for about a week on a full charge, my e2008 also has a heat pump & I can sit watching the sea, sipping coffee, whilst keeping toasty & the SOC doesn’t seem to drop.

I think when Bjorn tested the eSoul last winter he ran into really icy conditions & had to bail out of his test but he’d already tested the eNiro so we had a good idea that it would be fine.

As for 3 years time, maybe we’ll get the updated eNiro, perhaps the Ioniq expanding into a range of EVs will mean we’ll have one of those, but I’m certain that we’ll be wanting another EV.

#126353 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Kia Soul – Charge point update</p>
    As you probably know Motability cover the cost of installation of a home charge point if you get a fully electric vehicle.

BP Chargemaster undertake the installation. They have managed to get both my address totally wrong, and then my address right but my postcode wrong.

BP Chargemaster assessed that we would need a fuse upgrade. This is being done by UK Power Network for free.

They are upgrading to an 80 amp fuse. An engineer is coming out in a couple of weeks to do a site visit. Then once the work is done it will be back to BP Chargemaster to install the charge point.

UK Power Network seem to be well organised, and their call centre staff pleasant and well trained.

Unfortunately we haven’t been able to go out in the car since weekend as my husband got a ping from the NHS app telling him to stay at home and isolate. No symptoms so far thankfully, so hopefully all is well.

I will update again when the charge point is fitted.

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#137868 Reply
    Ellie

A belated update on our Kia Soul which we we took delivery of at the end of September last year.

The home charge point was fitted by BP Chargemaster in December. The chap who did the installation was very good and did a nice tidy install.

If I had to install another chargepoint I wouldn’t use BP Chargemaster again. They haven’t been particularly efficient and have made admin errors which have taken time to sort out.

Initially they got the address of the install completely wrong presumably mixing it up with another customer. Then they got the postcode wrong and our street address.

This was carried over to the electrical certificate and the buildings regs certificate despite being told the correct information.

The installers charge point installation package with the essential items to to install the charge point was missing a vital part. As a result the installation had to be done over 2 days instead of one.

The experience with Kia has been mixed. I suspect that the combination of an electric vehicle and a motability lease hasn’t helped. There is no doubt in my mind that motability customers don’t get such a good overall service.

Parts of the service when we purchased the car were good and parts were pretty bad.

Earlier this month we had a safety recall for the vehicle, something to do with the the brakes and the sensors. My husband has rung Kia four times now to try to arrange a slot with the technician to update the software. No return call so far. Very poor.

Having a charge point at home is very convenient and something that we really like about having an EV. It costs just under £9 to charge from 20% to 80% and takes just over 6 hours. Every few charges we charge up to 100% to condition the battery.

We haven’t yet changed our electricity supplier as the smart meter has only recently been installed. But it is something that I am looking into and the Octopus go tariff looks good.

The Biden administration appears to to be pointing in the right direction with electrifying federal vehicles which hopefully will help push innovation in the right direction.

Although marketed as a city car the Soul is great for majority of our journeys in this rural area. Having a decent capacity battery means that we don’t have to charge that often and we also have flexibility if we want to go on longer journeys.

It is let down by its boot size, but so far it hasn’t been an issue. My husband loves driving it. Overall we are very pleased we have gone electric. We plan for our next car also to be electric, just with a bigger boot! In 3 years time there will be much more choice but in the meantime the Soul is doing us just fine.

I’ll post a photo of the charge point shortly when I can remember how to do it.

#137869 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

A belated update on our Kia Soul which we we took delivery of at the end of September last year. The home charge point was fitted by BP Chargemaster in December. The chap who did the installation was very good and did a nice tidy install. If I had to install another chargepoint I wouldn’t use BP Chargemaster again. They haven’t been particularly efficient and have made admin errors which have taken time to sort out. Initially they got the address of the install completely wrong presumably mixing it up with another customer. Then they got the postcode wrong and our street address. This was carried over to the electrical certificate and the buildings regs certificate despite being told the correct information. The installers charge point installation package with the essential items to to install the charge point was missing a vital part. As a result the installation had to be done over 2 days instead of one. The experience with Kia has been mixed. I suspect that the combination of an electric vehicle and a motability lease hasn’t helped. There is no doubt in my mind that motability customers don’t get such a good overall service. Parts of the service when we purchased the car were good and parts were pretty bad. Earlier this month we had a safety recall for the vehicle, something to do with the the brakes and the sensors. My husband has rung Kia four times now to try to arrange a slot with the technician to update the software. No return call so far. Very poor. Having a charge point at home is very convenient and something that we really like about having an EV. It costs just under £9 to charge from 20% to 80% and takes just over 6 hours. Every few charges we charge up to 100% to condition the battery. We haven’t yet changed our electricity supplier as the smart meter has only recently been installed. But it is something that I am looking into and the Octopus go tariff looks good. The Biden administration appears to to be pointing in the right direction with electrifying federal vehicles which hopefully will help push innovation in the right direction. Although marketed as a city car the Soul is great for majority of our journeys in this rural area. Having a decent capacity battery means that we don’t have to charge that often and we also have flexibility if we want to go on longer journeys. It is let down by its boot size, but so far it hasn’t been an issue. My husband loves driving it. Overall we are very pleased we have gone electric. We plan for our next car also to be electric, just with a bigger boot! In 3 years time there will be much more choice but in the meantime the Soul is doing us just fine. I’ll post a photo of the charge point shortly when I can remember how to do it.

Glad your liking the car, hope to be joining you in 2 weeks time. I hear you loud and clear when it comes to BP, they lost all my details and Motability had to cancel and re apply the lease but its all back on track now and should be installed next month. Sorry to hear about the poor service from your dealer, mines been brilliant even ringing me when hes on furlough. Would love to see a picture of your POD install, did you go for the un tethered one ?

#137874 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

Sorry that you have also had problems with BP Chargemaster Stuart, although I’m not surprised. did you need any electrical work doing such as an upgrade of the fuse before the chargepoint install could go ahead?

The actual installer was very good though, professional and tidy. I suspect the work had been subcontracted out.

Yes we got an untethered charger. They are a bit tidier and we had the cable which came with the Kia anyway.

Good to hear your experience with the dealer has been positive.

I have been trying to post a photo of the Chargemaster chargepoint, but keep getting a critical error. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, is there a maximum size of the photo do you know?

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#137920 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Sorry that you have also had problems with BP Chargemaster Stuart, although I’m not surprised. did you need any electrical work doing such as an upgrade of the fuse before the chargepoint install could go ahead? The actual installer was very good though, professional and tidy. I suspect the work had been subcontracted out. Yes we got an untethered charger. They are a bit tidier and we had the cable which came with the Kia anyway. Good to hear your experience with the dealer has been positive. I have been trying to post a photo of the Chargemaster chargepoint, but keep getting a critical error. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, is there a maximum size of the photo do you know?

Yeah i think there is a maximum picture size, not sure what it is though. I needed nothing upgrading because i have recently just had the meter upgraded when i switched to a smart meter and and fuse box upgraded in a kitchen refit so all was good there. Opting for the un tethered as well, as you say the car comes with the cable and it looks neater. Just wish i could collect the car and get on with it lol

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
Reply To: kia Soul Electric
Your information: