Kia Picanto/Hyundia i10 automatic box any good ?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #181150 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

Like others I am unfortunately thinking of leaving the scheme later in the year.

After doing the numbers over and over,  buying one of the above new , and keeping for 3 years (sell ) or 6 years , i should spend no more (maybe a little less) than what i do with Motability

I have read quite a few so called “expert” reviews about this AMT box

One of the worst ( assume the i10 and picanto are very similar cars and they share the same AMT)  Hyundai i10 (2020) “expert” review: diminishing returns

“What about that AMT?
    If you value your sanity, do not buy the AMT. Standing for automated manual transmission, we truly thought this type of gearbox was on its way out. This gearbox alone would be sufficient to take the i10 from a four-star car to a one-star car.

It’s laughably slow and jerky to shift, up or down. It’s possible to smooth things out a little by lifting off slightly, but it’s so unpredictable that it’s very difficult to modulate this. You can take manual control if you wish – via the shifter, not paddles – but that doesn’t speed matters up.”

How do people find it in the real world??, reason i ask, i have an auto licence only, and no dealers near me have any autos in stock to try.

I see on the picantio you can only have the AMT with a 1.0 with 66bhp
    Where as the I10 you can get 1.0l with 66 bhp or 1.2l with 84bhp

I do mainly town and village driving 70%, and A roads 25%, and motorway 5%

Any input on the above engines would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by myself33.
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #181154 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I take auto gearbox reviews with a pinch on salt as normally they all prefer a manual over an automatic.

I used to dislike auto’s till i could not drive a manual anymore.

I have a civic currently with has a cvt which many seem to hate and i really do like it.

I am thinking of getting maybe a kia rio, also it would have to be auto and i deffo won’t be getting one if i cannot have a test drive in a car that has the automatic gear box even if it’s not the same model thats ok.

#181164 Reply
    Just2Fish

I had the misfortune to drive a brand new i10 loan car with automatic box yesterday while my Kona was being updated. I called it the Slug, horrible drive, the best thing that I could have done with what otherwise seemed a reasonable car was crash it to put it out of its misery. If you are still tempted go for a decent length of test drive first.

#181288 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

Just2Fish did you find the gearbox jerky and none smooth, when it was changing gears? , Many thanks

#181297 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I took my elderly neighbours Picanto 1l auto for a service in January due him being ill at he time. I found the gearbox slow and cumbersome yet my neighbour who just tootles arounds town loves it and wouldn’t hear a bad word about it. I also found it underpowered but what you have to remember is I drive a car with 2 – 4 times the horse power and mine and others driving characteristics may be totally different to yours.

The best thing you can do to put your own mind at rest is ask for an extended test drive or even try arrange to have it for 24hrs. The only other thing I would say the newer Il turbo is far better than the 1.2 na.

Have you looked at the Dacia Sandero auto, I believe its around the same price as the 3 trim Picanto if not a little cheaper.

Don’t forget places like Autorader Carwow etc

#181327 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

Kezo  assume it was the 1.0l 66bhp AMT automatic box?, yes managed to test drive the Sandero comfort automatic yesterday, thought the driver is very comfy and the auto box silky smooth.

At the moment it’s nearly impossible to get hold of Hyundai i10 or Kia picanto in automatic test drive, I prefer i10  looks and better quality cabin interior to the Dacia.

Having said that my choice is between the Dacia Sandero and the i10

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by myself33.
    #181501 Reply
    Just2Fish

For sure, but I have to admit that I’ve been driving an electric Kona for getting on for a year now, now that’s a great car.

#181552 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Myself33, you stated its hard to get hold of a i10/picanto auto for a test drive. See if you can find a used one at any garage and take that for a drive. Being an used example you can see how it drives since the engine etc has loosened up after so many miles

#181563 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Kezo assume it was the 1.0l 66bhp AMT automatic box?, yes managed to test drive the Sandero comfort automatic yesterday, thought the driver is very comfy and the auto box silky smooth. At the moment it’s nearly impossible to get hold of Hyundai i10 or Kia picanto in automatic test drive, I prefer i10 looks and better quality cabin interior to the Dacia. Having said that my choice is between the Dacia Sandero and the i10

Yes it was the 1.0l 66hp. If it were me I would choose the Dacia purely because I’d be happier with how it drives over the looks and I don’t think the revised Sandero looks shabby, in fact I quite like it. Interior quality is subjective and I dont think the interior quality will differ vastly and certainly distract from the over look of the interior. I would also be sitting and thinking if all I was using a car for was to tootle locally with the occasional longer journey does it really matter looks and would be putting functionality over perceived quality. I would also be cagy buying a car without driving it first if I had any reservations about it, in this case the auto box.

Ultimately these opinions are mine and unfortunately only you can decide whats best for you.

#181638 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

Hi kezo thanks for your input, very much sound advice 🙂

#181646 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Let us know how you go on and what you choose. Its worth looking on the likes of Autotrader as you can often save a little again’s RRP.

#181649 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

I will do, as crazy as bit sounds it’s cheaper to buy new than nearly new ,  so going to be going down that route

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Kia Picanto/Hyundia i10 automatic box any good ?
Your information: