KIA, 300 miles and charge times of “less than 20 minutes.”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #136415 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Kia gears up to launch seven new electric cars by 2027
    Kia has sparked its aspirational brand restructure, which will see the firm focus more heavily on electric cars and sustainable motoring

Kia gears up to launch seven new electric cars by 2027
    Kia has sparked its aspirational brand restructure, which will see the firm focus more heavily on electric cars and sustainable motoring

Kia has released more details on the next phase of its “Plan S” business strategy. The brand will launch seven new EVs by 2027 and switch to more sustainable manufacturing methods, placing a greater reliance on recycled materials and renewable energy.

The biggest news is that Kia will launch the first of its next-generation electric vehicles during Spring this year. It’ll be based on the company’s all-new E-GMP electric underpinnings, which will provide a maximum claimed range of more than 300 miles and charge times of “less than 20 minutes.”

Internally known as the Kia CV, the brand hasn’t yet confirmed what the mystery EV will be called when it lands in showrooms, but the firm has said it’ll be the first model to bear the revised company logo. We also know that the very fastest version of this new halo car will have a 0–62mph time of less than three seconds.

This new EV will also usher in the company’s new design language. We’ve already seen prototype versions of the new car undergoing testing – and it looks set to adopt a new coupe-SUV silhouette, which is unlike anything else currently in the firm’s line-up.

The Korean firm recently released its new logo, which was designed to work alongside its aspirational new business model. The company’s old oval logo has been ditched in favour of a stylised version of the word “Kia,” which is supposed to conjure up thoughts of “symmetry and rhythm.”

Kia also removed the “Motors” suffix from its nameplate, which it says is a way of signalling how the brand is “breaking away from traditional manufacturing-driven business model.” Finally, the company’s slogan has changed from “the power to surprise” to the more modest motto of “movement that inspires.”

As part of the restructure, Kia plans to expand its business into the eco-friendly mobility sector, providing electric vehicles and autonomous technology for use in the world’s largest cities. The firm is also ramping up collaboration with the world’s ride-hailing and food delivery services such as Grab (Southeast Asia) and Ola (India).

Closer to home, Kia also established a partnership with the Spanish car-sharing service, WiBLE. Currently, the company has a fleet of 500 Kia Niro PHEVs operating in the city Madrid – and it inspired Kia to launch its own version of the service in Russia, called KiaMobility. Kia says that actions such as these will help the company achieve its ultimate goal of becoming a mobility provider.

Kia’s Senior Vice President, Artur Martins, said: “Movement has always been at the heart of our brand – and moving people at the core of our business. Movement helps humankind to constantly progress, improve and evolve. That is why at Kia we believe that movement inspires ideas.”

Kia will soon develop a range of purpose-built vehicles (PBVs) for corporate customers in an effort to meet the forecasted five-fold increase in demand by 2030. These will be built on flexible skateboard platforms and feature modular bodies, which can be easily swapped out to meet the needs of each business. Options could include low-level logistics vehicles, car-sharing vehicles and delivery vehicles.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Brydo.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136456 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Looking forward to these cars appearing, Hyundai/Kia & Tesla are the companies keeping EVs honest by challenging the traditional fossil companies.

#136464 Reply
    Brydo

Maybe by the time we change again, in three years time, so I can get rid of this gas guzzling xc40.

#136475 Reply
    JS

things are changing with the Tesla Model 3 topping the Best Seller list for December. beating the Fiesta/Golf/ regular cars and the Id.3 taking 4th spot

#136528 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Had a Google for the Kia CV. Quite impressed. Nice shape, very modern and aerodynamic. It leans towards the crossover thing but still looks like a car rather a tank. By the time it gets into metal I suspect regulations and managers will spoil the looks. Hopefully they’ll not mess up the promised technology and mechanics.

#136610 Reply
    Carl

I’m really impressed with both kia and hyundai, they really are producing some impressive EVs with ranges almost as impressive as the tesla.

There is a fabulous video online, matt Watson from carwaw test drive 6 premium badge EV,  all at 70 mph on the motorway in convoy until they literally run out of charge.  Jaguar I-pace,  Nissan leaf 62kwh, Mercedes eqc, audi etron, tesla model 3 long range, Hyundai kona 64kwh.

The worse performing cars was the Mercedes eqc and only travelled 199 miles, followed by audi 203 miles.

Unsurprisingly, the tesla long range went the furthest at 270 miles.

But the star of the show was the hyundai kona, came second at 255 miles, achieving 95% of its claimed range whilst all the others including the tesla were actually only achieving 70-75% of their claimed range.   Bare in mind all the premium badge cars here are twice the price of the hyundai.

Hyundai and kia share the same platforms for their EVs and I must stay, they are a class act in the lectric car sector!!

#136611 Reply
    Carl

Other test drives of kia and hyundai EVs with the 64kwh batteries are already achieving over 300 miles per charge when road tests are undertaken at lower speed roads 30-50 mph speedlimit roads.

#136622 Reply
    Belfast4

Was watching a program this morning about yogurt being made. Part of it showed the milk being delivered years ago by electric milk floats, I wonder what the range was of an electric milk float all those years ago.

#136625 Reply
    JS

Was watching a program this morning about yogurt being made. Part of it showed the milk being delivered years ago by electric milk floats, I wonder what the range was of an electric milk float all those years ago.

around 35Miles when they fist came out  rising to 60-80 as they progressed. the ones most on here will remember were rated at about 50Miles.

#136629 Reply
    Belfast4

And some of the electric cars now haven’t got much more range.

#136645 Reply
    Carl

Belfast4 and JS, I worked on an electric milk float as a primary school boy, delieverying milk and pop with the milkman on a sunday morning!!  I remember them well. 🙂

#136646 Reply
    JS

Belfast4 and JS, I worked on an electric milk float as a primary school boy, delieverying milk and pop with the milkman on a sunday morning!! I remember them well. 🙂

And Pop! 5p back on a bottle of Corona ha ha brilliant. ive started a Thread in Off Topic because it made me smile.

Do You Remember!

#136668 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Most of the younger folks on here probably never saw the old lekky milk floats so here’s a typical one:

Batteries were monster lead-acid variety – mounted under the load bed. If you were going to have a crash, it was best not to hit one of these. The sheer mass of immoveable battery object would demolish a car easily.

Delivery by modern battery vans is coming on apace from supermarkets. Will post separately…

#136669 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Asda are using custom battery trucks. Main use is to take stuff from storage to click-and-collect pick-up points. However, they have used them for home deliveries too. Got a delivery from one of these last week…

And Waitrose are trying them too:

#136670 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I believe we have now reached a time where electric cars are a serious consideration. Two big issues remain for me . Battery life and performance. Availability of charging points including the ability to install at home. Ranges are now approaching acceptable limits and projected charging times too. A good selection on Motability with some NIL AP.</p>

#136694 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Yes, it’s the charging point problem, there are some councils who have gone all out to encourage & install chargers, just look at Milton Keynes on Zap-Map https://www.zap-map.com/live/ and you’ll realise that it’s a town that is very serious about EVs. Some parts of London are covered in lampost type chargers, again look at Zap-Map, you can’t miss the thousands of yellow & yellow/blue markers.

Alas many councils across the UK have either ignored or paid a mere token gesture to the waves of EVs arriving on the roads. Some have even sidelined public money to supply free charges to the council employees, no doubt they’ll be prosecuted by the Exchequer in time for tax evasion.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: KIA, 300 miles and charge times of “less than 20 minutes.”
Your information: