Just filled the WAV up, but not completely

• Creator
    Topic
  • #167155 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’ve just been to Asda to fill up the WAV (VW Transporter conversion) I paid 142.7 for diesel. It stopped dispensing at £99 and would have taken more. My energy bills just increased by 25% overnight too.

Is it me or are things getting a little out of control?

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #167246 Reply
    Rene

At 65p per full charge, it’s somewhat negligible. That’s barely half a litre of petrol, and half a litre of petrol doesn’t get us 40 miles. Not even fractional.

To be fair though, we did drive a little spicy, by my estimate we could’ve gotten around 140mpg (highest we’ve seen was 130mpg, but only momentarily until we lost 10 by putting the foot down).

After seeing especially diesel prices (not that petrol is great either), i think that’s the way forward to us. Something to hoon about in properly, and once the responsibility kicks in, it does economical too.

#167247 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

How do you arrive at 65p per full charge, Rene?

#167248 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Our XC40 has averaged 80.7mpg over its 2200 odd miles. Total spurious of course because it ignores the electricity used, but it’s comforting never the less.

Our Outlander PHEV average over the past 14 months 8702 miles taking including electric cost @ 5 pence kWh 120.86mpg, however its going to drop a bit now the cold weather is coming ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#167249 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

I find it hard to understand your logic, Brydo. Markets operate on supply and demand, whether it’s a supermarket or an OPEC oil producer. Their primary responsibility is to their shareholders and investors. Those same investors that provide everyone’s pensions, by the way…

35 percent of the aged population in the UK rely on a state pension only, they, like I, are probably less keen on being shafted by multinational big business, but still, so long as your ok, eh.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#167253 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

State pensions provided from taxation. Without the wealth creation of businesses there would be no-one to tax.

#167264 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

How do you arrive at 65p per full charge, Rene?

By looking how big the battery is (13.5 ish kw) and how much we pay per kwh (5p)?

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#167265 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

This might be easier.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#167272 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Thanks Rene. I presume the 5p rate is from Octopus Go which is for 4 hours only so a full charge in the example would cost more. In our experience, most days don’t need a full charge though. And the amount of charge achieved within the 4 hours would need you to use a wall box charger, the cost of which is a factor, unless you have one of course.

I’ve been keeping records over the nearly three months we’ve had our XC40 PHEV, charging from a 13A socket at standard rate electricity, and I will be crunching the numbers to see if Octopus Go is really a good option. At the moment my instinct is that for us it isn’t.

The standard tariff on Octopus Go is currently 24.45p per kW which is what all electricity used outside the 4 hour window will cost, compared with about 20p on other tariffs, and unlike an EV,  I don’t believe a PHEV is likely to use so much electricity that it makes it cheaper to use Octopus Go, but we will see.

#167292 Reply
    Rene

We did the math, and yes, absolutely it does.

The PHEV will by far be your biggest consumer, assuming you charge it every two days. And no, i did of course not include the cost of the charging box, since that’s an investment not into the current car, but all cars coming after – i very much doubt that we’ll go back to full ICE cars. But even if we did, our savings are around £500-£600 a year, which means that the charger amortised itself within the first year, or shortly thereafter – depending on which charger we go with in the end.

It’s 65p per full charge, as i said. Or, if we go by your assumption (which might be correct, could be that we only charge 80%), it’s less. At our current tariff, it’s almost £2.80 per full charge, an increase of more than 400%.

Our next biggest consumers are the fridge, washing machine and tumble dryer, and then of course by far the car. The appliances will run in the same time window, reducing the energy cost even more, even though we’re using a heatpump tumble.

Obviously it’s gonna depend on how often you drive, and how often you drive in pure electric mode. I know how often we would, and it’s not even close. Yes, the “general electricity” goes up by 4p. We use around 3000kwh a year. Even if i’m charitable to your argument and say we only charge 10kwh instead of 13kwh, and then be more charitable and say we’ll only charge it on 100 days of the year instead of the every two days that we most likely would, that’s an additional 1000kwh just for the car. If you take out tumble/washer, it’s an additional (approx) 900kwh. On top of that, other major consumers like the fridge/freezer get partially reduced in price too. Yes, it runs 20 hours a day at 20% increased cost, but it also runs 4 hours a day at 75% reduced cost, including every other “permanent consumer”.

So, in the end, we get half our electricity cost slashed by 75%, and half of our electricity cost increased by 20% (actually less since, as mentioned, permanent consumers do get reduced for 4 hours a day as well).

It’s not even close, really. Of course it depends on driving habits and even your particular car. If you do much “long distance” driving, then it of course makes less sense, especially with the dinky range of the XC40 in the first place. We don’t. I do a 15-20 mile journey every day (well, at least 4 per week), mostly city traffic. I can do that mostly, if not entirely, electric. Assuming your car and distance driven, i’d probably had done 1800 of those 2200 miles electric (for clarification, we don’t drive that distance in that time though). That’s already 750kwh alone. In three months. At 20.5p per kwh, instead of 5p per kwh.

Speak for yourself. It’s not “a PHEV likely to use so much electricity” – it’s, if anything, yours that doesn’t, because you either don’t drive it efficiently or, probably more likely, your trips are too long to. So, sure. In your use-case, might not be smart to change. But that’s not because “a PHEV doesn’t use so much electricity”, it’s because your trips are too long to be able to fully benefit of the electric range (albeit, granted, we’d probably struggle with the XC40 E-only range too). If every trip, or every other trip, is over 30 miles, and you only charge it once a week, yeah it might not make sense.

For us, and i did look at the numbers, it absolutely does. Big time.

Out of curiosity. Does the XC40 log how often/much you charged it? Would be interesting to see the numbers. I know the Golf does (albeit through We Connect), no idea about the XC40. Would be interesting to see how many of those 2200 miles were electric.

As a sidenote, and i’d agree that it’s somewhat insignificant, the standing charge drops by 5p as well from Octo Flex to Octo Go. Still 20 quid saved.

#167295 Reply
    Ian

Octopus Go really works for me. Ev consumes around 500kw a month which I mostly can cover with cheap overnight charging.

Do need the home charger tho or I would be unable to take advantage of 5p per kw rates

#167296 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I was speaking for myself, Rene.

And no, a PHEV isn’t going to use as much electricity as an EV because it also uses petrol, unless you never use up the battery range.

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Just filled the WAV up, but not completely
Your information: