Just curious

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155322 Reply
    Paul

Currently motorbility states 1559 vehicles available on the scheme.

What’s the largest total  that as been on at one time?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155323 Reply
    Mmoreton5

I remember seeing 2000+- last year.

#155333 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Over 4,000. That’s why many of us are so critical about the comparative lack of choice nowadays, particularly larger cars.

#155376 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Jan to March 2008 in the price guide they quoted over 3000 vehicles. A lot of the reduction in numbers is due to the introduction of WLTP testing, where every car with every option had to be tested individually so manufactures started to reduce the number of options avaialble and replaced these with ‘packs’ in many cases.

#155419 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Jan to March 2008 in the price guide they quoted over 3000 vehicles. A lot of the reduction in numbers is due to the introduction of WLTP testing, where every car with every option had to be tested individually so manufactures started to reduce the number of options avaialble and replaced these with ‘packs’ in many cases.

Hi wmcforum. You’ve made the point before about less models being available nowadays and whilst I don’t wish to appear argumentative I really don’t think this is the case. In fact, I think the opposite is true.

I can’t find any stats to support my theory, but let’s just take BMW as an example. ‘When I were a lad’ their offering was 3, 5 and 7 series saloons, followed some years later by Touring models in the 3 and 5. Model choices were around 3 or 4 different engines and SE or M-Sport only. When the Motability offering was at its peak, BMW probably had 1,3,5 and 7 series cars, plus X1, X3 and X5 SUV’s again all in SE or M-Sport. Probably 3 or 4 diesel and petrol engines for each.  Obviously they weren’t all available on Motability. Nowadays, they have 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8 series cars, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 SUV’s with many of the cars available as saloons, coupes, convertibles and estates with variations in between. Most are available in SE, X-Line, Sport, M-Sport and M-Sport Plus variants and have a huge choice of petrol diesel, PHEV and electric engines. . With a few exceptions, I think that many other manufacturers have followed similar product development strategies. In spite of this huge increase in models, trim levels and engines we have less choice in the scheme than we had years ago.

#155431 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I haven’t a clue as to why there’s less cars now than in the past but I can back up WMC theory that WLTP may or may not of culled some cars as my current car, KIA Carens, was discontinued because they did not sale enough of the model to gain the WLTP ticket and make it viable to manufacture and AFAIK KIA does not have a car to substitute at or below the Motability AP pricing ceiling.

Only one example I know of because I have that car, one of the last to be registered in Europe, but is there others, I don’t know.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #155419 in Just curious
Your information: