JLR and Motability scheme

This topic contains 82 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  SaintsMan 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #49955 Reply

AlanA

As I gave Dr Seth’s email, I contacted JLR about them rejoining the Motability scheme.

the answer is disappointing, but seems to lay the problem on Motability.

the response from JLR was this:

“Thank you for your letter addressed to Dr Speth dated 1st May 2018, in reference to request for Jaguar Land Rover to revisit joining the Mobility scheme.

Given my responsibilities within the Executive Office, Dr Speth has asked me to respond on his behalf.

Jaguar Land Rover were informed by the charity Mobility, that contracts to Motability Operations, who manage the scheme, that the eligibility parameters around the cars on the scheme would be changed. The new guidelines on vehicles now exclude Jaguar Land Rover products, unfortunately we have not received any further information to this.

Please allow me to confirm that Jaguar Land Rover can only apologise for the disappointment caused by the decision taken by Mobility. As you can appreciate such decisions are outside of the control of Jaguar Land Rover and it is with regret we are unable to influence any further changes.”

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #70405 Reply

AlanA

JLR want to have cars on the scheme, I was told that by Ralf Speth, Tge issue is Motability Operations won’t put Tge cars on the scheme. JLR were ready to roll, but Motability Operations pulled out

#70406 Reply

Glos Guy
    Participant

Heaven forbid that Motabilty drivers should be allowed a free choice. As you should know by now, you can’t have what you want, only what you are allowed. So, add brand discrimination to the unwarranted price caps!

#70427 Reply

mitch
    Participant

as long as the price cap is in place i cant see how either can make it on to the scheme, i need an automatic and either the evoque or epace start at 35k for the auto base version and heaven forbid you want leather etc as the price to upgrade is horrendous. so unless your going to allow people to pay a huge ap i cant see how it can happen.

#70488 Reply

Glos Guy

Saw another new disguised car on test this morning. Looked like a mini Velar. Seemed smaller than an Evoque and the new model pics have been released of that, so I doubt it would be disguised 

#70902 Reply

Tonybt37

Wait till 1stApril I think there may be some exciting news both on JLR and electric vehicles. I have this on good authority from within someone high up within Motability. We shall wait wth bated breath.

#70903 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Hope your right tony

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#70915 Reply

Winston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I think there is about as much chance as that Gemma Collins winning a gold medal at the next Winter Olympics than them joining the scheme lol</p>
    Hoping to be proved wrong though ?

#70918 Reply

John Cooper

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Getting ready for  April fools day already lol</p>

#70926 Reply

Glos Guy

I would love to see JLR products available through Motability but, unless the scheme rules change or they are ignored, only the base model E Pace could appear. Every other Jaguar car and the entire product range from Land Rover are above the price caps. Whilst there are other cars up to £35k on the scheme, the rules state that, in order for them to appear, a ‘qualifying model’ below (from memory) £29k manual and £30.5k has to exist. The E pace is the ONLY model in the entire JLR stable that meets this criteria.

#70928 Reply

jamesg

That is the rules   but as you say unless they are ignored    Alfa  Giulia   from £ 33865   200 Bhp   petrol  Auto so who knows  the Alfa was on scheme twice in the not to distant past

#86786 Reply

Belle

Hello

I dont understand why Range Rover is not on the scheme because there is more expensive cars than the evoque on it?

Also the size is smaller than some other suvs available.

Ill be blunt here.

Is it because they don’t want disabled people disabled their cars?

Isn’t that discrimination???

#86788 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Hello I dont understand why Range Rover is not on the scheme because there is more expensive cars than the evoque on it?

Also the size is smaller than some other suvs available. Ill be blunt here. Is it because they don’t want disabled people disabled their cars? Isn’t that discrimination???

Not discrimination.

More to do with stories in the Daily Mail circa 2011 claiming that parents of children with ADHD were driving around in prestige cars courtesy of Motability and the tax payer!

Motability capitulated to the media and public opinion and removed such vehicles from the scheme. The cap was introduced limiting maximum price of vehicles available on the scheme.

Generally It is upto manufacturers if they wish to make whatever vehicles available to the scheme (within or just out of the cap). However Motability do require generous discounts from manufacturers, so some manufacturers do not bother. Some may just want to preserve their exclusivity, or for example if a car is popular in the private sector (more profit) it may not get offered to the scheme.

Provided a manufacturer doesn’t say ‘I am not selling you xxxxxxx car because you are disabled’ then there is no discrimination.

#86806 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

When JLR announced possible redundancies earlier in the year due to a drop in sales, I contacted them (only via Twitter admittedly) stating that there’s a market here untapped.

I do agree with Tony in that, even though I’m new to the scheme; I’ve done some research and see that it’s since that lunatic Littlejohn’s attack on Motability, the restrictions (cap & BHP limit) have become a real headline. Even though he pointed at BMW, of course he meant any & all ‘luxury’ cars.

The issue as I see it is not Motability or what they can work to offer but the leeches who con/have conned the system and so damaged it, probably, irretrievably.

Sad but very true.

? I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it?

#86820 Reply

mitch
    Participant

unfortunateley historically there have been a very small number of people that have abused the scheme over the years particularly when you were able to finance an hp agreement(long time ago) but of course when these individuals are discovered it generates a huge amount of press and a backlash disproportionate to the numbers. then of course you get the likes of the daily fail printing outright lies that become accepted as truth and the backlash grows.not helped of course by the discovery of the vast profits hoarded by the scheme.  so its very unlikely the luxury brands will get on the scheme.

that said i do feel theres an element of “i want” about the whole thing i know i will get slated for this but there is a good choice out there do the jlr etc add anything other than “oh look ive got a jag”. many of the issues that ive read on here about vehicles not being suitable are more to do with manufacturers design of the vehicles sloping rear roofs etc, cameras etc being lumped into expensive “packages”. given the land rovers have gone down the sloping roof as have jaguar i dont see that they bring anything extra accessabilitywise to the table. if they do get on then the complaint will be about eyewatering ap’s.

just look at the reaction when lots of mercedes appeared last month having been off for a while, you cant tell me that they offer anything extra in accessability i think people need to own up to there badge snobbery.

i know ive been guilty at times and even at the moment the cars i am looking at are headed by a mini countryman but it could be said a suzuki ignis could do the job or seat arona. and dare i say finance allowing i could be tempted by a bmw i3.

ok now i am going to have a bacon butty and put my tin hat on and wait for the incoming lol.

#86843 Reply

Winston

Who cares if someone chooses a car just because it has a premium badge? Good on them

For all you know that might be the only thing in their life that gives them a smile when they get behind the wheel, we didn’t get a choice being disabled but I think we’ve all earned the right to pick the car we want… Whatever the reasons behind it

It still is ( as far as I’m aware ) a free country where members of the scheme can pick what they want without having to justify it to anyone let alone fellow members

People are individual, they can choose what they like, can dress how they like, have their appearance how they like etc etc

Only thing that bothers me is the people who take the piss on the scheme or rather take the piss  out of the scheme, they are the ones giving it a bad name

Not for example wee Old Alan that decides F*** it I’m gonna treat myself to a new Merc or other premium brand

Good on him I say

Society now especially with social media can be a horrible bitter and uncaring place

Everyone feels the need to air their opinion and usually in negative way, people need to start minding their own business and getting on with their own lives

#86846 Reply

Philjb

I think the point was choosing a badge over what could be the better car?

I don’t care what anyone thinks if I choose an Audi or a Citroen, but I wouldn’t choose it just for the badge.

I need a car to suit my needs and not just to look at.

#86848 Reply

Winston

We all have our needs car wise, some needs are greater than others

But it’s up to the invidual what they pick and why

#86851 Reply

POPS

Who cares if someone chooses a car just because it has a premium badge? Good on them For all you know that might be the only thing in their life that gives them a smile when they get behind the wheel, we didn’t get a choice being disabled but I think we’ve all earned the right to pick the car we want… Whatever the reasons behind it It still is ( as far as I’m aware ) a free country where members of the scheme can pick what they want without having to justify it to anyone let alone fellow members People are individual, they can choose what they like, can dress how they like, have their appearance how they like etc etc Only thing that bothers me is the people who take the piss on the scheme or rather take the piss out of the scheme, they are the ones giving it a bad name Not for example wee Old Alan that decides F*** it I’m gonna treat myself to a new Merc or other premium brand Good on him I say Society now especially with social media can be a horrible bitter and uncaring place Everyone feels the need to air their opinion and usually in negative way, people need to start minding their own business and getting on with their own lives

Top post Winston.

#86855 Reply

Winston

Thanks pops ??

#86859 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

As macca stated in the Subaru thread. In order for a Brand to access the Scheme they must have a vehicle in their range with an OTR price below £24k.

This put pay to Subaru, Lexus and JLR in one wave of a pen.

It will be interesting to see what happens to BMW as the new 1 series starts at £24430, ruling them ineligible for the Scheme.

#86860 Reply

martino

AlanA , another rant from me ,  Littlejohns article was referring to BMW I think he was referring to all prestige cars jag merc  ect ,

I can not see what benefit anyone has achieved by removing cars and putting a cap on car prices on motability . why did they do it ?  , I think a lot of non disabled people like littlejohn  think that disabled  people have a great life with a free car, and they forget why we need a car and why we might need a larger car or wider car or an automatic or a Tesla (lol) to suit our disablity .

#86875 Reply

Macca

Well wmcforum, i did think from what Subaru had told me that there needed to be a vehicle in the manufacturers range that was below £24k OTR for them to be able to join the scheme.

Motability then advised however that in fact the £24k threshold applies to the specific model that the manufacturer wants to offer. But when i then looked across multiple manufacturers offering high cost/ spec suv’s there were multiple cases of the entry level versions of those cars exceeding that threshold.

So on the face of it, that explanation didn’t seem to make any sense.

I for one am none the wiser at all.

#86927 Reply

Macca

A prime example being the lowest priced spec of the Volvo XC40 is £28,965 i.e. some £4965 above the £24k threshold that Motability tell me is applicable to the model and NOT the whole range of the manufacturer’s vehicles.

Despite this, Volvo have multiple specs of XC40 listed on the scheme upto the T4 2.0 petrol AWD Inscription which has an OTR price of £35,435

…… yet Subaru can’t even get on the scheme with any if their vehicles.

Makes zero sense to me.

#87086 Reply

Belle

If your like me in pain 24/7 and have to under go ‘major open surgeries’ every couple of years for life and can’t work due to disability, why then shouldn’t I be able to have a luxury car to cheer me up in my painful circumstances for a short time during the day?! For ever how long I may have left to live..

Some of us are really very sick!

Al this talk of cap this and who deserves … if very depressing.

The scheme is for disabled people .

Meaning people who are not able to do anything .

#87087 Reply

Philjb

The reality is we can only choose from what’s available to us.

If you want to choose a premium badge to look at and it makes your day brighter then it’s your money and your choice.

Personally id rather drive then sit in doors and admire it on my drive.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
Reply To: JLR and Motability scheme

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: