It’s great how the forum has changed!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138389 Reply
    Brydo

I joined the forum a couple of years ago and brought the EV debate with me. I think its fair to say I was in a group of one for almost all the discussions. Gradually members doing their own research came round to the many benefits of EV’s.

I think its fair to say we now have a majority of EV v ICE contributor’s which is great to see.

The scheme is getting there, slowly, so let’s hope the trend continues and our topics continue to provide great info for all who visit the forum.

PS some of the anti EV members are still with us, you know who you are lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #138390 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

You can’t delay the inevitable 😉 I will probably get an EV in 3 years time.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#138394 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I personally don’t care what makes the wheels go around but I do care about what the wheels drive as we can’t all get by with 4 or 5 seat cars with room in the boot for a pair of wellies.

#138395 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I have made the first step changing from a diesel to a PHEV, my next step 5 kW south facing solar panels then a full electric car Nissan Leaf with it V2G to balance are use and the grid.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#138398 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Sounds like a great plan oscarmax.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#138402 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Brydo,

I am going to hold on to my Tiguan for up to another two years, I think,
    Especially as it has only done just under 18000 miles in 32 months ( never driven so few miles in any car ) and it also has quite a lot of useful kit ‘ on board’.

However, if the VW or Skoda EV ap’s come down during the two years then I shall ‘think again’?

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#138409 Reply
    NanasRob71
    Participant

Yes, it’s good to see progress.

I have my BMW i3s being delivered in March – ordered in October, and I’ve just been told it’s in the country now – can’t wait!

#138415 Reply
    Ellie
    Participant

My brother who has a 24kw Zoe got me interested in EV’s.  Talking to him about it I could see the advantages, and the disadvantages. Very economical, the short range is fine for their city driving and they can lamppost charge. But the bunny hopping on longer journeys is no fun. And the vehicle has a battery lease which adds to the costs.

But reading on the forums, listening to podcasts and watching YouTube videos I could see the advantages for our circumstances, plus the considerable environmental benefits.

We were looking at replacing our 10-year old car anyway and we were lucky that the Soul came up on Motability. I did look at getting a second-hand vehicle, but second-hand EVs are relatively expensive and the technology is improving quickly so it is not like buying a second-hand ICE car.

An EV isn’t right for everybody at the moment but I do think we are on the cusp of a sea change.  Price parity when it comes will be a big driver, and I don’t think you can grumble at the performance of EV’s they are very nippy.

I’m looking forward to choosing the next one in 3 years time, and all the information online makes it easier to keep up to date with what is being released.

Kia Soul 2020 EV

#138470 Reply
    Harry

Batteries? Small Range? Extremely Heavy Cars? Boooooo! ICE FTW 🙂

In 2030 im really hoping batteries going to be alot lighter! Been watching reviews of the ID4 and alot of reviewers are saying it feels extremely heavy. I mean surely that insane amount of weight is affecting the range quite a bit as well?

#138471 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Yes Harry they do, 2030 evs will look nothing like todays, well they will look much the same but battery tech will be completely different.

Many hundred miles on a charge and 5-10 minutes to charge.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#138472 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

It’s fair to say a few years ago many electric cars were not suitable for many with restrictive ranges and high purchase costs, now we are seeing better ranges and more charging points. Three years ago I would not have even considered an electric but I will look seriously between petrol and electric next year, particularly that it would be unusual to cover more than 100 miles in any one day. I recall when plasma TV replaced the traditional  CRT, they cost upwards of £5000, but the price fell rapidly and the technology improved.  I think I will need to see some significant advances in technology this year however, but AP will also be a key factor.

#138480 Reply
    Gunny

Really looking at EVs ,but Motability/RSA need to adapt for u25s. My 22yr old drives me about but only EVs available are a Seat Mii or Smart car (60 mile range) both not suitable.

#138482 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Agreed its an issue for under 25’s and 60 miles is too little. There are Hyundai & MG models with decent ranges, in my view  around 200 is acceptable. Would certainly want a proper test drive

#138499 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

In the upcoming summer (if we get one) there may be a problem when people all head out onto the roads in their EVs & all try to use the chargers at the same time, resulting in long queues. Please don’t lose hope with EVs when this occurs, because this will likely be an exceptional summer where people who would usually go abroad will stay in the UK, & many of these people have been buying EVs.

Other than that, 4000 rapid chargers & counting now in the UK, yes mainly in the south-east, but expanding rapidly elsewhere. How many of them are wheelchair friends is anyone’s guess.

Recently PlugShare appeared on Apple Carplay, everyone celebrated this momentous event, but then PlugShare was pulled from Carplay & hasn’t yet reappeared. ABRP is now on Carplay, this is a wonderful addition although there’s the subscription cost of nearly £50 a year to consider so the full version will only appeal to those of us who will make a lot of use of it, the rest will be using the 1 month free introductory offer (when we can go for a long drive again) that can be found in certain EV forums. Expect other third party charger location & navigation programs to appear.

Motability has no choice but to make sensible EVs available to under 25s, but currently it bases these things on insurance groups & EVs have been seen as risky because one once went on fire somewhere (along with the thousands of burning Vauxhall Zafiras). Keep pushing for decent EVs for under 25s, the Leaf, Zoe, the MGs, Corsa-e et al, ahould all be contenders, they may accelerate to 30mph very quickly indeed, but at higher speeds not so much as they’re heavy & speed limited. The Hyundai Kona 39kW may make it too but the Kona 64kW has over 200HP. Don’t expect the Tesla anytime soon.

#138702 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Having a lot of time on my hands, not sure why, I have immersed myself into the topic of electric cars and there are some good choices available at the moment. Range was always going to be an issue but with offerings from MG  & Citroen with 200+ and in particular Hyundai and Kia as high as 279 this is no longer an issue.  The AP’s are relatively high but in pre Brexit days I would spend typically £180 a month on petrol. Electric would be less than £50. Over 3 years a saving of  over £4500, more than enough to offset the AP.

#138705 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I because this will likely be an exceptional summer where people who would usually go abroad will stay in the UK, .

I was hoping that wouldn’t happen this year like it did last Summer when Magaluf came to the beaches of Dorset and that alone has put me off booking anything for this Summer.😢

#138706 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I can see this being a common scene this summer…

#138710 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Surely not much more different than running out of petrol in an ICE vehicle?

#138723 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’d have thought it was very different. Perhaps you missed the irony of an EV being recharged by a diesel generator towed by gas powered van.

#138726 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’d have thought it was very different. Perhaps you missed the irony of an EV being recharged by a diesel generator towed by gas powered van.

Did you go to the Alanis Morissette school of Irony?

#138728 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You’ll need to explain that one wmc. Beyond my knowledge…

#138731 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

That would be a coincidence then chum, not irony.

#138732 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yeah, I can see all three vehicles came together by co-incidence.  My point which was clearly lost is if holidaymakers who might otherwise have flown off to Magaluf etc head for the Dorset coast in their EVs they will have a hard time getting them recharged for their journey home, and we might be stuck with them!

#138734 Reply
    Brydo

Times are changing folks and yes we will see EV’s run out juice every now and then but what you won’t see is one breaking down due to a burst cylinder head gasket, broken timing belt, engine overheating, wrong fuel in the car etc etc etc.

#138736 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I must have been very lucky that none of those things have ever happened to me in over 50 years of car ownership.

#138737 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

The picture you posted is not ironic it is an electric car being charged by a generator – it’s also not the way a roadside recharge takes place in 2021. For the sake of the exercise and we assume that it is 1994 and the first Electric car in Romania has flat batteries, it would appear perfectly acceptable and indeed more sensible for the recovery company to use a trailer generator to give the car a quick boost of power to get them to the nearest charger.

In the same way that a black fly in your chardonnay, a free ride when you’ve already paid or even good advice that you just didn’t take are not irony – despite Alanis Morissette insisting they are in her 1995 global hit.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Reply #138776 in It’s great how the forum has changed!
Your information: