is your current car the best you’ve driven?

• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Lee Bengough.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #164780 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I drive a Volvo xc40 and its a decent car however I had a drive of my daughters land rover plug in hybrid and its streets ahead. In pure electric, ave 28 miles on a charge, its fantastic, smooth and responsive. In mixed its equally as good and the ride is way ahead of the Volvo not to mention the massive difference in braking.

The xc40 brakes are terrible in fact shocking.

So how do the various cars you’ve driven compare and I suppose more importantly are your more recent cars better?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164781 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

In many ways our XC40 T5 hybrid is the best we have driven, in that it suits Mrs W as well as it suits me, which hasn’t always been the case. The brakes are as good as any car I’ve had. I don’t know what’s wrong with yours Brydo. As for the Land Rover. You don’t say what model, but they are all in a different price bracket so I would hope you should appreciate the difference. But have you driven a hybrid XC40 as a comparison?

#164782 Reply
    struth
    Participant

My current car, A c-hr, is best equipped ive driven. my next one(qashqai) will be even better if it ever happens, lol.  Best car ive driven was probably my Dad’s XJ6 from late 70’s and new. He didnt like driving and i usually drove him about but when the xj appeared and he drove it, it was hard to prise the keys out of his hands lol. yup, a lovely motor in day although fuel economey was a nightmare.

#164783 Reply
    Newbie1892

This is my second motability car, and I wish I could take this sharan back, it drinks more than a petrol station has got, it’s sluggish, and the vw salesperson made me swap from diesel to petrol as they said I don’t do enough miles, well we were in lockdown and my 21 plate has already covered 8,000 miles, and so I hate it.

#164786 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Wigwam I think its an Evoque so not really “high end” and its way better than the xc40. I’ve had a drive in the xc40 plug in and it was fine. Ive had it in to the garage and they found nothing wrong, the mechanic indicted they have had a few in with similar problems.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#164788 Reply
    struth
    Participant

probably the best car i owned for driving was my Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0 TDI Auto  Laurin + Klement.. It was a beauty and a nice drive too.  My current one is pretty close and in sport mode and with the multi link rear suspension its super too. Sticks to rd like glue and is also good in snow

#164791 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i have the countryman and its pretty good i can at least get in and out and its practical and has knobs and buttons nothing touchy feely.

but the best i would have to say was a mk1 mr2 i had from new in germany really suited the autobahn lol.

#164793 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Brydo, just looked at the Evoque configurator.  It’s going to be £10k more expensive than the equivalent XC40 to buy.  So it is a step up. I’ve ridden in a diesel version on a 4 hour each way trip and it was very comfortable. Don’t like the look though, and just that bit too big for me.

Most comfortable car I’ve had a was a Jaguar S-type Sport with a 3 litre V6 petrol engine. Would never quite do 30mpg, except on a return trip from Somerset to Brussels when it remarkably managed 36.

#164794 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

That’s easy to explain. An Evoque is an incredibly cheaply and badly made car, fitted with a good interior. This isn’t “opinion”, you can look at every survey (for example, What Car reliability survey), and the Evoque particularly, and Range Rover generally, score dead last.

There’s nothing in an Evoque that can’t go wrong, starting from (common) gearbox and engine issues, electrical issues, suspension issues, leaking fuel tanks, etc pp. While i agree that it’s a nice place to be inside, i’d rather have 75% of that “niceness” and 500% more reliability.

Our current car (Ateca 1.5 DSG) is objectively the best car i’ve ever had – subjectively though, i “loved” my old E36 325i Coupe more. There’s just not much better (for “mortals” anyway) than a straight six. But that’s many moons ago, i wouldn’t want to miss all the niceties that our car has, that the BMW didn’t have 25 years ago.

#164802 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

Took the Kona Electric for a test drive and was absolutely blown away by it. Have had various Citroen/DS models between me, the wife and son, but the Kona is clearly the best.

#164805 Reply
    Daf

Without doubt the Kia Soul I have at present is the best I have had. I did have a Mercedes C class as a company car but to be honest it was not in the same class as the Soul. EVs in general are a country mile ahead of ice cars at present and with increased choice and competition I can only see the gap becoming wider.

#164807 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Current car is Mini 2-door hatch Cooper S. Ridiculously enjoyable to drive. Drawbacks are the chronic hard ride and stupid artificial engine vroomy noise. Best car ever driven was Nissan 200sx. Perfectly balanced, outrageously powerful and, being rear-drive with some 200bhp, really did through you back into your seat under acceleration. Wish I could have another one.

#164812 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Our new BMW X1 2.0i 4WD is the best Motability car we have had and we are very pleased with our choice. The only notable negative is the lack of Auto-hold. If we were re-ordering today we would get the same car and exact same spec and options.

It’s not the best car I have had though. That accolade goes to my privately owned 2015 BMW 5 series that I sold 18 months ago. In the good old days, my favourite was my Ford Granada Scorpio Cosworth. I’ve probably driven several hundred different cars from most manufacturers, including some very expensive ones, but the 5 Series remains my favourite.

#164817 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

The best car I’ve ever had was a top of the range Citroen C6. My current car a BMW 3 series is excellent and I’m afraid if premium cars like it will be a thing of the past on the scheme I’ll leave and go private for my next one.

#164819 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Current car is a 1.5 petrol manual Ateca Xcellence Lux.  Lots of nice things like heated windscreen, remote boot opening etc. but it’s incredibly bland/boring to drive.  Practicaly useless in any amount of snow, I certainly won’t have another one.

Best car I’ve had on Motability was a 2008 Honda CR-V, manual diesel, could drive it anywhere.  Kept it the full 5 years and then unfortunately got one of the 2nd gen Qashqai’s, that was probably the worst car I’ve had.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#164820 Reply
    Brydo

Elliot I think you are one of many considering their relationship with motability, myself included.

#164823 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The best car I’ve ever had was a top of the range Citroen C6. My current car a BMW 3 series is excellent and I’m afraid if premium cars like it will be a thing of the past on the scheme I’ll leave and go private for my next one.

Sadly, as you know, your excellent 3 Series already is a thing of the past. We need an SUV and the X1 was the only car on the scheme that ticked almost all our boxes and my preferences as a car lover and driver. If that disappears then unless something as good or better joins the scheme (unlikely in the current climate) then it will be our last Motability car. That being said, I will be almost 60 next time so approaching Volvo territory, so if the XC40 is still on the scheme that could be an option 😉.

Being serious for a moment, I was all for leaving the scheme this time around but my wife (the PIP holder) was keen that we remained (the usual ‘peace of mind’ argument, even though she knows from our experience of running Motability and private cars side by side that the cost benefits are at best marginal). However, even my wife now concedes that the choice is so poor now that the reasons to remain in the scheme will be much harder to argue next time.

#164825 Reply
    John Morris

Nicest to drive is our current DSG Ateca just for the ease of use but the most fun I had was in my brothers Brabus roadster. Tiny little 900cc engine but so much fun. Loved it

#164826 Reply
    Djw38uk

The best car I have enjoyed owning was a white Rover 75 estate 2.0d. I loved the wood/leather interior and wheel, the chain driven engine was bullet proof and it was a rare car, in fact I showed it at the NEC once.

Best car I have driven was an Audi A6 that was a “company” car. It was so quick when accelerating and (apparently, someone else was looking at speedo!) I topped 150mph in it. I appreciate it’s not a competition but it was amazing how easily it got there and how steady it was at that speed.

Best Motability car was a BMW 316d estate. I loved that car and wish it was still on the scheme, although in fairness I would struggle now with how low it is.

#164832 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Sadly, as you know, your excellent 3 Series already is a thing of the past. We need an SUV and the X1 was the only car on the scheme that ticked almost all our boxes and my preferences as a car lover and driver. If that disappears then unless something as good or better joins the scheme (unlikely in the current climate) then it will be our last Motability car. That being said, I will be almost 60 next time so approaching Volvo territory, so if the XC40 is still on the scheme that could be an option 😉. Being serious for a moment, I was all for leaving the scheme this time around but my wife (the PIP holder) was keen that we remained (the usual ‘peace of mind’ argument, even though she knows from our experience of running Motability and private cars side by side that the cost benefits are at best marginal). However, even my wife now concedes that the choice is so poor now that the reasons to remain in the scheme will be much harder to argue next time.

Already left the scheme at the end of last month, I was 18 months into the lease but the problems I had with my car couldn’t be resolved so I decided to go private before the used car market went truly insane, spent 8K on a used motor and got full RAC for £24 for the year (special offer) and with zero no claims bonus I managed to get fully comp insurance for £424 which will start my no claims again and will drop substantially next year.

In 3 years even with servicing and mot etc I’ll still be better off than the cost of the scheme, no, I won’t be driving a new car but once you drive a car off the forecourt it stops being new anyway.

Also got a high spec car that I couldn’t get on the scheme especially now.

Best car was a Lotus Carlton, Super luxury in a 186mph rocket.

#164833 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Best car so far on the scheme is my present BMW X1 2.0d Xdrive. It’s eveything I need at the moment, powerful, comfortable, and enough space for us.

With the lack of choice at present, like the rest of the comments i can’t see what I can replace it with so we have been thinking about coming off the scheme. I’ve extended for 2 years I just hope it gets better.

Best car I’ve owned was a 2009 range rover.

#164835 Reply
    Georgie

Best was the second Audi TT – a TTS in all but name due to optional extras, but sat about an inch higher off the ground, which was essential due to the sharp angle of the drop from the road onto the drive.  Bright blue (Sprint?  Sepang?) 240 bhp, flappy paddle gear box.

#164836 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Is my current car the best? oh, not at all, its a compromise as a lot of scheme cars are.

Best ever…well, I did love driving my Dads Chrysler Valiant Charger R/T – his company car, 4.3 V6, but making 302hp in the mid 70’s – a power not surpassed by a 6 cylinder engine till the release of the 911 turbo. Big comfy bucket seats, 4 speed manual, lots of fun driving that to pick up my girlfriend when I was 16. Had to have it home by 11pm and had to watch wheelspin as he’d check the tyres.

My own cars? Vauxhall Carlton 2.6 was lovely as was my Volvo V70. Never really had lots of cash to throw at cars, as I was too busy spending it on motorcycles…lol. The car was transport – I did prefer big displacement and big cars, but the bikes were my speed and power hit, cars were for comfort.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#164846 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Best car so far on the scheme is my present BMW X1 2.0d Xdrive. It’s eveything I need at the moment, powerful, comfortable, and enough space for us. With the lack of choice at present, like the rest of the comments i can’t see what I can replace it with so we have been thinking about coming off the scheme. I’ve extended for 2 years I just hope it gets better. Best car I’ve owned was a 2009 range rover.

I’ve had a number of BMW’s with the 20d engine and it’s brilliant, but the 20i xDrive X1 (still available on Motability as we speak) is surprisingly economical. I’ve just done a 100 mile journey on motorway and A roads and kept the cruise control at just 65mph to conserve fuel (I predict major fuel shortages as everyone is now panic buying) and couldn’t believe that I got 52.3mpg. Quite incredible for a nippy petrol 4WD!

#164863 Reply
    Lee Bengough

Yeah no doubt my 2021 CItroën C4 1.2 155 EAT8 Shine Plus is the best I’ve ever had.

I’ll always have a soft spot for my 2005 CItroën C3 1.6i 16v Exclusive SensoDrive as it was my first ever car and also my 2014 C3 Picasso 1.6 VTi 120 Exclusive EGS6 I have a soft spot for that car too but this car is something else.

it’s lovely to drive super comfy great powerful engine.

Now my late brothers cars his 2010 C4 Picasso 2.0HDi 138 EGS6 I loved that car. I called it the tank towed my sisters Saxo with it like it was nothing.

When he had his last car before he passed away 2013 C4 1.6eHDi 115 Exclusive EGS6 he said it was the best car he ever had.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: is your current car the best you’ve driven?
Your information: