Is EV “regen” an art form lol.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #176226 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive spoken to a few EV drivers recently and a topic that came up a lot was regen. Some actually plan their route to make use of regen down hills etc, then there’s those who like to “coast”. Its amazing how far people will go to save a few bob, me included, lol, but how do you make the most of “regen”?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #176230 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

My car only has one level of regen and it’s called “B mode” go figure. But it’s not the art of regen that I enjoy it’s the art of never using the brakes, getting better and better I can travel 30 plus miles now never touching the brake so I have these wonderful shiny discs. I do think it makes for a more responsible thinking ahead type of drive too.

#176236 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i usually have mine at full(3) and in eco and am just careful how much i release the throttle if i only want a little. but when you get used to 3, you can work it so you rarely have to touch brakes, which has to be good for air quality as brake dust is one of the biggest ev polluters.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#176240 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Much do you recon you put back in the battery guys?

#176248 Reply
    struth
    Participant

much epends on type of driving. if all moterway type then not so much but on an average drive on a, b and town work im averaging a third back of what i use, but can be more.

#176249 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

That’s impressive struth.

#176251 Reply
    Ian

30 min commute to work challenge myself not to touch the brake once and get 5 stars on the efficient driving score.

Very easy to get excited and get 0 stars tho. Big smile earned tho.

#176253 Reply
    struth
    Participant

#176260 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

Struth, is that 4.52 consumed despite regening 2.1 so if  you had zero regen you’d have consumed  6.62? If so then it certainly highlights the importance of researching the regen capabilities of your prospective vehicle as well as it’s other strengths and weaknesses.

#176267 Reply
    struth
    Participant

no im sure the regen is extra put back, .. in one i have here, i drove 13.04 miles, and used total of 3.28 kwh, which comes out at 4.01 aprox miles per kwh in the sums plus i also regen-ed 1.49 kwh of energy back to battery.

in the calcs it gives for total use at that time was 134 miles, with en consumption of 33.57kwh giving an average usage as 4.01, which is about same.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Reply #176251 in Is EV “regen” an art form lol.
Your information: