Interesting ‘stuff’

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159722 Reply
    Georgie

I thought it might be a good idea if I bit the bullet and just started a Thread dedicated to (what I hope is) general ‘Interesting Stuff’ that doesn’t fit under other existing Threads, rather than keep hijacking the existing ones (as I am want to do at an appalling rate.  Sorry).

Fulfilling an earlier promise, here is a quick bit of poetry first:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
    the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

(‘Whales Weep Not’ by D. H. Lawrence)

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR1RK4skwk7tIXw9XocFTkOWblwAYftXvy2YbXVfngsgF8H-qPqiGzRXOwM

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169255 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Thanks for the tip about button on stalk, Rene. Will go in search of it. Driver’s manual is pretty useless. Have to use touch screen at the moment which I will not use while under way.

Yeah that’s what we did, faffing about in the menus until we found it, took a fair few seconds. After that, i saw a video about it and on our second test drive, after doing it once it was already second nature.

In this video, at 12:32.

Have a look if your car has it too, this is in a GTI, but the GTE has it too (as i said, we checked on second test drive).

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#169256 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Snaps… going to do them in sections so files size doesn’t strain WMC software. First, the boot/rear end. Apologies for smudgy bits on pics. Drizzle on lens causing lens-flare shooting into sun. Too late/dark to shoot again. Sorry

Plenty of room in boot. And even more when lifting floor…

Can pack plenty of stuff under floor where the (optional) small spare would live if I’d ordered it. The electric tyre inflator is standard. Nice surprise since it wasn’t mentioned anywhere. Ridiculous that this is free whereas you have to pay extra for lumbar support on front seats!

#169257 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

In addition to the video prior to your post, if you don’t have the MIB3 infotainment system (i actually don’t know) – we have the older MIB2 infotainment in our Ateca, and i remember that we have a button on a stalk to get into the driving assists as well (on the speedo-screen).

Since in the Ateca lane assist isn’t always on, i’ve forgotten already – it’s either at the end of the indicator stalk like in the GTE, or it’s at the end of the lower left stalk (the cruise control stalk, if you have one). There definitely is a shortcut on one of the stalks to get into the assist menu on the speedo-screen.

#169258 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cabin rear – not a lot  of room with front seats right back. No worries for us since very rarely have rear-seat passengers…

Front seats, complete with “funky young-person stripes”. Taken together with the chunky exterior its makes the car feel like a Tonka toy styled by a car-mad 11-year-old. Again, don’t care. Seats look silly and inadequate but are really very comfy.

#169259 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Screens and stuff… seem fairly easy to understand/use but would still prefer switches and buttons…

#169261 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Brilliant, Rene. Thanks for that. Will watch in full as soon as. Right now, a chap’s Big Veggie Stew needs attention. Will let you know how I get on…

#169263 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Here’s how it works in the Tiguan Mk2 and T-Cross.

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/threads/turn-off-lane-assist.7806/

Post #5.

So your shortcut might not be on the stalk, but on the steering wheel, looking at your interior (which is 1-1 the same as in our Ateca) you’d need to follow this, rather than the video i linked. The video is for their next generation infotainment, in the Golf 8s etc.

Enjoy your stew, we just had spiced cauliflower with spinach and tamarind dal. I love Gousto.

#169277 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, Rene. Will try it tomorrow – when I can sit in front of the wheel and see exactly what the buttons are and what they seem to do.

Veggie stew was as good as ever; simmered gently for three hours, spiced to within an inch of its life and “enhanced” with chorizo and some bratwurst. Okay, so it’s not really veggie! 😉

#169278 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I’m german.

Bratwurst goes with everything – for germans, meat is the favourite vegetable. One of the most favourite breakfast food is raw pork (Mett on Broetchen/bread roll, called Mettbroetchen).

I entirely understand why a vegetable stew needs Bratwurst. And, Maggi (liquid seasoning), although not that easy to come by over here 🙁

#169281 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I am never without a bottle of Maggi on my oils and marinade shelf. Used generously in stew. Totally agree about bratwurst or currywurst or any of the others. Always have a selection in freezer (and frikadellen too) and use ’em regularly. Mrs T is half Austrian so I have picked up a few dish ideas. We really like my own wiener schnitzel and special occasions merit a Sachetorte. It is a complicated beast to make but, oooh, it is well liked. Death by chocolate!

“Meat is the favourite vegetable” …love it! 🍔

#169283 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Berliner Currywurst is the only good thing about Berlin nowadays, if you can find one of the “old-school” shops. Frikadellen are great, especially as Frikadellenbroetchen (bread roll).

Love Wiener Schnitzel (and Knödl Gröstl, ask your wife – it’s fried dumplings with bacon and cheese etc, very homely austrian dish), but favour a Schwarzwaldtorte (Black Forest Gateau) over a Sachertorte myself. Admittedly, even as someone who worked for a Konditor (“sweet bakery”) for two years, it’s.. a struggle to make it myself lol. Tried twice, both tasted decent enough but nowadays i just buy it.

If you’re into baking, give “Baumkuchen” a shot. It’s a bit complicated to do at home (it’s usually baked on a kind of spit), but absolutely worth it.

#169322 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

All of those ideas sound great, Rene. The Baumkuchen looks and sounds a treat. May try it. Looks simpler than the Sachertorte. BTW, you say you can buy your Sachertorte – where? Only source I’ve seen is incredibly expensive import from Vienna. Buy most of my wurst from The Sausage Man. He has some cakes but not this one! One wurst I really like is the cheese Kasekrainer. Difficult to get sometimes.

Regret I’ve never been to Germany or Austria. We were dues to go to the latter (St Wolfgang, right on the lake) in March last year and we all know what happened then! Hope we may get there sometime, obviously not right now.

#169324 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Okay then, @Georgie – the Velorex is “Henry” and living comfortably in the stable. What’ll you name this piece of oddity and where to keep it?

1954 Paul Vallee, three-wheeler from France. Looks like something escaped from In the Night Garden. Ninky nonk’s secret love-child after a daring liaison with original Invacar?

#169326 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

All of those ideas sound great, Rene. The Baumkuchen looks and sounds a treat. May try it. Looks simpler than the Sachertorte. BTW, you say you can buy your Sachertorte – where? Only source I’ve seen is incredibly expensive import from Vienna. Buy most of my wurst from The Sausage Man. He has some cakes but not this one! One wurst I really like is the cheese Kasekrainer. Difficult to get sometimes. Regret I’ve never been to Germany or Austria. We were dues to go to the latter (St Wolfgang, right on the lake) in March last year and we all know what happened then! Hope we may get there sometime, obviously not right now.

I meant, we buy the Black Forest Gateau – and yeah, for Sachertorte i can only find an almost £30 example, from either austria or italy. Baumkuchen isn’t actually that hard to make or expensive in ingredients, it’s just tedious. A really good one has around 30 layers, each one baked seperately, then coated, then another layer added and baked. At a minimum 15 layers. Kaesekrainer are lovely, enjoy them very much – as well as a Krakauer sausage.

Both countries are worth visiting in the right places, imo. You certainly should if we ever get the opportunity to travel again sigh.

Okay then, @Georgie – the Velorex is “Henry” and living comfortably in the stable. What’ll you name this piece of oddity and where to keep it?

Of course you’d call it either Jean-Paul or Jean-Pierre.

#169329 Reply
    Georgie

Neville.  He and his teddy bear, Etienne, will live in the stable with Henry.  They can be stablemates and then they’ll never feel lonely.  I think Henry looks pretty responsible and I’m sure he’ll look out for Neville.

#169342 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well, Neville will have to persuade Etienne to leave the Fiat first! 🧸

#169345 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Now I was going to suggest that Georgie only wanted Henry so she could change his dull leather body for a pink patent leather and jack up the rear with 6inch heels. However, why bother…

#169347 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Meanwhile, back in NewCar Land… thanks, Rene. The steering wheel button route works perfectly. Moreover, can turn off the auto-broking and stop/start in the same way, at the same time. Next search is for screen-free way to turn off the squidgy traction control and engage the sport setting.

Another question… the computer sez it wants me to download new software. It that safe? Only reason  is that whenever I do this with Windows, it ends up with something not working. How long does it take?

#169350 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The Ateca doesn’t have OTA updates, so i can’t tell. We had to bring the car in for a software update. I’d assume it’s safe, the ID3 gets got quite a few and that went fine according to their forums.

Traction control might be difficult. Even in the newer Infotainment system and in “hot” cars (GTI and GTE) it’s buried in the menus – you can create a shortcut to the main screen in these two, which still requires you to faff about with the screen (we did, since launch control only works with ESC off/ESC in sport mode in the GTE), i don’t know of any way in an MIB2 system other than blurbling about in the menu.

I’m not sure if by “sport setting” you refer to the ESC, if you mean generally “sport”, you just put the car normal in drive, and tap the gear selector backwards. It then goes from D to S without menu or the stupid puck selector.

#169353 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

The ESC in the T-ROC seems to have three setting: ON. On in Sport mode and OFF (for very Sport mode). In the Superbs, and the Mini, switching these functions was done on a button. The T-ROC R variant has it on a button, but not the SEL. Hmmph! Will continue looking and poking things till I find an answer.

With the update, I think I’ll leave it until I’m sure I won’t need the car to go anywhere and try it. I expect complications – just took me nearly 45 minutes to enter myself as a driver. VW software lost details three times and had to start again from beginning. Reckon I’ll check the T-ROC forum before starting.

#169354 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

That’s probably the best way to go about it.

I know that in the Golfs you need to confirm that you want the ESC off – i’m not sure if you’ll find a single button press. I think that got changed recently (the Golf 7.5 GTE/GTI had a button in the centre console, the 8 needs confirmation), so i would assume that you’re out of luck there.

But, i can’t say for sure of course. I haven’t had the need to turn it off either way, and i don’t think there’s many situations in the GTE where it’d become necessary for us either. Especially in your case with AWD, it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

Good luck either way though, at least you got the annoying driving help crap sorted.

#169355 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Very true, with the 4×4 acting as a grown-up LSD I’ll probably not need it. I used to use it once in a while on the Mini, just for fun. Need to see how it affects handling before devising best way to handle it.

#169527 Reply
    ajn

Congrats on the new motor tharg 👍

#169555 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, ajn. Getting to like the Red Monster. After the Mini’s brick-based suspension, this beast is like riding on a magic carpet. Can be prompt when asked too… 🚗😊

#169563 Reply
    ajn

Great stuff..

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 181 total)
Reply To: Interesting ‘stuff’
Your information: