Indicators

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

A pet hate of mine is those cars with indicators hidden in the inside of the headlight cluster.  You can see a little indicator in the day time but once the lights are on, there seriously isn’t any point in indicating at all.

However, the Ioniq 5 has just about the most powerful indicators I’ve seen since the days of Volvo having huge indicators on the front corners.

Am I alone in this pet hate?  Has anyone seen better indicators than the double ‘U’ the bottom halves of the daytime ‘Pixels’?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kye
      Participant

I’ve noticed that many new cars with LED headlights have daytime running lights or dipped beams that either turn off completely or dim down to highlight the indicators. On our Mazda CX-60, the indicators are integrated into the daytime running light. When we indicate, these turn off, and the bright orange light pulses. This can be seen more clearly at night on street signs where the orange reflection is brighter than our extremely bright Matrix LED lights. In contrast, older-style cars have indicators that are difficult to see.

Ioniq
        Participant

Yeah, an some cars like Mercedes, Audi and BMW, dont even have indicators fitted…at all.

Its like you know what BMW stands for dontcha??

BMW= Bald Mans Wheels. Dem is such a rage they dont need  indicators.

MFillingham
          Participant

I’ve noticed that many new cars with LED headlights have daytime running lights or dipped beams that either turn off completely or dim down to highlight the indicators. On our Mazda CX-60, the indicators are integrated into the daytime running light. When we indicate, these turn off, and the bright orange light pulses. This can be seen more clearly at night on street signs where the orange reflection is brighter than our extremely bright Matrix LED lights. In contrast, older-style cars have indicators that are difficult to see.

Yes, I noticed the other night that mine was reflecting off road signs even with my headlights on.  What worried me more was that I also noticed the reflection off mine as I started indicating at the back of a rather lengthy queue of cars, all with lights on, some even indicating themselves.

@Ioniq
            , I’m not getting into the fitted but never used discussion.  There’s far too many to offend with that one.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

joss

It’s the same on my Peugeot 308 GT Premium, The day light goes out and bright indicator flashes down the strip, separate from head lights.

Joss
              Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Participant

I wouldn’t worry about indicators seeming brighter than headlamps to the driver because of sign reflection. Got to remember that headlamps are focused to illuminate a specific area while indicators are supposed to be seen from any angle/direction

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

ChrisK
                Participant

It’s not a problem around these parts as folk can’t use the indicators while holding the steering wheel in one hand and the phone in the other and sort of explains why there are traffic jams when there’s not a lot of traffic.  ???

MFillingham
                  Participant

I wouldn’t worry about indicators seeming brighter than headlamps to the driver because of sign reflection. Got to remember that headlamps are focused to illuminate a specific area while indicators are supposed to be seen from any angle/direction

Yes, I wasn’t particularly worried by the reflection other than when I was 4th or 5th in a queue and my indicator was still shining brightest.  Then on the home trip there was a small Ford with a little orange blip on the inside of the headlight that I simply missed as I passed it.

It’s not a problem around these parts as folk can’t use the indicators while holding the steering wheel in one hand and the phone in the other and sort of explains why there are traffic jams when there’s not a lot of traffic. ???

. I guess you got bigger problems than whether someone decides to let you know where they might be going.

It does seem that the LED options have given the manufacturer’s a great opportunity to have small lights that are much brighter.  I still like the progressive lights, as started by the likes of Audi and the front indicator on the Ariya that starts at the bottom of that huge LED strip and works up and across the front.

Mark

vinnym70
                    Participant

Yeah, an some cars like Mercedes, Audi and BMW, dont even have indicators fitted…at all. Its like you know what BMW stands for dontcha?? BMW= Bald Mans Wheels. Dem is such a rage they dont need indicators.

Strangely enough, it seems indicator-less Merc, Audi and BMW owners are now being replaced by……

TESLA OWNERS

(Assume no Tesla owners here so no offence caused!)

MFillingham
                      Participant
                        Strangely enough, it seems indicator-less Merc, Audi and BMW owners are now being replaced by……
                        TESLA OWNERS (Assume no Tesla owners here so no offence caused!)
                        I nearly feinted on Wednesday as I was let out of junctions twice in one trip by Tesla drivers, one a Model S one looked like the Y.

Mark

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.