In UK, 79% Of Drivers Could Charge An Electric Car Just Once Every Week Or Two

• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #137488 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

@wmcforum, i apologies in advance for the size of this thread, feel free to delete it if its a problem.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137490 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

No problem, interesting read.

#137494 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

If I we’re them I’d keep quite on low EV taxes because as we all know the chancellor is looking at raising many taxes to grab back the half a billion he’s lent the passed year and although the government wants us all electric they won’t want to pay for it and as you have no choice after 2030 they don’t need to encourage us.

There will be no excuses or complaints to putting taxes on EV’s however they manage it when their likely to freeze disability benefits amongst others things over the next few years and while those few years pass us by we get closer and closer to 2030.

#137497 Reply
    Littledave

Interesting. Seems to indicate that EVs only appeal to people who make very sort journeys each time.

#137499 Reply
    Brydo

Which, the article suggests is 79% of the public, myself included.

#137519 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Have I missed something?  So EVs, which don’t go very far, appeal to people who don’t go very far. Who knew?

#137547 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

i think people are coming around to the idea that EVs are not just for town driving. Awareness is now growing and i think we will see sales increase over the next few years but i still think the biggest hurdle is the price.

Another great post BTW Brydo.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Stuart.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#137551 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

*Great post, Brydo. Must agree with Wigwam in that the author must have done degree in Blindingly Bleedin’ Obvious: short-range cars appeal to drivers doing short journeys.

Also interesting to hear about this “salary sacrifice car” lark, performed by a “car benefits company” (Tusker). Never come across this stuff before. Seems to be a way for employees to avoid paying a bit of tax if they buy a new car on scheme. Tusker claims to be running the service inside the NHS which seems a bit odd. Why would a government organisation conspire with a private company to stop that government earing tax revenue? To stimulate vehicle sales? If it is, then it is doing exactly the opposite of PIP .

#137553 Reply
    72 dudes

Interesting if slightly obvious.

What the report fails to consider is that many people who only drive locally may sometimes have to make a longer journey on the spur of the moment.

Imagine telling a loved one or a close friend 50 miles away with a family emergency “Yes I’ll be there…. Oh hang on, is tomorrow okay? By the way, can I use your electric supply for 12 hours while I’m there”?

Flippant maybe, but it’s the forward planning needed with an EV which may still put some people off.

#137555 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Interesting if slightly obvious. What the report fails to consider is that many people who only drive locally may sometimes have to make a longer journey on the spur of the moment. Imagine telling a loved one or a close friend 50 miles away with a family emergency “Yes I’ll be there…. Oh hang on, is tomorrow okay? By the way, can I use your electric supply for 12 hours while I’m there”? Flippant maybe, but it’s the forward planning needed with an EV which may still put some people off.

You make a semi fare point, but most towns have a rapid charger, so worst case it’s an hour delay, and in the example you give, I’m CERTAIN no family member would object to you plugging your car in to react to a family emergency… If they did, I, personally would probably not going out of my way to help!

But your main point is 100% spot on, EV’s will require more thought being applied to journey planning, maybe that’s a good thing?

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury

#137557 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

it is a master class in stating the obvious but sometimes it needs saying.

i had a look at my driving over the last 4 years and i can only recall one journey over 75 miles one way. to visit relatives in great yarmouth for a family do. so even that would be acheivable if an electric car had a 150 mile range the hotel i stayed in had charge points so no inconveniance.

even pre lockdown  i reckon one charge a week would do if the car had 150 range.

#137574 Reply
    Littledave

No, only 79% of the EV owning public.

#137576 Reply
    Brydo

I stand corrected Dave.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: In UK, 79% Of Drivers Could Charge An Electric Car Just Once Every Week Or Two
Your information: