‘If you don’t believe in the electric car yet, you soon will’

This topic contains 245 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 1 day, 10 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #60038 Reply

Brydo

Electric cars are the future of motoring, and they’ll soon be impossible for consumers to ignore, says Steve Fowler…

This is when the electric car starts to get really serious. This week Mercedes has revealed its first, bespoke, all-electric car to the world and later this month, Audi does the same. Rest assured, it’s not stopping there.

It all comes hot on the heels of Jaguar getting its I-Pace to customers before its rivals – and winning our Car of the Year prize in the process – and Hyundai launching an affordable all-electric small SUV with a real-world range of 300 miles.

Of course, cars like the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe and Tesla Models S and X have been with us for a while, but it’s going to take more mainstream and premium brands to come to the party to make wary buyers really sit up and take notice.

The biggest barrier to EV ownership remains range – unfairly so, these days. The perception of ‘under 100 miles’ will soon change as closer to 300 miles becomes the new norm, while interest will increase as more and more appealing (if not particular attractive) cars like the EQC are launched.

Mercedes is going at it with real gusto – EQ is set to become a Mercedes brand in the same way AMG and Maybach are. EQ stands for ‘electric intelligence’ (yes, that’s what I thought, too). It also stands for a range of electrified models that’ll line up against rivals from every other maker in the coming years.

In spite of all that, every time I sing the praises of electric cars, my inbox chimes with messages from people who say they’ll never provide the fun we get from internal combustion-engined cars!

To those people I say simply: go and try one. We had a similar situation 20 years ago with diesel. Once we’d experienced it – and seen the benefits – we were hooked. That’s the same with an EV; it’s hard not to be impressed and excited once you’ve had a go.

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #66241 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New 2020 MINI electric to arrive on brand’s 60th birthday

Our exclusive images preview the look of the new MINI electric hatch, while the model has also been spied testing in Austria
    MINI will mark its 60th anniversary next year by launching the most radical model in its history: the MINI electric.

It will be the brand’s first mass-produced EV following a trial of 600 MINI Es back in 2007, and will launch next summer ahead of customers taking delivery in early 2020. Crucially, it will also be one of the first premium, small EV hatchbacks on sale. It will sit above the likes of the Renault ZOE when it arrives, ahead of Volkswagen’s eagerly anticipated I.D. hatchback.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/100275/all-electric-mini-spied-for-first-time-ahead-of-2019-release

#66275 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Introducing autonomous vehicles will increase congestion before reducing it

Autonomous vehicles could initially lead to increased congestion, according to a new study by Arthur D Little (ADL).

Real-world simulation analysis by ADL demonstrates that switching to totally autonomous vehicles significantly reduces urban congestion by a factor of 10, but that mixing human and robot drivers together will increase traffic jams by over 16%.

The micro-simulation was based on a major intersection in Frankfurt. The five-lane highway includes two lanes turning left and one to the right, has a 80km/h speed limit, and is controlled by a traffic light. The simulation measured the impact of three scenarios on traffic within the two central lanes – 100% human drivers, a 50/50 split of human and robot drivers, and 100% autonomous vehicles with adapted traffic rules.

Forty-three vehicles would pass through each green phase of the intersection’s traffic light with 100% human drivers. This actually drops 16% to 36 vehicles with an equal mix of human and autonomous drivers, increasing congestion. This is mainly due to autonomous vehicles fully obeying the law and not taking risks when moving between lanes, unlike real-world human drivers.

In contrast, 506 vehicles pass through the light when switching to 100% autonomous vehicles and adopting optimized traffic rules, including reduced 2.5m distances between cars, allowing platooning, and a higher 90 km/h speed limit. This is feasible given that autonomous vehicles can react faster than human drivers to changing situations, avoiding sudden, hard braking and reducing accidents.

“Higher demand for mobility and greater urbanization are making congestion a growing issue within the world’s cities. Our micro-simulation found that while fully autonomous vehicles would solve this problem, the initial scenario we are likely to see, with a mix of robot and human drivers actually leads to greater traffic jams. Things would get worse before they get better. Clearly switching to 100% autonomous vehicles and changing traffic rules would require radical, disruptive action, posing serious questions for cities and society. Our work therefore aims to provide a starting point for further research and wider discussion, ahead of the future introduction of autonomous vehicles,” said Dr. Klaus Schmitz, partner at ADL.

The simulation was based on the Intelligent Driver model and was developed in conjunction with the University of Mannheim.

#66314 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I would hope that at least three of these EV`s will be on the scheme 2019 so have a read to see if any take your fancy.

Nissan Leaf vs BMW i3 vs VW e-Golf vs Renault ZOE

A lot has changed in the EV world since the first Nissan Leaf arrived. We try the Mk2 against the BMW i3, Volkswagen e-Golf and Renault ZOE
    When the original Nissan Leaf appeared in 2010, it set a new standard for electric vehicles with its range and everyday usability. Now it’s time for the Leaf Mk2 to build on those abilities by offering an even longer range and the kind of driver assistance that marks the next step towards autonomous vehicles.

The original Leaf was an EV pioneer, but the second generation will have to stand out among a host of new models in the class. For this test, we put the Leaf up against three EV rivals that show how the sector has changed since the original landed in showrooms. First up is the BMW i3. Along with the i8 supercar, it’s a showcase for BMW’s cutting-edge EV tech, while a recent update boosted the car’s range and added the sportier i3s to the line-up, too.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/leaf/103136/nissan-leaf-vs-bmw-i3-vs-vw-e-golf-vs-renault-zoe

#66316 Reply

Trev

Leaf & Zoe yes

i3 & e-golf no

Reason being for those 2 manufacturers can’t keep up for demand for retail sales at this time.

This leads to a worrying point, as ev sales in the retail sector soar, manufacturers see no need to add pressure on the production line by putting these cars on the scheme, instead opting to using the scheme as a dumping ground for the declining diesel vehicles… just a thought.

Whilst I am a moderator on the forum, the views I share are my own.

#66322 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Valid points Trev but we have got to hope that Motability have enough sway with the manufacturers to get a fair share for us their customers. However Motability haven’t put the Leaf on the scheme and there isn’t a major supply problem with it.

I appreciate there must be a reason there are few evs on the scheme, I just wish I knew what it was.

#66323 Reply

Trev

It is a conundrum Brydo, as we know the leaf has been on the scheme before – but as to the reason of it’s withdrawal and non-reappearance we just don’t know. But surely it must be back soon, i mean they’ve even added the applicable filters to the search engine – most promising sign we’ve had to date.

#66328 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Trev we already have an electric car on the scheme, Smart forfour and Smart fortwo, so the change maybe for this car only.

#66331 Reply

Trev

I’m not so sure, as i say the leaf had been on before with no change. Motability’s search engine is one of low priority when it comes to maintenance, as we’ve seen with the many cars in incorrect categories.

#66333 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

This would help, Trev.

New Evoque to offer electric option in 2020
    The Evoque PHEV could have as much as 30 miles electric range
    Range Rover has announced the launch of the second generation Evoque, the highly successful compact SUV that has sold more than 700,000 vehicles world-wide.

In addition to petrol and diesel options which will be available from April 2019, the model line-up will also include a 48 volt mild-hybrid version and, by 2020, a plug-in hybrid power train, bringing part-electrification to the range.

The PHEV variant will combine a 147 kW 1.5 litre combustion engine with an 80 kW electric motor with energy stored in a 11.3 kWh lithium-ion battery. While no tech-spec have been published, this could give the Evoque PHEV around 30 miles on electric-only power.

The intention is that both the mild and plug-in hybrid models would be able to utilise regenerative braking to capture most of the kinetic energy during deceleration, converting it electricity and recharging the battery. Other models have shown that this can improve efficiency, and therefore range, by around 20%.

The new Evoque will have a larger trunk volume and more leg room for rear passengers. Plus all new model variants will use the second generation Premium Transversale architecture (PTA) which was designed to combine both conventional and new energy formats under the same design.

Nick Rogers, Executive Director, Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover, said: “Underneath the skin is an engineering and technical revolution. The architecture is all-new to accommodate both plug-in and mild hybrid systems… The new chassis makes the most of the stiffer body, ensuring the characteristic ride comfort and refinement of a Range Rover.

“Evoque is now smarter than ever. The software that sits behind our infotainment system has been refined to provide a more intuitive customer experience. On top of that, we’ve added Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for seamless smartphone integration.” Tech firsts include a rear-view mirror that turns into an HD screen displaying a camera feed of what’s behind the vehicle.

According to other media reports, sister company Jaguar is considering an electric version of the F-type sports car. The market launch could be done by 2021, which would also coincide with the next generation of the vehicle.

The new petrol and diesel Range Rover Evoque is available to order now and is priced from £31,600 in the UK.

#66334 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Or this

2019 Kia e-Niro: Everything You Need To Know

This short video hits all the right talking points for the upcoming Kia Niro EV (e-Niro).
    As the U.S. launch of the 2019 Kia e-Niro draws near, we are seeing an influx of new reviews and videos. While some people love our video coverage, others don’t have time to watch or simply can’t view videos due to their internet connection, location, situation, etc. Every once in a while, we come across a nice, concise video that covers all the right bases in a quick and efficient manner. NewMotoring has achieved just that, and its Kia Niro EV overview video share is worth a look.

2019 Kia e-Niro: Everything You Need To Know

#66336 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Nissan Leaf production is flat out, best selling car in Norway (as petrol/diesel is taxed so heavily). The rest of Europe seem quicker to adapt to the Electric car. Our messy charging infrastructure is holding the electric car back massively.

#66338 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

wmc just by the response of some of our posters its easy to see why the uptake of evs in this country is very slow.

Plugging our website the link below shows some of the Hybrids on the scheme

Electric, PHEV and Hybrids

#66354 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

VW e-up! prices slashed as more kit becomes standard
    A price cut and additional equipment boosts appeal of Volkswagen e-up! city car

Last Updated: 27 Nov 2018 tweet

Volkswagen has slashed the price of its e-up! by almost £3,000, taking it down to £23,115. The price tumbles further, to £19,615, after the government’s Plug-In Car Grant has been applied.

The price reduction coincides with a raft of equipment now fitted as standard. This includes a rear-view camera, a height-adjustable driver’s seat and a new seat upholstery design.

Volkswagen says the price cut, plus the extra kit totals a saving of £3,250, and goes some way to addressing one of the key criticisms of the Volkswagen e-up!.

Joe Laurence, Volkswagen UK’s electric vehicles product manager, said: “The e-up! is a key part of our electric vehicle family, offering the ideal solution for zero tailpipe-emission urban motoring.

“For 2019, we’re offering customers even more value with the addition of several extra features to the e-up! as standard, as well as a major price realignment making the car even more affordable. This is, of course, on top of the tax and fuel cost savings which are built into the e-up!.”

Mechanically, the 2019 Volkswagen e-up! is unchanged, with a 18.7kWh battery pack delivering an electric driving range of 83 miles under the latest economy testing framework.

It takes six hours to charge from a 3.6kWh wall box, and can reach an 80% charge in 30 minutes from a rapid charger.

#66395 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New Toyota Prius AWD-i revealed in LA

Toyota has launched a new version of its Prius at the Los Angeles Auto Show today (Wednesday 28th November), with the popular hybrid receiving styling tweaks and a new all-wheel drive powertrain.

Fitted with an additional electric motor on the rear axle, the new Prius offers additional grip, particularly in slippery conditions. The new motor is designed to provide drive automatically at speeds of up to 7mph, or when grip levels are low, between 7mph and 44 mph. There is no mechanical connection between the front and rear axles, so interior space and economy is barely impacted upon.

The Prius Hybrid AWD-i also receives a new nickel-metal hydride battery, designed for improved performance in cold weather, while the front-wheel drive Prius is fitted with a new lithium-ion battery.

The current generation Prius was the first model to be based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture (TNGA), and continues to be built on the same platform. New styling details front and rear – with hints of the original Prius – differentiate the new model from the current Prius, and there is also an upgraded equipment list to arrive alongside the AWD-i version.

Following on from the LA launch, the new Prius will receive its European debut at the Brussels Motor Show in January next year. Further details and specifications will be announced then, along with a better idea of a UK on-sale date.

#66449 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Latest bill sets out to help ‘disadvantaged’ EV drivers with standardisation and interoperability

Electric vehicle drivers in the UK are disadvantaged compared to the rest of Europe, according to the MP behind a private members’ bill aiming to standardise charge points and introduce interoperable payment systems.

Conservative Bill Wiggin presented the Electric Vehicles (Standardised Recharging) Bill 2017-19 earlier last week in an attempt to add to the powers outlined in the Automated and Electric Vehicles Bill (AEVB), passed in July.

It aims to standardise requirements for electric vehicle charge points and for connected purposes, with Wiggin telling the house that the various connectors in the market to attach an electric vehicle to the charging points is “the first problem” with the technology.

https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/latest-bill-sets-out-to-help-disadvantaged-ev-drivers-with-standardisation-and-interoperability

#66452 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’m not much of a conspiracy theorist. But it’s almost as if the charging infrastructure mess was allowed to happen to slow the uptake on EV’s.

#66457 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

It is a mess, this should have been sorted out right at the start of ev use but it wasn’t and it is a bit of a disaster.

#66499 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Fiat Announces All-New 500e On Dedicated BEV Platform

Fiat develops its first dedicated BEV platform for the all-new electric 500.
    Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) changes its approach towards electrification.

The company announced that over the 2019-2021 period, it will invest more than €5 billion in Italy. According to Pietro Gorlier, Chief Operating Officer for the EMEA region, the investment includes “the development of new powertrain solutions with a significant focus on hybrid and electric technologies”.

The most important news is that Fiat will develop a dedicated small Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) platform.

The first model that will use the new platform will be an all-new Fiat 500 BEV.

We assume that the all-electric Fiat 500 will not only replace the current Fiat 500e available in some U.S. states, but will be introduced on a larger scale and finally be sold in Europe. The scale simply has to be high to justify a new platform compared to doing a conversion of an existing ICE model over to an electric version.

The new electric 500 is also expected to be produced in Italy (the current 500e is produced in Mexico).

News about electrification and new investments in Italy that will result in 13 all-new or restyled models during the 2019-2021 period were announced after talks with trade union signatories, which pushes Fiat to return to full employment in Italy.

“A meeting was held today at Mirafiori (Turin) between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the trade union signatories to the collective labor agreement applicable to Group companies in Italy. During the meeting, management presented the product plan for Italian plants that will support implementation of the 2018-2022 Business Plan presented at FCA’s Capital Markets Day last June in Balocco.”

“Pietro Gorlier, Chief Operating Officer for the EMEA region, presented the Group’s industrial plan for Italy, which includes the launch of 13 all-new or restyled models during the 2019-2021 period, and the development of new powertrain solutions with a significant focus on hybrid and electric technologies.

In particular, Pietro Gorlier further explained the details of the major initiatives to be launched in the next few weeks, including investment in production of the new Fiat 500 BEV at Mirafiori (Turin), and the European Jeep Compass in Melfi, leveraging the already installed vehicle platform and PHEV which underpin the Jeep Renegade. Applying that same flexible platform and PHEV technology, activities will also commence to prepare Pomigliano to produce an Alfa Romeo compact UV. A Fiat Panda MHV (Mild Hybrid Vehicle) will also be launched in Pomigliano.”

“The planned initiatives across vehicles and powertrain systems will leverage existing capacity, providing a clear product mission for the Italian plants and enabling a return to full employment.”
    FCA CEO Mike Manley opened the meeting and said:

“Mirafiori will represent the first installation of a full BEV platform applied on the new Fiat 500, capable of scaling to other applications worldwide. Additional investments across our Jeep, Alfa Romeo, and Fiat brands will realize the benefits of existing plant capacity as well as scale and sourcing efficiencies from a common vehicle architecture, and Plug-in Hybrid Electric propulsion (PHEV) system, while preserving traits unique to the brands”.
    Pietro Gorlier, Chief Operating Officer for the EMEA region said:

“The investment programmed for Italy over the plan period, which focuses on the use of common, flexible and electrified vehicle platforms, will reinforce the orientation of the Italian industrial footprint toward our global brands and global markets. In the next few months, we will be launching employee training programs focused on hybrid and electric technologies. I am convinced that, together with our workforce, we will succeed in implementing these exciting new programs in the marketplace”.

#66502 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

What Changed In The EV Industry, world wide,In September & October?

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/29/what-changed-in-the-ev-industry-in-september-october/

#66510 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

BMW Unveils Its Vision For The Next Generation Of Electric Vehicles

ast night, at an event a few blocks away from the Los Angeles Auto Show, BMW hosted the world premiere of its latest vision vehicle, dubbed the iNext.

BMW has spent the last few months touring the iNext concept around the world in an exclusive partnership with German airline Lufthansa, but those were private events and this event marks the official world premiere of the vehicle to the general public.

The iNext is one of BMW’s vision vehicles, which it uses as a platform to play with new technologies to see if they could be a good fit for use in a production vehicle or two. The automotive industry is currently in the middle of some of the largest disruptions in its short history as the world looks to combat the effects of catastrophic climate change by electrifying the vehicles we use to get around.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/29/bmw-unveils-its-vision-for-the-next-generation-of-electric-vehicles-cleantechnica-report-from-unveiling/

#66613 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Hyundai Kona Electric vs Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV vs Toyota C-HR

Is the all-electric Hyundai Kona a better SUV buy than a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or the hybrid Toyota C-HR?
    As emissions regulations become ever more stringent, car manufacturers are increasingly looking for ways to cut down their models’ CO2 outputs – or eradicate them altogether.

This in turn means buyers who take the plunge have to fork out less money on their vehicles’ running costs. But if you’re looking to buy an Alternative Fuel Vehicle, what’s the best way to go?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/kona/105361/hyundai-kona-electric-vs-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-vs-toyota-c-hr

#66634 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

We Test 6 Electric Cars To Find Out Which Goes Furthest Per Charge

We tested 6 zero-emissions cars to measure range and efficiency.
    And we drove them until the battery ran completely out of charge.

Take six of the best-selling electric cars in Italy, give each a full charge and go on a long mixed journey between the city, highway and the countryside until the batteries are completely empty.

We Test 6 Electric Cars To Find Out Which Goes Furthest Per Charge

#66636 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

#66643 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I see BAIC, Chinese state owned, purchased the rights to SAAB after the Swedish Government failed to bail them out. They are now producing an all electric SAAB 93 under the brand NEVS (National Electric Vehicle Sweden) in the old Saab factory capable of 186 miles. All the architects of the world will be getting very excited at the thought of getting their SAAB’s back.

#66648 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Wmc I liked the look of the Saab, just could never afford one.We are likely to get a number of Chinese cars coming to the UK as China is the EV capital of the world. They have fully embraced the electrification revolution (I’m dangling the hook again Rapster lol) and they will reap many of the benefits that will come with it

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 245 total)
Reply To: ‘If you don’t believe in the electric car yet, you soon will’

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: