‘If you don’t believe in the electric car yet, you soon will’

This topic contains 245 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 2 hours, 13 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #60038 Reply

Brydo

Electric cars are the future of motoring, and they’ll soon be impossible for consumers to ignore, says Steve Fowler…

This is when the electric car starts to get really serious. This week Mercedes has revealed its first, bespoke, all-electric car to the world and later this month, Audi does the same. Rest assured, it’s not stopping there.

It all comes hot on the heels of Jaguar getting its I-Pace to customers before its rivals – and winning our Car of the Year prize in the process – and Hyundai launching an affordable all-electric small SUV with a real-world range of 300 miles.

Of course, cars like the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe and Tesla Models S and X have been with us for a while, but it’s going to take more mainstream and premium brands to come to the party to make wary buyers really sit up and take notice.

The biggest barrier to EV ownership remains range – unfairly so, these days. The perception of ‘under 100 miles’ will soon change as closer to 300 miles becomes the new norm, while interest will increase as more and more appealing (if not particular attractive) cars like the EQC are launched.

Mercedes is going at it with real gusto – EQ is set to become a Mercedes brand in the same way AMG and Maybach are. EQ stands for ‘electric intelligence’ (yes, that’s what I thought, too). It also stands for a range of electrified models that’ll line up against rivals from every other maker in the coming years.

In spite of all that, every time I sing the praises of electric cars, my inbox chimes with messages from people who say they’ll never provide the fun we get from internal combustion-engined cars!

To those people I say simply: go and try one. We had a similar situation 20 years ago with diesel. Once we’d experienced it – and seen the benefits – we were hooked. That’s the same with an EV; it’s hard not to be impressed and excited once you’ve had a go.

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #65912 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I’m on a very late, for me, walk in the park, me and the swans, will have a look later oscarmax. Hopefully it’s good news that we can see coming through quickly to an ev near you lol

#65923 Reply

Brydo

Oscarmax an initial search has come up with this article.

China Kicks Off Production Of Solid-State Batteries

Solid-state battery production line (100 MWh/year) was launched in China
    The Chinese start-up Qing Tao (Kunshan) Energy Development Co. Ltd launched its first production line of solid-state battery cells in the city of Kunshan, east China’s Jiangsu Province.

The company is led by Nan Cewen, a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, who founded the company with several Ph.D graduates from Tsinghua University in 2014.

Through the investment of 1 billion yuan ($144 million) the company has developed a production line good for 0.1 GWh (100 MWh) of cells annually, which is about 1,000 100 kWh packs. It’s not enough for the automotive industry, so the first cells will be utilized on “special equipment and high-end digital products”.

Qing Tao solid-state batteries have an energy density of more than 400 Wh/kg, which would be more than any state-of-the-art Tesla/Panasonic cells.

The company is in talks with car manufacturers with goal to begin production EV batteries by 2020. The production output is expected to increase by that time to 0.7 GWh (700 MWh) or 7,000 100 kWh packs.

#65924 Reply

Brydo

Vauxhall GT X Experimental concept: details and pictures
    All you need to know about electric Vauxhall concept

https://tinyurl.com/y9m6sqn9

#65925 Reply

Brydo

British Gas launches electric car charging tariff
    Cheaper off-peak electricity for overnight charging

Energy company British Gas is introducing a new smart time-of-use tariff aimed at electric-vehicle owners who recharge overnight.

The tariff offers cheaper electricity between 12:30am and 7:30am, giving plenty of time to fully recharge a typical electric car from a home wallbox charger.

British Gas estimates electric-car drivers who charge at home use up to 80% more electricity than the norm, and so will benefit from a cheaper overnight electricity rate.

The company also promises this is a ‘green tariff’, with all the electricity matched with renewable energy and the gas carbon footprint offset with Certified Emissions Reduction Certificates.

Peter Simon, British Gas customer propositions and product director, said: “Customers who choose this tariff will have peace of mind that if they charge their electric car overnight they can take advantage of lower prices. We want to offer our customers different types of tariffs that suit their individual needs and help them understand their energy usage.

“This is our first residential electric vehicle product. Over the coming months, we will launch further electric vehicle charging services to both residential and business customers.”

The smart tariff is dual fuel, fixed until November 2020 and has no exit fees. British Gas estimates an average annual bill of £1,547, based on a typical electric vehicle user consuming an additional 2,340kWh of electricity a year year charging their car.

This works out at just over one full charge per week, for around 9,000 miles of range in total.

The tariff is available for new and existing customers paying by direct debit.

#65926 Reply

Brydo

Your questions answered
    If you need to know more before taking the plunge with an electric car, you’re in the right place. We’ve answered all the frequently-asked questions about the electric cars. Plus, you can send your questions directly to us at hello@drivingelectric.com

https://tinyurl.com/y8lvqwne

#65942 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

FreeWire trials mobile EV charging on Zipcar fleet

Charge points will come to Zipcar users as part of the Innovate UK backed trial
    A new trial involving FreeWire, Westminster City Council, Centrica, and Zipcar will study the use of mobile EV charging technology, compared to traditional static charge points.

FreeWire’s systems have already been trialled in London at BP forecourts, but this case will see the mobile charging units used with Centrica and the Zipcar electric fleet in the capital, bringing the charge point to the car, rather than the other way around.

Proposed benefits of the FreeWire system are that it reduces the costs of installing EV charge points in the ground, and increases the options for those EV drivers that don’t have access to off-street parking.

Having recently seen investment from both BP and Volvo, FreeWire is expanding its presence in the UK, and this trial helps offer indications as to the feasibility of the company’s mobile charging system in a variety of settings.

Arcady Sosinov, CEO of FreeWire Technologies, said: “Our team is thrilled to present our mobile charging solutions for real-world applications in the United Kingdom. We hope this feasibility study will prove that flexible EV charging can be effectively integrated in cities in the UK and around the world.”

Jonathan Tudor, Technology Strategy and Innovation Director for Centrica Innovations, commented: “Around 40% of the UK’s homes have no access to off-street parking, so it’s essential that we find cost-effective alternatives to home charging that will meet the growing demands of existing and future EV drivers.”

“We’re delighted to be working with leading innovators and entrepreneurs like FreeWire, who have a key role to play in helping to unlock a cleaner future for our towns and cities.”

#65943 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Hyundai Kona Electric vs Nissan Leaf

I like the look of the Kona what do you think?

What’s the best affordable small electric car on sale? We test the new Hyundai Kona Electric against the Nissan Leaf to find out…
    For years the Nissan Leaf had the affordable electric car market to itself, sewing up the sector with a balance of range, practicality, performance and affordability that made electric cars viable for many, if not the masses. But now there’s a new challenger.

https://tinyurl.com/y7ale6mb

#65967 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo just had a look at the specification and the reviews 64 kWh batteries wow and 300 miles, Mitsubishi PHEV 2020 model is rumoured to have an electric range of 70 miles it is all moving in the right direction, I am now starting to see by 2025 EV/PHEV having the market share.

#65972 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Oscarmax your correct we are begining to get much more choice at affordable prices. EV’s have made good progress over the last year but I’m confident that with the longer ranges we see coming onto the market, for both phev and Bev’s, the market share will dramatically increase.

#65973 Reply

eame64

The Kona Ev is a big game changer imho because of its looks and range but i doubt it will be on the scheme for a long time as pre orders are massive,especially from the Norwegians,where i found out on a recent visit to Bergen are way ahead in EV’s and infrastructure.Tesla’s are even used as Taxi’s there.

#65974 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

eame64 your 100% correct we are a wee bit behind other countries with our attitude towards evs so we will be towards the back of the que for any cars that are popular.

Have a look at this car, it would be interesting to get a straw pole as to whether people prefer traditional looking evs or futuristic.

New 2019 electric Vauxhall Corsa concept driven

We get behind the wheel of the GT X Experimental concept, which uses the electric powertrain of next year’s all-new Vauxhall eCorsa

https://tinyurl.com/yblrcqrv

I`m in the futuristic camp.

#65977 Reply

eame64

Anything thats easy on the eye and practical for me.The Corsa Ev should be a massive seller.

Of course everything will always depend on pricing and availability.

We ordered our MINI Phev back on August the first and delivery is not expected till Jan/Feb 2019,but we are considering cancelling because of real EV range which were finding from following some EV forums is only 14 miles in the winter and only about 20 ish in the summer which is quite poor.We are thinking we just might wait and see what 2019 brings.We would actually prefer an EV.

#65978 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I think you would need to extend your lease, if you can, to get a proper bev with real useable mileage. Motability have been really poor at bringing BEVs to the scheme which, imo, has let down those struggling financially on the scheme. As I’ve said before BEVs are so much cheaper to run its criminal that Motability have not supported those on the scheme financially compromised.

I would hope to see a few BEVs on the scheme Q1 but I’ve been hoping this for the last few years and nothing has happened. We have extended for two years in the hope that we can get a choice of BEVs, so fingers crossed.

#65981 Reply

eame64

We our new to the scheme so no need to extend leases as the Mini Phev is our first order.I am a big Lexus fan and have been driving Hybrids for a while now ,a lot of people forget Lexus/Toyota have been selling Hybrid cars since 2005 with the RX400H and GS450H which our still going strong today,i just wish you could get a phev with a proper 50 mile range.

#65983 Reply

Footloose

whilst I am keen that the advancement in electric technology moves forward I believe many are getting far to excited too early as with many present petrol and diesel models have shown that the mpg can be improved over time with engine technology and whilst manufacturers are producing more electric vehicles I believe until the infrastructure is in place that benefits those investing in electric vehicles is more readily available then we should take more of an interest but I’m not sure the present government are well placed to move forward!

#65989 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

eame64 I belief a phev with a 50 mile range would suite a lot of people it will be interesting to see how the phev/bev contest works out. If you are able to get a home charger I think a bev with 300 mile range would still be your car of choice but if not a 50 mile range phev would likely win.

Footloose I think there is much to be excited about, we are witnessing a revolution on par with the industrial revolution. In a very short period of time we will have autonomous vehicles, cars that talk to each other reducing the number of accidents on the road and with 5G technology coming soon the roads will be safer than they’ve ever been. We will see the technology used in EV’s used in everyday life, like home batteries and wireless charging.

It won’t stop there, motability will change giving people the choice to own a car or hire one. If you hire one you just book it in advance and the car will arrive at your door. Think about it, if you are disabled, on your own and can’t drive and you want to go on a fortnights break, you book your car for a fortnight. FREEDOM.So lots to be excited about. Its a great time to be alive to witness all these fantastic changes.

#65996 Reply

Rapster
    Participant

“…we are witnessing a revolution on par with the industrial revolution.” – Do you still maintain your non-fanatical position, @brydo? 😁

This is an evolution in the car industry and not a revolution as electric powered cars have been around for many, many decades.

#66002 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Rapster where have you been? i just dropped that hook in the river and you grabbed it lol.

The technology that evs provide will be beneficial to other industries like the aeronautic industry with electric powered planes starting to take off, excuse the pun. Lithium ion batteries and in the future Solid State batteries will be used in many ways. Looking at different materials that can be used in car manufacturing like carbon fibre and Graphene will have benefits to many industries.

The list is long and we haven’t even touched on all the jobs that will be created as a result

#66005 Reply

Footloose

Hi Brydo

I agree and hope that the car industry will change for the better but I’m unsure if the changes you mention regarding Motability will happen but I applaud your knowledge regarding the future of electric vehicles and the fact that you share your knowledge amongst other users of the site allowing us to understand the electric future that bit more…thank you 👍

#66007 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Footloose your more than welcome and welcome to the Forum.

#66041 Reply

jamesg

23/11/2018 hi Brydo  i think? there might be some new Plug ins on scheme  kia or Peugeot or i might be wrong

#66044 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I have also noticed some price increases?

#66171 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

The first Bentley electric car
    Hallmark tells us that Bentley’s first fully electric vehicle will be with us by 2025 at the latest, but until then it’s about making every model available as a plug-in hybrid.

“We could’ve done something off Porsche’s Mission E and it would’ve worked, but that’s not what I want from Bentley,” he says. “So we want to wait until the battery technology works for the types of cars that we build. In the meantime we’ll go hybrid and performance hybrid. Mid 2020s is when we think the technology will meet the needs of the bigger cars we need to build.”

He promises a decent range from the hybrids, though: “A 30-mile range plug-in hybrid is very transitional. But a 60- or 70-mile hybrid starts to get interesting. We want to create a package that works and gives real customer benefit.”

A self-driving Bentley?
    So electrification is coming, but Hallmark says Bentley customers don’t want autonomous cars. They appreciate the safety benefits of advanced driver assistance, so the company won’t lead on that driverless technology but it is working hard on 5G and new connectivity systems.

He also sees real benefit for the Bentley brand beyond cars. “We’re doing 26 Bentley designed apartments in the Porsche Tower in Miami and a fleet of Bentleys to be used on demand. There’s the Bentley home collection – we’re getting into architecture, furniture as well as the jewellery business – our relationship with Breitling has just been renewed.

#66173 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Cars that get better from software updates, get safer, smarter and more efficient. Thats what i call progress.

Tesla’s Software Innovations Help It To Lead The Charge

TESLA’S SOFTWARE-FIRST APPROACH FORESHADOWS THE FUTURE OF CARS
    Everyone knows that Tesla is an innovative company, and almost everyone knows that its cars don’t need gasoline. But as Lou Steinberg points out in a recent article entitled Some of the Greatest Innovations are not What You Think, electrification is not Tesla’s only innovation, and when it comes to competing in the global auto market, it may not even be the most important.

Above: Tesla’s center stack touchscreen display in the Model S (Image: Tesla)

In Steinberg’s view, Tesla’s most important innovations stem from the fact that it’s the first company to approach cars the Silicon Valley way: as a software problem. Steinberg perceived the power of “tin wrapped software” as the CTO of Symbol Technologies. “Symbol built hardware, but was able to use software to tune how it worked in different environments. Flexible software meant that the hardware behaved one way in a hospital (long battery life for a 12-hour shift) and another way in a retail store (higher power radios to overcome dead zones).”

“I bought the Model S because it was the first time I had ever seen someone treat a car as a software problem,” Steinberg writes. Sure, modern cars are full of software, but their builders are hardware companies, and automotive hardware is a mature market with few opportunities to disrupt, or even to differentiate their products.

Tesla has changed everything – for the first time, a car can improve itself over time via software upgrades. “Aside from navigation maps, all of my cars [he has owned many] had features that were largely fixed on the day they left the factory,” says Steinberg. “Not my Tesla. Every month, it gets software updates that make it better. It learned how to park. Then it learned how to do it better.  It opens my garage door when I come home. It improved its self-driving. It improved the stereo. It added anti-theft features. After one year, my car is safer and better to drive than the day I bought it. My Tesla driving experience keeps improving through patches and updates.”

Steinberg vows never again to buy “a car whose capabilities are frozen in time,” and once they’ve experienced the ever-improving Tesla ownership experience, most drivers probably feel the same.

Another important but overlooked innovation that the Sages of Silicon Valley have made is to free up constrained resources. The Tesla Rangers – mobile teams that perform minor service at customer locations – provide an example. Why are the Rangers such an innovation? Because they free up resources at service centers. “The most constrained real estate at a service center is in the service bays,” Steinberg writes. “You can hire more technicians if demand increases, but the service bays are a big capital investment that can’t be flexed up and down. The second most valuable real estate at a showroom is in the parking lot. You can fill it with cars to sell, but only if you don’t have a lot of cars you already sold taking up space while waiting for a service bay to become available. Cars waiting for service, especially warranty service, crowd out cars that are ready to be sold and delivered. Add to this the fact that many owners will ask for a loaner car, and you need a fleet of loaners. It all costs money.”

Thus, the Tesla Rangers represent not just a convenience for customers (though they certainly are that), but also “a way to optimize constrained resources and save capital. It frees up the parking lots to sell and deliver cars.”

And the third and greatest innovation of all? Tesla isn’t selling just cars. There’s a saying in the software business: “People don’t buy software, they buy a roadmap.” In other words, customers, especially large companies, don’t buy software based only on what it can do today, but based on their confidence that it will continue to get better and keep up with future needs. Once you conceive of a car as software, the capabilities you can offer to customers are almost unlimited.

“Tesla isn’t limited to promoting the current features,” writes Steinberg. “Tesla and Musk are either lauded for offering vision or panned for over-promising, but they offer a glimpse of what your car will be able to do in the future. Not another car you have to purchase again…the very same car you buy today. My car knows how to park, and will someday have full autonomous driving. Why shouldn’t it drop me off in front of the store and then find a parking space on its own?”

Many stock market observers believe that the high valuation of TSLA stock has a lot to do with investors’ belief that the company will someday offer full self-driving capability, an innovation that could have even greater implications for mobility and society than electrification. And it’s not just the stock price. A Mercedes or a BMW is a great automobile, but once you buy it, it’s going to be the same vehicle you bought until the day you sell it. If instead, you could have a machine that’s going to get better and better, and eventually be able to drive itself, how much more would you be willing to pay?

“By treating cars as software, and constantly pushing updates, Tesla can command a premium price today by selling the roadmap,” concludes Steinberg. “Other manufacturers may innovate incrementally, but as the character ‘bored Elon Musk’ once tweeted, ‘Incremental innovation is really just adjusting for inflation.’”

#66219 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

BYD Introduces Tang EV600 With 82.8 kWh Battery

BYD seems into big batteries now.
    One of the latest new models from BYD at 2018 Guangzhou Auto Show is the all-electric version of Tang SUV, which so far was available as conventional ICE and plug-in hybrid.

The BYD Tang EV600 received a fairly decent 82.8 kWh battery and is expected to go up to 600 km (373 miles), but more realistically probably the maximum will be around 500 km (310 miles).

Dual-motor all-wheel-drive powertrain (360 kW total) enables acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.4 seconds. Chinese manufacturer envisioned also 30-minute fast recharge.

The pure electric Tang will be available in five and seven-seat (2+3+2) versions.

Prices in China are to be around 260,000-360,000 RMB ($37,400-$51,800). The base price is twice higher than base conventional ICE and slightly higher than base PHEV version.

We are very interested in how well the new Tang BEV will sell as the PHEV is the top -selling plug-in model for the brand (over 6,000 per month).

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 245 total)
Reply To: ‘If you don’t believe in the electric car yet, you soon will’
Your information: