‘If you don’t believe in the electric car yet, you soon will’

This topic contains 245 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 54 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #60038 Reply

Brydo

Electric cars are the future of motoring, and they’ll soon be impossible for consumers to ignore, says Steve Fowler…

This is when the electric car starts to get really serious. This week Mercedes has revealed its first, bespoke, all-electric car to the world and later this month, Audi does the same. Rest assured, it’s not stopping there.

It all comes hot on the heels of Jaguar getting its I-Pace to customers before its rivals – and winning our Car of the Year prize in the process – and Hyundai launching an affordable all-electric small SUV with a real-world range of 300 miles.

Of course, cars like the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe and Tesla Models S and X have been with us for a while, but it’s going to take more mainstream and premium brands to come to the party to make wary buyers really sit up and take notice.

The biggest barrier to EV ownership remains range – unfairly so, these days. The perception of ‘under 100 miles’ will soon change as closer to 300 miles becomes the new norm, while interest will increase as more and more appealing (if not particular attractive) cars like the EQC are launched.

Mercedes is going at it with real gusto – EQ is set to become a Mercedes brand in the same way AMG and Maybach are. EQ stands for ‘electric intelligence’ (yes, that’s what I thought, too). It also stands for a range of electrified models that’ll line up against rivals from every other maker in the coming years.

In spite of all that, every time I sing the praises of electric cars, my inbox chimes with messages from people who say they’ll never provide the fun we get from internal combustion-engined cars!

To those people I say simply: go and try one. We had a similar situation 20 years ago with diesel. Once we’d experienced it – and seen the benefits – we were hooked. That’s the same with an EV; it’s hard not to be impressed and excited once you’ve had a go.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #61772 Reply

Sam

There has been a thought for a while about Trump’s tariffs on China in some circles, there is a couple of companies in the US that are specializing in small batteries using Goldwire tech, one or two of these companies have had funding from China because the Chinese know the potential this technology could bring.

When I say small batteries, I mean a quarter of the size in a phone containing more power than it’s replacement and chargeable more quickly.  That is just one advancement, there is another company making batteries that do not explode no matter what is done to it.

This tech is expanding rapidly, a bit like the computer advances of the late 90’s early 2000’s, my issue after that is what will the government do when we are all driving EV’s, they will not get revenue from fuel duty or road tax so is that when pay as you drive will come in?

It is the same arguement as tobacco, when everyone stops smoking cigarettes they will just tax vapers otherwise how are they going to get all their income.

#61779 Reply

Brydo

Sam good info on the battery tech, there is a huge amount going on within the battery sector and the next year or so will be very interesting, and I wait, with interest, to see what solid state batteries can offer.

With regard to the government and taxes, there is no doubt they will recoup the money from somewhere. How they recover this money is still to be decided but they will get it somehow.

#61781 Reply

Sam

I had an idea years ago when all this was gaining ground, if you run a haulage firm and have electric trucks going up and down the country that at the service stations you could have hot swap battery packs eventually, you just pull the old one out, place it in the charging booth for your company (similar to your locked fuel compartments in your depot) take one of the fully charged ones and put it in your truck then away you go.

Solid state could be the tech that could do this, once all cars are EV then it won’t be long before trucks and coaches will need to be too

#61829 Reply

Brydo

Sam there are a number of EV trucks on the market just now, Tesla have a semi as they call it, that does 500 miles on a single charge. There is a push to get the Tesco, asda type delivery vans to be all electric, probably due to a number of the large cities considering having EV only areas.

#61953 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Brydo.

The Smart EQ has joined the scheme, can you review?

#61960 Reply

Brydo

wmc its not a car i know much about but here is a review that may help. I am out all day today but will have a look tonight when i get back.

#61961 Reply

Brydo

Great to see a pure ev on the scheme 👍

#61962 Reply

Brydo

Anyone who is looking to get one ask about vehicle to grid chargers, if it is compatible this type of charger will earn you a further £200 approx per year on top of all the money you will save on petrol ⛽️

#62043 Reply

Brydo

Power chief warns electric car charging may lead to blackouts

Scottish energy manager says electric vehicle charging could cause blackouts if network investment is held back
    The growing popularity of electric cars could lead to blackouts if proper investment is not made in the electricity network, a leading energy boss has warned.

https://tinyurl.com/y9ol27yr

#62062 Reply

Craig

You’ll never convince me to get an electric car yet. The infrastructure still isn’t there for everyone to go electric. No chance I can get one where I live.

I think your a tad optimistic that everyone will be electric in 10 years, I don’t see it. There’ll still be petrol and diesel cars on the road.

#62073 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

If we are to go electric we will need to build more power stations and that means if they are to be automic then there will be the toxic waste and will we run out of storage for this.I thought hydrogen would have been better or why not carry on with the petrol car until fossel fuel runs out as long as there is very low polution as people seem to think that electric is clean and its not we are being sold a lie.

#62077 Reply

Brydo

Craig first of all welcome to the thread, yes there will be petrol and diesel on the road but no new diesel for sale and very few new petrol only cars to choose from.

We’re a bit slow in the UK in the uptake of EV’s which is a pity because we will likely be left behind in a multi billion £ industry.

Craig if charging at home is not an option, either by home charger or street charger, I can understand your reticence but charging away from home will get quicker and much easier in the coming years.As it stands I could have a home charger and would love a pure EV, one with a range of 200 miles would be ideal for us or a hybrid that does 50 miles on a single charge would be good also.

#62078 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Brydo,

Perhaps you can explain to me why we do not see advancements in hybrid battery power the way we do with all electric cars. The first Leaf had a range of 100 odd miles, the new one around 150 and next year it will be 225. Yet plugin hybrid cars have only seen small gains in battery power and independent range. Is it the case that all the energy, excuse the pun, goes into producing the holy grail of electric car that has a 500 mile range that can be fully charged in 30 minutes? It would seem to me that the manufacturers have missed a trick, certainly in the short term.

#62079 Reply

Brydo

Daveblue welcome, in the immediate future there will be no need for any additional power plants, the grid have said it can cope with any rise in EV’s, for now. In the future it may be different but only if we stop erecting windfarms, especially offshore. As it stands just now a lot of the windfarms and hydro electric sources are switched off at night due to over supply of electricity, with EV’s home charging this won’t happen. All the spare capacity overnight electricity will be used by the EV battery.There is also an EV charger called a vehicle to grid charger that allows the electricity from EV’s to flow back to the grid in periods of high demand. If you have say a million EV’s plugged in at tee time then the grid can draw enough electricity to supply ten million homes. Its hard to believe but a fully charged EV can provide enough electricity to supply ten homes for eight hours.

So nothing to worry about just now, electricity provision is cleaner than it has ever been and this is likely to be the case during our lifetime.

Hydrogen actually uses electricity to produce it, then, similar to petrol, needs to be driven to a service station so its not really that green an option plus no one is buying hydrogen cell cars or providing it at service stations so its unlikely to play a major roll in car drive trains.

#62080 Reply

Brydo

WMC its all about cost and space, batteries with enough energy to drive long distances on electricity alone are bulky, heavy, and more expensive. Ive often felt that a hybrid that doeas 50 miles on a single charge would be the answer to many ev questions. I rarely do more than 50 miles in a day so i could happily drive this range of hybrid. As battery prices decrease there will be hybrids that do 50 – 100 miles on a single charge but at the same time they will be producing batteries that can do up to 800 miles on a single charge. So its likely that pure EV`s will eventually win the battle.

#62097 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

Hi will we all get used to silent cars how boring that will be after the sound of a v10 engine the future looks very bleak.

#62098 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

And as i have a battery 8mph mobility scooter which still have old batteries no lithium on large scooter we have not advanced much even though they can cost on a rental as much as a car on the scheme, we know most are made in china but come on where are lithium powered large scooters.

#62102 Reply

Brydo

Dave I’m sure you can get the noise piped into the car if you miss it, in fact I think evs are required to make a noise when travelling less than twenty miles an hour. You won’t however be disappointed by the speed of evs that, in many cases, are much faster than there petrol counterparts.

I don’t know much about scooters but I know that my father in law has an electric golf  bag carrier that has a lithium battery so don’t see any reason why your scooter can’t have one.

#62135 Reply

Olpk
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I’m all for changing to a full EV car.</p>
    I’ve not seen anything to suggest any hybrid/Phev would work for me.

My concern is the motability price caps dont take into account EV pricing and their tendency to be a lot more expensive than their ICE counterparts.

I like the look of the Niro but suggested pricing would put higher spec models out of the motability price range.

The higher spec models provide things I consider essential but where as on mainstream brands you can compensate by raiding the options list with hyundai/kia the options are non existent.

Will the bigger battery Leaf be overpriced? But to be honest Leaf currently lacks in battery management tech so would have to improve with the bigger battery next year.

#62136 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

You can now buy lightweight lithium batteries for your mobility scooter as a direct replacement £275.00

#62139 Reply

Brydo

Olpk what would you be looking for in an EV, for instance how far do you travel daily? Do you need a big vehicle with a large boot, would you be able to install a home charger.

I don’t see why mota wouldn’t get the EV grants available to others and remember all  EV’s are automatic.

I haven’t seen the Nero in the flesh but I have seen the leaf and its a nice car and great to drive. I fully expect to see three or four EV’s on the scheme by q2 next year so let’s see what mota come up with as EV’s will save you hundreds of pounds a year until the government start to tax the electricity you put in your EV.

#62150 Reply

Brydo

European Parliament votes to reduce CO2 emissions by 40% by 2030

European parliament approves draft law setting tougher targets for emissions, ruling 35 per cent of new cars must be low-emission by 2030
    The European Parliament has approved a draft law that will force carbon dioxide (CO2) levels for new cars to be cut by 40 per cent by 2030, and 20 per cent by 2025.

It has also voted that electric cars and ZLEVs (Zero Level Emission Vehicles – cars that emit under 50g/km of CO2) should make up 35 per cent of new car and van sales by 2030, and 20 per cent by 2025.

CO2 emissions are calculated based on individual car makers’ fleet averages, meaning emissions for each company are comprised of the average amount of CO2 produced by every vehicle they sell.

Commenting on the new CO2 limits, EU Parliament spokeswoman Miriam Dalli said: “This legislation goes beyond reducing harmful emissions and protecting the environment. It looks at setting the right incentives for manufacturers.”

The European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) was critical of the new targets, however, with the organisation’s secretary general, Erik Jonnaert, saying he is “concerned about the extremely aggressive CO2 reduction targets and the imposition of sales quotas for battery electric vehicles that MEPs have backed”.

Jonnaert also warned “consumers cannot be forced to buy electric cars, without the necessary infrastructure or incentives in place”, adding he hopes national governments bring some “realism” to the table when “adopting their common position on the future CO2 targets next week.”

Previous intermediate legislation targeted a 15 per cent reduction of CO2 by 2025, though this was increased in September this year to a 30 per cent reduction target by 2021, with industry and environmentalists calling for more relaxed and stricter targets, respectively.

#62151 Reply

Brydo

Two new electric Skoda SUVs on the way

Skoda’s debut EV will be based on VW’s new MEB platform and will come in two bodystyles, with the first due to arrive in 2020
    Skoda’s first all-electric model previewed by the Vision E SUV concept will be offered in two different bodystyles, Auto Express has learned.

The Czech brand’s first offering on the VW Group’s bespoke all-electric MEB architecture is due in the second half of 2020. It had been expected to be a scaled-down version of the Vision E concept car – a swoopy coupe SUV – with an unusually long wheelbase of around 2,800mm giving it similar levels of cabin space to Skoda’s own Superb.

https://tinyurl.com/ycmeflhm

#62152 Reply

Brydo

Mazda reveals EV plans

A new Mazda EV and range extended EV are due in 2020
    Mazda has announced that it will launch its first EVs in 2020, with one pure-EV and one range-extender model at the company’s electric vanguard.

The range-extender model will see the return of the rotary engine to Mazda’s books, and will be available with a range of applications.

It’s small size and quiet running mean it should be well suited to top up the Mazda EV’s battery on the move. The Japanese firm has also designed it to be compatible with gaseous fuels, meaning it could burn LPG too.

Coming in as part of Mazda’s Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 long-term plan, no details on the forthcoming EVs have been announced. Whether these are compact, family sized, SUV, or sports car-based models has not been revealed.

Mazda expects that internal combustion engines with some form of electrification will account for 95% of vehicles it produces in 2030 – with pure-electrics accounting for the remaining 5%.

#62153 Reply

Brydo

Watch Kia e-Niro Get The Autogefühl Treatment At Paris Debut

Yes, it does look familiar.
    The Kia e-Niro has just made its debut in production form at the Paris Motor Show. If it looks a little familiar, that’s because this is the same vehicle that’s been going by the name Niro EV, and which we’ve been tracking since its first soft debut back in May. If you are a regular InsideEVs reader, then no doubt you’ve been following our coverage of this solid battery-powered offering — from watching YouTuber Bjorn Nyland drive it more than 300 miles in Korea to learning about its sub-$40,000 price tag in the U.S..

https://tinyurl.com/ycgbts3o

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 245 total)
Reply To: ‘If you don’t believe in the electric car yet, you soon will’
Your information: