If a vaccine becomes available for covid 19, would you take it?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #127441 Reply
    Brydo

We are likely only months away from a vaccine for covid in the UK. Most on this forum would be towards the top of the list to receive it but how many would take it.

Vaccines go through lots of approvals before being passed for use but there is pressure to get a vaccine out there as soon as is practically possible.

Do you think the speed at which the current vaccine candidates have been approved means they are less safe than previous vaccine?

I would take the vaccine  if offered but not without reservations I may add.

Viewing 16 replies - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129069 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Is it very likely we’ll get a Covid vaccine that’s 90% effective? Flu vaccines never have been…

#129096 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Because we don’t know how long post-Covid ‘natural immunity’ lasts (or how effective it is) or how long the Vaccine will last, if people have the vaccine the date of vaccination can be officially recorded and Doctors will then have a definite Immunity ‘starting date’.

Well said, Georgie. Just watched the minister holding forth in Commons about vaccine. Tucked away, in the hidden centre of a load of blather he said, words to effect of: “we don’t know how long [the vaccine’s] effects will last“. He did not elaborate on this but I suppose at least he told a little bit of truth.

#129104 Reply
    Brydo

These questions will only be answered with time and experience. I hope the vaccine will last for at least a year but nothing is certain in these uncertain times.

#129135 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

We know that 6 months after having COVID-19, most people still have antibodies, so there is no reason to think that it would be different with a vaccine.

As for how much longer will the antibodies still show up, well, we’ll have to wait to see when those who first had COVID-19 finally show no antibodies.

Antibodies aren’t the only armour in the immune system though, T-cells etc., are also on call.

We can do booster vaccinations too if needed.

#129180 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Not if it’s the new untested gene based one. i won’t as that could have real bad effect on your cells and could start attacking other cells. one has to understand a little about the immune system. to understand why.

Pretty much like , the problems they are coming across is stem cells can cause the cells to turn cancerous when they try to create them from human cells already in the body.. we do not have stem cells.

https://lymphoma-action.org.uk/about-lymphoma-what-lymphoma/immune-system

explains how the immune system works.

In austrailia sky news was saying they will not be giving the vaccine to those at high risk or children as it is not safe.

Gene therapy is an experimental technique that uses genes to treat or prevent disease. In the future, this technique may allow doctors to treat a disorder by inserting a gene into a patient’s cells instead of using drugs or surgery.

Sounds alot how the vaccines works

Current antiviral vaccine designs can be described as falling into 2 camps: protein based or gene based. Protein-based vaccines deliver the immune system–stimulating antigen to the body. This category includes whole-inactivated (killed) vaccines, as in the polio and flu shots, and subunit vaccines and virus-like particles, like in the hepatitis B and human papillomavirus vaccines.

or much cheaper to make.

Gene-based vaccines take a different tack. They carry the genetic instructions for the host’s cells to make the antigen, which more closely mimics a natural infection. In the case of coronaviruses, the antigen of interest is the surface spike protein the virus uses to bind and fuse with human cells. “You’re not giving them the protein—you’re giving them the genetic material that then instructs them how to make that spike protein, to which they make an antibody response that hopefully is protective.

only thing is the human body may kill off those infected host cells and others.

#129188 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Not if it’s the new untested gene based one. i won’t as that could have real bad effect on your cells and could start attacking other cells. one has to understand a little about the immune system. to understand why. Pretty much like , the problems they are coming across is stem cells can cause the cells to turn cancerous when they try to create them from human cells already in the body.. we do not have stem cells. https://lymphoma-action.org.uk/about-lymphoma-what-lymphoma/immune-system explains how the immune system works. In austrailia sky news was saying they will not be giving the vaccine to those at high risk or children as it is not safe. Gene therapy is an experimental technique that uses genes to treat or prevent disease. In the future, this technique may allow doctors to treat a disorder by inserting a gene into a patient’s cells instead of using drugs or surgery. Sounds alot how the vaccines works Current antiviral vaccine designs can be described as falling into 2 camps: protein based or gene based. Protein-based vaccines deliver the immune system–stimulating antigen to the body. This category includes whole-inactivated (killed) vaccines, as in the polio and flu shots, and subunit vaccines and virus-like particles, like in the hepatitis B and human papillomavirus vaccines. or much cheaper to make. Gene-based vaccines take a different tack. They carry the genetic instructions for the host’s cells to make the antigen, which more closely mimics a natural infection. In the case of coronaviruses, the antigen of interest is the surface spike protein the virus uses to bind and fuse with human cells. “You’re not giving them the protein—you’re giving them the genetic material that then instructs them how to make that spike protein, to which they make an antibody response that hopefully is protective. only thing is the human body may kill off those infected host cells and others.

The mRNA vaccine in question being the Pfizer offering of course.

What’s being used is “an instruction sheet” on how to make the spike protein, it will be taken up by some cells & the spike protein will be produced in limited quantity for a limited time until the mRNA is broken down by the cells it enters. It doesn’t mean that the mRNA will be translated into DNA & incorporated into the human genome, just that the mRNA will be read, antigens produced & the body mounts a reaction by producing antibodies.

Yes the body will kill off cells producing viral antigens, and you’ll be a few cells less for a few days until new ones are made to replace them. This is exactly what will happen if you get COVID-19 anyway, your body will hopefully find & destroy any infected cells.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by gothitjulie.
    #129440 Reply
    ajn

Oh well lots of will, won’t & if’s all resulting in personal weak opinions  resulting and leading to nothing in reality…

#129802 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Safety and immunogenicity of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine administered in a prime-boost regimen in young and old adults (COV002): a single-blind, randomised, controlled, phase 2/3 trial

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32466-1/fulltext

#129804 Reply
    Brydo

Thanks for sharing informed science with us Julie. There is so much nonsense on-line its good to get information one can trust.

#129805 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

So agree, Julie. There’s so much Boris Bo11ox being spewed out by “government” and its mutated algorithms that it is good to get some real science. Personally, I’ll take the vaccine as soon as proper testing is successfully complete. Risk of death from virus far higher than risk from jab.

#129806 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Thanks for sharing informed science with us Julie. There is so much nonsense on-line its good to get information one can trust.

Bear in mind that this isn’t the stage 3 trial results where we will find out if this vaccine actually protects against C19 out in the community, this is merely results on how well tolerated the vaccine is & the sort of immune response to the vaccine the body mounts. Also it’s single blind. Saying that it’s very encouraging and if you download the PDF & read all of that you’ll start to see how thorough the trial has been.

#129807 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

So agree, Julie. There’s so much Boris Bo11ox being spewed out by “government” and its mutated algorithms that it is good to get some real science. Personally, I’ll take the vaccine as soon as proper testing is successfully complete. Risk of death from virus far higher than risk from jab.

I think we need to be realistic at this point about how much “proper testing” will be completed before this vaccine gets rolled out. We can’t know about side effects years down the line, we can’t say how long immunity will last. All we can hope for in the shorter term is the stage 3 trials showing us a rough percentage on how much protection it gives (99% ish if you look at the stage 2/3 results & extrapolate, but that’s not very scientific), and some idea of what side effects/adverse reactions to expect (usual headache/arm hurting for weeks, etc I’ll expect).

Again, it’s upto the individual to assess risks, but from what I’m seeing I’d see the risk of death from C19 being so much higher than the risk of death from the vaccine that I’d definitely be having the vaccine, but I think that must be a choice except for where people are unable to make rational choices for themselves , or, where people are proven incapable of following social distancing rules.

#129808 Reply
    Brydo

Tharg me too.

I have the start of a bit of a cold, sore head and throat so if I can catch that with all the precautions I am taking I could easily catch COVID.
    So roll out the vaccine 💉 so a bit of normality can return.

#129809 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It could be inferred that if all these precautions we are forced to take haven’t stopped the spread of a cold, they won’t have stopped the spread of Covid.

#129813 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

It could be inferred that if all these precautions we are forced to take haven’t stopped the spread of a cold, they won’t have stopped the spread of Covid.

I think you’re right, there are simply too many chances for C19 to spread.

I’m always watching people, observing them, I learned to do this in the animal house at the back of the labs at university with the primates. I’ve noticed that we now have people who ONLY use hand gel to cleanse their hands, so, they’re going around with all sorts of residues on their hands looking for an opportunity to poison rather than infect…. that’s scary. Water is the great solvent, we rely on it to dilute things so that our bodies can better cope with the lower levels of contaminants, we need to keep washing our hands & using the gels when we can’t wash our hands, not one or the other.

#129814 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I think it unrealistic to think we can stop the spread of COVID but we can certainly reduce the chances of catching it by taking the precautions the government are outlining.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 16 replies - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
Reply To: If a vaccine becomes available for covid 19, would you take it?
Your information: