Hyundai Ioniq 6 Ultimate …. Opinions.

• Creator
    Topic

Surprisingly for an old guy like me the Ioniq 6 is now top of my shortlist.

My new vehicle order date is in just one month (Dec 12th) so I’m now coming close to ‘ make your mind up time’ lol.

I’ve researched a number of cars including the Mazda CX60, Kia EV6, Ionic 5, Renault Austral e, Enyaq (humph!!!!) and also considered  extending my lease on my Peugeot 3008 hybrid.

I’m interested in changing to full EV and feel that now may be my last opportunity to do so due to advancing age. The Ioniq 6 Ultimate comes complete with all the items on my ‘need and wish list’ including a heat pump, opening sunroof, full electric relaxation front seats, and an essential quality audio (Bose) etc, etc. So no expensive optional extras would be required.

I haven’t previously considered the Ioniq 6 because when I’ve seen them around they looked to low for me to get in and out of, so when I was in the Hyundai dealership for an Ioniq 5 test drive I sat in a ‘6’ just to rule it out, but to my surprise I was able to get in and out with no difficulty at all (due to the raised floor over the batteries) …. that started me thinking.

I’ve almost convinced myself that I should order this car but I thought I would ask you guys for your opinions if you have any.

Cheers.

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 136 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Ioniq
      Participant

@mfillingham

I m sure its 2.5 or 2.7.

Edit..just checked an its averaging 2.9..

Its at 83% battery an indicating 249 miles.

I dont yet know how accurate the readings are.

I.ll know the next time I go out and go a couple of miles.

The range estimates do tend to fluctuate as the power draw is variable i guess. I.ve not tried the heated seats yet, its plenty hot inside.

Ioniq
        Participant

The 249 reading is from Bluelink, when I went out and switched it on, it dropped to 212…lol. i was sitting a while as it was doing a system Update.

Still learning…lol.

MFillingham
          Participant

The reading in car is from the “Guess-O-Meter” (GOM) the Bluelink in notoriously off, even when compared to the GOM.   I actually had the GOM tell me I could get 225 miles out of my 163mile ZS.  I looked at the miles per kWh and did the sums and the 225 turned into 175, still pretty good when the WLTP lies tell you 163.

Is this the first EV you’ve had?  If so, there’s a whole learning curve about how to get the most out of a charge and that differs from car to car.  I found that those with the auto parking brake need that switching off, the effort to pull out, especially in a hurry is so inefficient it’s mental.  That alone gave me 20 miles per charge.  That’s mostly because the MG’s electronics are so quick it’s as if they communicate with China before disengaging the brake, so pulling out to fit in a gap becomes incredibly stressful and you end up standing on the accelerator until you start moving, then you’re trying to lighten up whilst not losing the acceleration.  Then there’s things like regen setting, which differs for each driving situation, and when you can and can’t use eco and gain from it.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
            I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Phaedra
            Participant

@POPS

I went through much the same situation, 67 with increasing health problems, would I be OK with a full EV or should I just go with a FHEV etc.

In the end I decided (with a lot of pushing from my kids) that it may be my only chance to change, the benefits of doing it with Motability such as the free charger install and potential fuel cost savings both in petrol vs electric and being able to take advantage of the cheaper electricity rates with Octopus means I also get to reduce the cost of my washing and drying, small dish washer etc. by doing them at night at about 1/4 of the current price.  If I’m careful the EV will only cost around £5-600 for the 3yrs, my current petrol Ateca would at least £3000 at current prices.

I was worried about all the usual EV stuff but with the help and info I’ve had from this forum it’s reassured me to make the change.   Most of my driving is local and under say 20 miles a trip, my longest “regular” journey, maybe 6 to 9 times a year, is 125 miles (round trip) and mostly in the summer.  The Enyaq has a claimed range of over 300 miles so even with the drop in range in the winter it’s still about twice what I would ever use in one trip.

Regardless of the cost savings or whether it’s an ICE, BEV or Hybrid, if you like the car and it suits your needs then go for it  😀

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Ioniq
              Participant

Yup. Mark its a steep learning curve. Trying 2 charging points an failed miserably.  The first one, you needed a card. Moved on to an instavolt…great it accepts swipe…done that then pulled out the charging pistol, it couldnt reach the port. I installed the app for the first charger, and it charged fine. 30 mins and charged it to 88%. Right next to a Starbucks…lol.

It just keeps you on your toes, new technology…lol.

MFillingham
                Participant

Yup. Mark its a steep learning curve. Trying 2 charging points an failed miserably. The first one, you needed a card. Moved on to an instavolt…great it accepts swipe…done that then pulled out the charging pistol, it couldnt reach the port. I installed the app for the first charger, and it charged fine. 30 mins and charged it to 88%. Right next to a Starbucks…lol. It just keeps you on your toes, new technology…lol.

Even the process for contactless payments are different, some you plug in first, some swipe first.  Adoption would be much easier if you didn’t have to have 25 apps and understand 13 different payment processes just to charge your car.  Even worse, there’s discount cards, from manufacturers and from 3rd parties, but none for absolutely all providers, so do you stop on your route and pay by contactless or go 5 miles out of your way to save 5p per kWh?

It’s all frustrating but it’s a massive improvement on motorway services having 2 stations that may/may not work and nothing else around for miles.

All that said, I love the ease of driving electric, I know the next car will be electric and I will do my level best to ensure every car after that will also be electric.  New ranges mean I don’t have to worry so desperately about where I charge, looking at what I can realistically get from the Ioniq 5 or 6 or the Enyaq, they’ll all be able to drive much further than I can in one go.  From where I am in Cornwall, I’m desperate to get out by the time I get to Exeter, again 2 hours later and, if the journey is long enough, 2 hours after that, the car could pretty much get to London in one hit or near enough.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

Callmejohn
                  Participant

Yup. Mark its a steep learning curve. Trying 2 charging points an failed miserably. The first one, you needed a card. Moved on to an instavolt…great it accepts swipe…done that then pulled out the charging pistol, it couldnt reach the port. I installed the app for the first charger, and it charged fine. 30 mins and charged it to 88%. Right next to a Starbucks…lol. It just keeps you on your toes, new technology…lol.

The energy firms and car manufacturers should fund day and night classes for people who have just got EV’s, thinking of getting an EV or just want to understand more about EV’s at this stage as a lot of people must be frightened off or at least put off by the complexity of the whole issue of EV’s  and don’t know enough about the subject to take the plunge and go for one as their next car.

Also as we all know and have said, the infostructure in this country has to expand beyond what is currently needed to show people that they can take that step and buy an EV with the assurance that it will be able to cope with their current and future needs.

They cannot expect the people to go for EV’s with the knowledge that if enough of us get one then the infostructure will follow, it just won’t work, people have to see that the infostructure is here and now before most people will consider making that step onto EV’s.

MFillingham
                    Participant

Watching Richard Symons reviewing the “6” and he wasn’t holding back on the navigation.  It got me thinking, we all know that plugging into the phone and using Android Auto or CarPlay will get you better maps/navigation but with preconditioning of the battery improving charging speeds, can these other apps work with the car to activate preconditioning?

Richard is a bit of a Tesla fan and they’ve very good software, so I’m not sure whether he’s pointing out software inefficiencies deliberately or whether they really are that bad.

Mark

des
                      Participant

MF the sat nav in my Kona is a joke.

It’s not bad it’s absolutely useless. Always the longest and slowest way.

I’ve tried android auto and just didn’t get along with it tbh.

I mentioned it before on here thinking that it might be something to do with economy but nope, it’s just useless.

MFillingham
                        Participant

MF the sat nav in my Kona is a joke. It’s not bad it’s absolutely useless. Always the longest and slowest way. I’ve tried android auto and just didn’t get along with it tbh. I mentioned it before on here thinking that it might be something to do with economy but nope, it’s just useless.

That fills me with confidence. 🤦🏻

I guess I’m going to have to test that on the test drive.

There seems to be ongoing software problems in many BEVs from apps not working properly to navigation failing it’s not great news.  The Google and Tesla systems appear to be the best.

Mark

kezo
                          Participant

Watching Richard Symons reviewing the “6” and he wasn’t holding back on the navigation. It got me thinking, we all know that plugging into the phone and using Android Auto or CarPlay will get you better maps/navigation but with preconditioning of the battery improving charging speeds, can these other apps work with the car to activate preconditioning? Richard is a bit of a Tesla fan and they’ve very good software, so I’m not sure whether he’s pointing out software inefficiencies deliberately or whether they really are that bad.

What car satnav is brilliant, afterall they all think you will be using AA or CP.

The Satnav in the 6 is the same as my Tuscon without the electrical bits, its functional and no lag in comparison to what others can be. You are given an option of 2 routes quickest and slowest if you like, similar to the more laggy on in the Skoda Superb I had. Hyundai/Kia system is perhaps a little dated but still functional. For example your in say one info screen and rather swiping down, to get to all the settings in that screen, you have to go through a menu button on whatever screen your on. Neither here or there to me, I hate touch screens at best of time lol, but we all get use to it after a day or two. The Kona has the new system, which is weird given the 6 is the flagship.

Bjorn explains it here

https://youtu.be/ZI_uutpJy24

MFillingham
                            Participant

Getting around wouldn’t be an issue, like the majority, I use my phone.  However on long distances the temperature in the batteries has a great impact on charging speeds, which is part of the reason the Hyundais stand out.

Mark

kezo
                              Participant

Getting around wouldn’t be an issue, like the majority, I use my phone. However on long distances the temperature in the batteries has a great impact on charging speeds, which is part of the reason the Hyundais stand out.

there is a metric to when the battery will preheat/fast charge i.e 20-30% battery left it will do both, minimal battery left it won’t preheat, due to the allready reduced range. If the battery is warm enough it won’t preheat and still fast charge.

Given the majority of charger currently and likely into the future are 150-200kW, it will hit that speed anyway, unless the battery is really cold.

MFillingham
                                Participant

Getting around wouldn’t be an issue, like the majority, I use my phone. However on long distances the temperature in the batteries has a great impact on charging speeds, which is part of the reason the Hyundais stand out.

there is a metric to when the battery will preheat/fast charge i.e 20-30% battery left it will do both, minimal battery left it won’t preheat, due to the allready reduced range. If the battery is warm enough it won’t preheat and still fast charge. Given the majority of charger currently and likely into the future are 150-200kW, it will hit that speed anyway, unless the battery is really cold.

Hmmm, guess who’s overthinking…

What’s completely nuts is that with the charging speeds as they are, I’ll probably be giving the car a boost when I need to stop, rather than stopping because the car’s low, so speed won’t be a massive problem anyway.  It’s not like the ZS where I reach the first services on “fumes” and have to recharge to 80%+ I’ll get there on more than 50% and whatever goes in is a bonus.

Mark

Just a thought on the digital camera side mirrors (£995 option).

I read an article recently on the potential dangers of these mirrors for ‘older drivers’. There is an eye condition that starts to affect people when they get into their forties and is progressive until mid sixties when it seems to stop degenerating any further. It’s known as ‘Presbyopia’ and is basically a slow but continual reduction of our ability to correctly focus on things closer to us, while still allowing us to focus on more distant objects.

I thought it worth posting this as it seems that it may well be a possible safety issue for the more mature driver.

MFillingham
                                    Participant

Just a thought on the digital camera side mirrors (£995 option). I read an article recently on the potential dangers of these mirrors for ‘older drivers’. There is an eye condition that starts to affect people when they get into their forties and is progressive until mid sixty’s when it seems to stop degenerating any further. It’s known as ‘Presbyopia’ and is basically a slow but continual reduction of our ability to correctly focus on things closer to us, while still allowing us to focus on more distant objects. I thought it worth posting this as it seems that it may well be a possible safety issue for the more mature driver.

Backed up by the requirement for many of us to have to wear glasses for reading, computer work and, eventually, driving.  What is interesting to me is that since having to wear varifocals, I’ve found that the glare from oncoming traffic and traffic behind can seriously impact just how much I can see.  Apparently these digital mirrors have enhanced night vision, making images clearer.  If that’s the case, would they be safer at night?

To be honest, the cost and risk of these options are a barrier enough for me, £995 for 2 mirrors and the screens inside just for some comedian to clobber one because it looks far too fancy/posh/fun to hit.  I suspect you may need a deposit account just to save for ‘accidental’ damage to these.

Mark

kezo
                                      Participant

Just a thought on the digital camera side mirrors (£995 option). I read an article recently on the potential dangers of these mirrors for ‘older drivers’. There is an eye condition that starts to affect people when they get into their forties and is progressive until mid sixty’s when it seems to stop degenerating any further. It’s known as ‘Presbyopia’ and is basically a slow but continual reduction of our ability to correctly focus on things closer to us, while still allowing us to focus on more distant objects. I thought it worth posting this as it seems that it may well be a possible safety issue for the more mature driver.

Backed up by the requirement for many of us to have to wear glasses for reading, computer work and, eventually, driving. What is interesting to me is that since having to wear varifocals, I’ve found that the glare from oncoming traffic and traffic behind can seriously impact just how much I can see. Apparently these digital mirrors have enhanced night vision, making images clearer. If that’s the case, would they be safer at night? To be honest, the cost and risk of these options are a barrier enough for me, £995 for 2 mirrors and the screens inside just for some comedian to clobber one because it looks far too fancy/posh/fun to hit. I suspect you may need a deposit account just to save for ‘accidental’ damage to these.

The 6 I drove had the camera setup and the view qas crystal clear however, there was something missing compared to normal mirrors. The best way for me to describe this is, perception of distance of the vehicle behind when overtajing. I’m nearly 56 and have gloucoma (secondary) in right eye and don’t need glasses for driving.

Although the clarity was superb and the screens in an ideal location compared to the Etron GT, I wouldn’t spec them as an option, for reasons above and costreplacement cost.

It appears that the problem with these mirrors isn’t the clarity it’s the fact that you are actually viewing a small flat tv screen very close to you. The diagram that I looked at had a red line drawn to the mirror screen and then another line drawn straight back to the eyeball. The distance between the eye and the screen is less than three feet. With a normal glass side mirror the red line goes from the eyeball to the side mirror and then continues on until it meets the object or vehicle that is captured in your view, so if it’s twenty or fifty feet away you are looking at it in its correct position, so the red line (your actual focal distance) is considerably longer than the one to the flat image on a camera screen. That’s why they superimpose depth perception lines on the digital screen to assist depth perception.

Having driven an Ioniq 5 with digital camera mirrors I can confirm that although the quality of the image was high resolution the depth perspective was very flat. In retrospect I realised that I only really looked at the detail in the mirrors when I was driving very slowly or stopped in city traffic. I guess that even with my elderly eyeballs I would learn to adjust somewhat over time, but I thought it may be beneficial to point this out to those who like me aren’t getting any younger.

kezo
                                          Participant

Even when riding bikes the small mirrors gave better perception. The other important thing to note is, if one got damaged it would almost certainly be an insurance claim. With standard mirrors you can easily replace broken glass cheaply yourself or even get a cheaper sticky backed glass, that stick to the broken one.

That said, hats off to Hyundai with their interior screen placement, compared to the Audi Etron GT’s

MFillingham
                                            Participant

I actually like the screen placement and, if they were more common, would consider the cameras but living in a relatively poor town, I feel they could be liable to targeting from the feckless and jealous youths.  That said, if I was offered a car that had them and given a decent deal on the camera price, I could be persuaded.

Mark

kezo
                                              Participant

I actually like the screen placement and, if they were more common, would consider the cameras but living in a relatively poor town, I feel they could be liable to targeting from the feckless and jealous youths. That said, if I was offered a car that had them and given a decent deal on the camera price, I could be persuaded.

You can guarantee the the dickheads would consider them as a target!

Asides the mirrors, Hyundai have a useful feature of being able to activate the reverse camera when driving. A fearure I use alot 🙂

Callmejohn
                                                Participant

I actually like the screen placement and, if they were more common, would consider the cameras but living in a relatively poor town, I feel they could be liable to targeting from the feckless and jealous youths. That said, if I was offered a car that had them and given a decent deal on the camera price, I could be persuaded.

You can guarantee the the dickheads would consider them as a target! Asides the mirrors, Hyundai have a useful feature of being able to activate the reverse camera when driving. A fearure I use alot 🙂

Yes I agree, you can do it with my Kia Optima and when going on holiday and the estate was full to capacity, I used it as a centre rear mirror. I think the 360 camera is an excellent addition, especially if driving a hand controlled car.

Ioniq
                                                  Participant

I dont know about other cars, but am disappointed by the Ioniq 5 cameras. They are excellent when the lenses are clean and dry.

But in the rain, they are pretty much useless. I dont know if the digital door mirrors are shielded or have a wash system to keep them clean.

The Hyundai blind spot monitor on turn signal is brilliant, I guess the air stream keeps the rain off them.

The 360 cameras are not much good when its wet and raining though.

kezo
                                                    Participant

I dont know about other cars, but am disappointed by the Ioniq 5 cameras. They are excellent when the lenses are clean and dry. But in the rain, they are pretty much useless. I dont know if the digital door mirrors are shielded or have a wash system to keep them clean. The Hyundai blind spot monitor on turn signal is brilliant, I guess the air stream keeps the rain off them. The 360 cameras are not much good when its wet and raining though.

Much the same on other mainstream cars. Rain X or Autofinesse Caramics glass protection kit, which I now use. It uses a Si02 coating and last upto 12 months allso  usefull for the rear window, with no wiper. Kit will last 3yr if you only did camera’s, front and rear windows only. Cheaper on Ebay.

Eyesight update …. After reading about the effects of “Presbyopia” I checked my last eye test with my optician this morning and my close vision focus is okay showing no excessive degeneration. My check up may cost me a new pair of glasses though because she said she could improve my prescription and “every little helps”.

Today was the big day …. I went to the dealership and had my first cup of coffee, and then test drove a brand new unregistered I0niq 6 Ultimate. It had light grey interior and digital camera side ‘mirrors’. It was quite wet but the mirrors were clear and captured a precise image. I concentrated hard on looking at the inside screens rather than outside but I still found myself looking outside occasionally. The ride was excellent on bendy country B roads, and then onto a stretch of wider dual bypass before heading back into the city.

Having had a long drive in a ‘5’ previously (again with digital cameras) I expected the ‘6’ to be impressive and it was.

So back to the dealership for another cup of coffee while we discussed the order.

Specs:

Ioniq 6 Ultimate

Biophilic Blue Pearl with Autoglym life shine protection

Light grey interior also with Autoglym protection

Digital camera side mirrors…..I know, I know, lol ….. explanation follows!

While the paperwork was being seen to I discussed build times for what they described as a “rare colour choice” and the manager went to his office to check it out. He returned a few minutes later to ask how I felt about paying extra for digital camera mirrors as he had found one biophilic blue pearl with light grey interior that is being built this week and would be delivered to the dealership at the end of January …. but …. it was specced with digital cameras. I pointed out that my vehicle hand over date wasn’t until the middle of March but he said that they would be happy to store it for me if I was interested. I asked about a build date for a car with standard mirrors and he said his best “guess’ would be the end of May.

Now…. I’d already told the Motability specialist earlier that I might well contact her and add the digital camera side mirror option but I wanted a bit more time to think about it. I commented during the test drive about how ‘posh’ the twin display was on each end of the dash in comparison with just blank end spaces when normal mirrors were fitted, so I guess I was already half way to being persuaded to splash out another ‘grand’, lol. The certainty of having the car built this week as opposed to a “wait and see’ scenario, and the extra stress involved with uncertainty and possible delays swung the deal.

So everything is signed and sealed and I’m now at home with a big smile on my face. My new four wheeled friend will be ‘born’ later this week. Cheers!

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 136 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.