How to run your electric car for £11 a month

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

As household spending comes under more pressure than ever, smart charging your electric vehicle means the average British driver could run their car for £11 a month, according to EV smart charging provider Ohme.

With petrol and diesel pump prices already 27% higher than the start of the year, there has never been a better time for drivers to save on their motoring costs by switching to an electric vehicle.

But while drivers can save money simply by switching from petrol or diesel to an electric vehicle, even larger savings can be had by then smart charging that EV using one of the many off peak tariffs on offer from energy providers.

“Ohme’s smart chargers can connect with the national grid in real time and automatically adjust their charging for drivers to take advantage of all the times of low price charging with smart electricity tariffs,” said Ohme CEO David Watson.

“The result is that EV drivers can potentially run their car for less than £130 a year by smart charging their EV with an Ohme charger. For some petrol or diesel cars that could be what some drivers are paying for a single tank of fuel, but here it’s for a full year of EV driving.”

Off peak electricity tariffs enable drivers to charge their EVs for a certain amount of hours each day, often overnight, at a much lower cost than their standard rate of electricity. Rates can be as low as 7.5 pence per kWh, compared to the Ofgem energy price cap of 28 pence per kWh.

At 7.5 pence per kWh, it means that a typical UK driver’s annual mileage of 6800 miles in an average EV could cost just £127.50 – less than £11 per month.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Richard

I’m currently paying 15p/kwh peak & 5p/kwh off peak with Octopus. Off peak being 20:30-01:30

James

@Richard enjoy it while that lasts, have you seen the renewal prices on octopus

Ldc7080

What a lazy article.   Half the country on capped tariff and can get nowhere near this !   Also just cause it’s cheaper to top up your car what’s the premium for the other 20 hours in the day ?

Elliot
            Participant

The days of electric cars being cheap to run are disappearing rapidly. If it wasn’t for the company I work for picking up the bill for charging my car up I would have already switched back to either a diesel or petrol car. The savings in running cost to me are insignificant compared with the inconvenience of having to charge up while on the road.

Peter

I’m in the North East and my Octopus Go tariff has just ended.  For the last year I have been paying:

Off Peak (00:30 to 04:30)  5p / kWh

Peak 14.99p / kWh

Standing Charge 25p / Day

My new Octopus Go tariff prices for one year (June 2022 to June 2023 are:

Off Peak (00:30 to 04:30)  7.5p / kWh

Peak 33.75p / kWh

Standing Charge 48.65p / Day

All above prices include VAT.

I use spreadsheets to work all of my costings out and, based upon my actual usage this last year, my electricity costs are going to double.  Just over, in fact.  I suppose one good thing is that I won’t have to worry about the October increase.  My gas is also with Octopus but, luckily, my prices are fixed under a two year deal until June 2023.  I will worry about that in a year’s time.

Ian

I’m with Octopus Go similar cheap tariff until Aug then expecting increases as stated.

I am edging towards installing batteries to my solar and charging them using cheap overnight tariff and Solar.

Challenge I have is it costs 6k for batteries which buys a lot of electricity. Not sure whether to go for it

Coastalview

There are no more new cheap deals for EV owners anymore .My enforced supplier EDF wants over £400 a month for such a tariff.

If you are on such a tariff then enjoy it whilst you can.As they will hunt you down and they will empty your Bank Account to bolster their ever expanding profits margins and provide extra VAT for the Government.

kbfern

Not worth getting a split price deal for me as I only do about 4-5k miles a year so only charge the car once a week for around 4-5 hrs so just pay 28p Kwhr. Most of my electricity used is the other 20hrs a day and split rates would be 35p or so an hour for the 20hrs so saving would be negligible.

Still saving a lot though as my last car Tiguan diesel did around 38mph and would now cost about £47 for 200 miles where electric £15 for same miles.

MFillingham
                      Participant

I’m forced to use a pre-pay meter which means elevated rates.  After all that, I can charge the car for less than £5 using the 3 pin plug charger.  However, with supermarket free charging my total cost of travel, even on my currently limited mileage (less than 140 miles per week) I’m running on just over £10 per month.  If I was working and having to travel to and from the office, it’d increase substantially depending on mileage.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                        I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Pete Townsend

I have a Hyundai Ioniq EV.

I use free chargers (22kw)

My fuel costs are zero.

They are there,if you do a little research. 👀

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.