How things have changed

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Just to illustrate the sharp and rapid decline in the Motability scheme over the past few months, I have just checked my short list from March when we ordered our current car and compared it to the situation today, just 8 months later;

Audi Q3 – Removed from Scheme

Mercedes GLA – Removed from Scheme

Ford Kuga ST-Line X PHEV – AP has increased by £950

Volkswagen Tiguan Elegance – Removed from Scheme

Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge – AP has increased by £1,200

BMW X1 20i xLine 4WD – AP has increased by £500

If we were ordering today we would still choose the same car, which thankfully is still available and has ‘only’ gone up by £500, but what a massive difference in just 8 months. I’m very relieved that we didn’t extend our previous lease.

Only time will tell if the cull in vehicle choice and the massive AP hikes are down to the chip crisis or, as I fear, only part of the cause and masking a much bigger issue.

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Glos Guy
      Participant

Great plan Vinalspin. As I keep reminding people, even a runabout with zero AP costs £10k over 3 years. You can do a lot with that money on the second hand market. I’m once bought a second hand top spec BMW 7 Series for £10k and sold it a year later at a small profit!

Glos Guy
        Participant

Well, with the removal of the X1 today, I have just trawled through the current list to see what we would order if we were eligible to do so today and concluded that we would be leaving the scheme.

There are a few that, if we weren’t in to our cars and had no other option but to source a car through Motability, ‘would probably do’ (such as the Ford Kuga and VW Tiguan) but none that we would actually ‘want’ or be even remotely excited about ordering.

Thankfully, we don’t have to worry until Spring 2024, by which time hopefully the new X1 might be on the scheme (as long as it’s not just the low spec, small engine variants), but if things don’t improve dramatically I fear that our current Motability car could be our last.

fwippers
          Participant

Well, with the removal of the X1 today, I have just trawled through the current list to see what we would order if we were eligible to do so today and concluded that we would be leaving the scheme. There are a few that, if we weren’t in to our cars and had no other option but to source a car through Motability, ‘would probably do’ (such as the Ford Kuga and VW Tiguan) but none that we would actually ‘want’ or be even remotely excited about ordering. Thankfully, we don’t have to worry until Spring 2024, by which time hopefully the new X1 might be on the scheme (as long as it’s not just the low spec, small engine variants), but if things don’t improve dramatically I fear that our current Motability car could be our last.

I have say that if it was not the attraction of going electric, I would probably extend my lease. There are precious few offerings at present which appeal, some which would “do”, but many that come with huge AP´s.

Glos Guy
            Participant

I have say that if it was not the attraction of going electric, I would probably extend my lease. There are precious few offerings at present which appeal, some which would “do”, but many that come with huge AP´s.

I’m not a fan of lease extensions fwippers. I struggle with the notion of paying over £6k more to drive an ‘old’ car for its 4th and 5th year, on top of the £10k (plus AP plus options) that we have already paid for the first 3 years, even with the increased GCB. I’d feel as though I had bought the car after all of that outlay, yet you still hand it back with nothing to show for it! The attraction of Motability for me is getting a new car every 3 years.

I’m not as optimistic as most that the current appalling choice is solely down to the chip shortage and that things will improve significantly next year. It’s certainly a factor but I think that we are also seeing a repositioning of the scheme and not in a positive direction.

I’m relieved that we can now sit back and watch what happens to the scheme over the next few years. If things haven’t drastically improved by the time that we are 6 months from the end of our current lease, I think we might start looking at going private again, in which case we can get whatever we want (within reason) and not what we are ‘allowed’.

fwippers
              Participant

I spoke with Motability today to clarify a few bits before I sign on the dotted line. They are confident the chip problem will be resolved and delivery times will be back to normal by next summer. They expect more electric offerings next year. On the 1st point I don´t share what is an over optimistic view, and with the second, with more and more new electric cars coming to the market, logically choice will increase.  Here is a link to a CARWOW video suggesting smaller cheaper cars are on the way out and the possible ramifications.

Why car firms won’t be making cheap small cars anymore! – YouTube

Glos Guy
                Participant

The chip shortage is obviously a temporary glitch and will resolve itself eventually. Next summer seems like a reasonable guess though. My point is that I’m not sure that this is the sole reason for the decimation in choice on the Motability scheme.

Choice of EV’s will naturally increase, but they aren’t for everyone yet. This forum isn’t at all representative of the market. With the number of threads about EV’s and the number of members talking about getting them, it could be easy to think that the majority of people are making the switch to electric now. The reality is very different though, with only 1 in 20 people currently making the switch to electric.

Leaving aside the concerns that many have about the practicality of them (limited range, inability to charge at home, charging infrastructure etc) the choice of them on Motability at present is fine if you want a small car, but many of us need a larger vehicle to cart around wheelchairs, luggage etc. There isn’t a single EV on the scheme yet that would tick all our boxes or even remotely appeal to us. Hopefully that situation will resolve itself over the coming years.

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.