How old is your television ?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

My Samsung in the lounge is 10 years old but alas not smart shame as still a lovely picture 

Viewing 19 replies - 126 through 144 (of 144 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

TCL C745 mini LED £599 55″ – punches well above it weight

ajn

John Lewis saying Black Friday sales all month, so yes Mike worth waiting, 😆 I’m holding out

Participant

Yes I’ve had email of John Lewis I’m a member and had email off richer sounds hang on in there

Participant

TCL C745 mini LED £599 55″ – punches well above it weight

yes very good reviews Kezo

Participant

Kezo if I get an LG Oled I cannot get on with the magic remote could you please give me a link to a normal LG remote with no wheel on amazon or eBay many thanks . Just to work with Oled I’m not worried about the voice control just for tv functions

kezo
                Participant

Kezo if I get an LG Oled I cannot get on with the magic remote could you please give me a link to a normal LG remote with no wheel on amazon or eBay many thanks . Just to work with Oled I’m not worried about the voice control just for tv functions

You can disable the “Magic” part and use as a normal remote 🙂

I still standby the Hisense if its cheaper (599) BF.

Participant

Yes Kezo I’d be silly to not wait for Black Friday now however if any offers come up before I will ask for your advice before I buy many thanks have a lovely day

ajn

Have you got a short list of the TV’s of interest Mike, I do like the Samsung Air slim type, also LG got some thin type..

Obviously OLED are great, but comes at a price or some make I’ve never heard of or have confidence in, even though badges could be a foolish approach I feel peace of mind is important too..

kezo
                      Participant

Obviously OLED are great, but comes at a price or some make I’ve never heard of or have confidence in, even though badges could be a foolish approach I feel peace of mind is important too..

Remember where LG (GoldStar merged with Lucky Chem to become Lucky Goldstar then what is known today LG). Well Hisense and TCL are going at a faster pace than LG did.

TCL from 2021 made most the LCD panels for Samsung. The TCL 745 is as good as the much pricer Samsung.

Hisense use OLED panels from LG, as do 99% of OLED TV manufacturers.

Alot of entry level TV’s use LCD panels made by other companies, so yes your paying for badge in many instances.

Its similar to iphone’s that are made by Foxconn and Luxshare. Luxshare did the 14 pro and both Foxconn and Luxshare are making the 15pro max aongside eachother. Traditionally Foxconn made mass produced iphones.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by kezo.
                        Participant

Samsung QN85c  55 inch with 5 year warranty at Samsung £719

ajn

Yes I like that Samsung, getting a bit confused to what’s on offer tbh, my thinking is lcd back lit ok in its day however would be better off going for a mini led, or a q Ned,q led or better still a oled, however then you get into q led evo type stuff going upto £25.000..

Suddenly q led/mini led sounds great

Participant

Hisense 55 inch mini led now £549 at Costco

kezo
                              Participant
                                kezo
                                Participant

Yes I like that Samsung, getting a bit confused to what’s on offer tbh, my thinking is lcd back lit ok in its day however would be better off going for a mini led, or a q Ned,q led or better still a oled, however then you get into q led evo type stuff going upto £25.000.. Suddenly q led/mini led sounds great

Evo are next generation OLEDs by LG. Samsung calls them QD OLED  and so on. They are extremely bright, perhaps too bright and expensive.

LCD is the panel/screen type, which require a back light. Older TV’s like your use cold cathode fluorescent lamps as the backlight. Newer ones use LED as a backlight. This type of TV can be edge lit, backlit or have an array of local dimming zones. These TV’s produce 300-600 nits peak brightness

QLED or Quantum dot what ever the manufacturer calls it, is a LED backlit LCD TV as above, that also use electrically charged semoconducturs nanocrystals (quantum dots) layer. A quantum Dot TV produces brighter and more vibrant and accurate colours. As above it can be edge lit, backlit or have local dimming zones. These TV produce 300-800 nit peak brightness.

A Mini LED TV uses an LCD screen but, use miniture LED’s as a backlight. The use of mini LED’s allows the manufacturer to use more LEDs as a backlight. They are alot brighter than the above TV’s producing between 900 – 2000 nits peak brightness, making them even brighter and perhaps the bigger advantage is they have far more local array dimming zones upwards of 150 depending on the price you pay. They also use Quantum Dot technology.

An OLED TV does not need an LCD screen or backlight. OLED (organic light emitting diodes) produce there own light  on a thin panel, that has a much harder glass/perspex outer layer making them easier to clean. Each pixel on an OLED TV has four individual subpixels (WRGB), which are never all on at the same time. OLEDs are able to individually dim, turn on or off pixels, resulting in an infinite contrast ratio that produces deep and inky blacks and a better overall image. Due to the ability to dim, turn on or off each of the 8,294,400 to create indvidual local dimming zones, thus does not suffer any picture blooming as the other tv types and provides an even spread of light throghout the screen. 99% of OLEDS use screens manufacturerd by LG. OLED’s like the Hisense A85 and LG C1/2 produce aeound 800 nits peak brightness.

EVO, QD OLED use a much bigger heat sink or slighty different subpixel layout. These TV’s can produce the same peak brightness as seen in mini LED’s, whils’t retaining a stunning pictue quality. I have the first of LG’s EVO panels (LG G1), that is said to be 20% brighter than a traditional OLED. To my naked eye I can’t really tell much of a difference and certainly not 20% worth compared to my old OLED. Of course the later ones will be massively brighter but retain the same picture quality and as you said they are expensive.

One of the main benifits of an OLED is they take the guess work out of choosing a TV because, you can’t get a bad one – the picture quality will look much the same as the next with a narrower gap between manufactures compared to LCD type’s which can be mind field choosing one. However each persons budget dictates what they can afford and get the best for their £’s

ajn

Thanks kezo for the info, I’ll need to read it a few times as it slowly filters bit by bit into the bonce..

OLED do look amazing, however also seems over bright on some screens (light sensitive left eye probs) when viewing in store…

That blue kids film with the massive ear weirdos don’t help it’s just a blue screen difficult to see any difference,  same goes for that barbie pink film again over bright for me and totally fake unrealistic to make a judgement..

Mrs aj said imagine watching a long film that bright 😵‍💫🤕🤯..

Im so in the dark ages with this TV stuff, you can tell ours is hardly used..

kezo
                                    Participant

Thanks kezo for the info, I’ll need to read it a few times as it slowly filters bit by bit into the bonce.. OLED do look amazing, however also seems over bright on some screens (light sensitive left eye probs) when viewing in store… That blue kids film with the massive ear weirdos don’t help it’s just a blue screen difficult to see any difference, same goes for that barbie pink film again over bright for me and totally fake unrealistic to make a judgement.. Mrs aj said imagine watching a long film that bright 😵‍💫🤕🤯.. Im so in the dark ages with this TV stuff, you can tell ours is hardly used..

Most TV’s in stores like curry’s are in unatural store mode or vivid mode, which is far from a true perception how it will look in your home. Add to that all the lighting in these stores its not the best way to buy a TV.

Most if not all TV’s today, have whats called a light sensor that automatically dims the brightness depending on how much lighting you use at home at night.

Worth noting if your TV was not very bright to start off with you wouldn’t see it well in bright daylight shining in your room, nor wold you benifit from HDR. Hence one of the reasons they automatically dim at night as the lights go out. So no need for sunglasses 😂

Its a shame you haven’t got somewhere like Richer Sounds near you as you can view as you would at home better.

kezo
                                      Participant

Can anyone remember having a LCD TV and going round a family member or friends house who had a Plasma TV and think WOW, well OLED is an advancement on Plama 😉

Participant

Can anyone remember having a LCD TV and going round a family member or friends house who had a Plasma TV and think WOW, well OLED is an advancement on Plama 😉

yes plasma fab picture had in Wetherspoons

Participant

Kezo surely all makes of Oled very good picture ?

Viewing 19 replies - 126 through 144 (of 144 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.