How much is your BEV or PHEV saving you per month?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165233 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Just had a look at my monthly bank statement and I spent £180 on petrol this month. I’m guessing but I think a PHEV would cut this sum by 50% and obviously a full bev would have saved a lot more.

So how much do you reckon your EV is saving you per month?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165234 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

How much a month is dependant on how many miles you drive!

15k miles in the Kona has cost me just under £500, around £33 for 1000 miles or £17 a tank full in the BMW.

The BMW that would have cost me £1765 at £1.31 a litre, my charging costs are high though, mainly on commercial chargers.

A better way to work it out is how much does it cost you to drive 1 mile.  Currently, for me it’s 3.25p, moving house soon and will be able to charge from home then, so hopefully, I will get my costs down by half.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Intranicity.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Intranicity.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#165240 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i mate in france has just got a phev.. skoda i think… he says if running about on smaller runs he has topped 200mls per gallon, and is delighted with it. he can charge it at his work and home.

#165247 Reply
    bfoandc

I was just looking in detail at one journey made mostly on twisting, steep climbing/descending single track roads with our Kona EV. The journey was 39.5 miles. This worked out, using our standard electric unit price, at circa 3p a mile.
    Our previous petrol vehicle over similar roads would struggle to get to 35 mpg. By my reckoning, as fuel is always more expensive here, that journey would have cost circa 17 p a mile. This gives a difference on each mile of 14p.
    Our annual mileage is circa 8,000 so that saving of 14p per mile will give an annual saving of over £1100! My sums may be slightly out but prior to getting the EV various articles gave 4p a mile as a ‘guide’ cost so I guess my figures aren’t wildly wrong.
    Incidentally, whenever I read anything about EVs one common opinion is that the ‘claimed’ range isn’t a real range. In our experience, from the Kona, the range shown is pretty much accurate.

#165262 Reply
    Brydo

Sounds brilliant guys, I do about 8,000 miles a year and 90% of my journeys are less than 20 miles round trip.

#165273 Reply
    Ian

Just driven 180 miles from Lake District to Leeds and back to watch a band.

Grabbed a free charge in Leeds in the carpark next to the venue, think its cost me about £5

#165274 Reply
    Brydo

Brilliant Ian 👍

#165279 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

VW Tiguan monthly cost was around £90 a month, Soul EV cost is around £15.

We mainly do short drives but often which is what hurt the MPG in the VW but the soul loves these trips as it helps boost the range. On average i charge at home twice a month which is a good 600 miles in the summer months and around 500 in winter averaging 5.4 miles per KWH. I tend to plug in now wherever its free regardless of length of stay just because i can lol.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#165291 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Sound’s like your journey type is similar to mine Stuart.

Thats a great saving your making.

The Soul is my guilty pleasure, i know its a bit “marmite” for some but i like it ……. a lot.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#165292 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Just had a look at my monthly bank statement and I spent £180 on petrol this month. I’m guessing but I think a PHEV would cut this sum by 50% and obviously a full bev would have saved a lot more. So how much do you reckon your EV is saving you per month?

Brydo you don’t state your mileage covered £180 is a lot of money, we have been on a 3 week holiday towing down to the New Forest in Hampshire, we covered a total of 733miles, 356 of those miles towing a 1500kg caravan our total cost approximately £90, however we still have a full fuel tank which should now last us till sometime in November. Changing to a PHEV our fuel cost have dropped dramatically including electric to less than a third over the last 15 month we have saved around £900.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#165293 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Sounds brilliant guys, I do about 8,000 miles a year and 90% of my journeys are less than 20 miles round trip.

Sorry Brydo missed this post, over the past 15 months we have covered 8627 miles over 2000 of those miles towing a caravan our total fuel bill including electric to date £649.96, average out to £43.33, it shame I don’t have a full EV

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#165295 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

I spent around £4300 a year on fuel for the S-Max (before Covid) at 41.5mpg. About £360 a month at current pricing.

Doing the same mileage in the Soul EV at my average of 3.8 miles per KW would cost me £376 per year charging at home on Octopus Go. Or, £31 a month.

Even if I went on some longer journeys, say, 1500 miles a year,  and paid 50p/kw for rapid charging it would still only add £16.50 a month to the overall costs.

I’ve had the Soul EV since the end of July & done 1800 miles so far, I’m still only charging at rapid chargers & so far its cost me £0, yup, nil, nowt, nada.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#165297 Reply
    brydo

Even if you hate the thought of an EV.

Even if you are the biggest petrol head out there.

Even if you don’t believe in global warming.

You can’t help to be impressed by the cost savings above.

Want an EV but can’t charge at home, check out your local free tesco, asda etc chargers, contact your local council and ask about getting chargers in your street, the government has a fund to help councils fit them.

Cheap EV driving will only last for another few years before pay per driven mile comes in MAKE THE MOST OF IT and if you can, go EV.

#165311 Reply
    matt9815
    Participant

Even if you hate the thought of an EV. Even if you are the biggest petrol head out there. Even if you don’t believe in global warming. You can’t help to be impressed by the cost savings above. Want an EV but can’t charge at home, check out your local free tesco, asda etc chargers, contact your local council and ask about getting chargers in your street, the government has a fund to help councils fit them. Cheap EV driving will only last for another few years before pay per driven mile comes in MAKE THE MOST OF IT and if you can, go EV.

I am and always have been a real petrol head. Had various cars from big engine V6/8/10 to smaller tuned affairs. Love the sound they make. Love the feel of driving them. In fact, I’m such a petrol head I bought a petrol mower for our small lawn, a petrol hedge trimmer, I even tried to convince my wife once that we needed a petrol power washer! I love the smell of it, the noise they make, everything!

Therefore, you can imagine my wife’s confusion when I suggested the ID3. It’s completely changed my mindset. It’s a brilliant car, yes the range displayed is a bit of a guessometer, but I never drove my ICE vehicle with the range showing constantly as that was never correct. I don’t have a home charger, but I can slow charge free locally or rapid charge at Lidl/Tesco for just 25p/kwh. That’s only 5p more than my home rate, and even if did have a home charger it would only be a 7kw one. I can plug in at Lidl once a week, do some shopping, charge the car for about £7 and I’m set for the week. I would previously have spent around £30 a week in the ICE car.

BEV really works well for us, and I don’t want to go back.

#165318 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

I used to spend £160 on diesel per month but now I spend £93 on Electric that’s my standing order but that covers my house too which used to be £78 per month I do however pay £110 just to be on the safe side

a d that’s for double the mileage I used to do this month was 1204 miles with the diesel was around 650 month

it’s brilliant long may it last

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Windy.
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: How much is your BEV or PHEV saving you per month?
Your information: