How much gas/electric are you using?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

I sent in my meter readings just in time for the drop in prices and I received my amended balance for the year of -£175 a day later. I was interested to see my total usage for the year was 16,500 kWh for gas and 5,500 kWh for electricity.

The gas usage I expected but my electricity was a fair bit higher than I expected, that was until I remembered that I had begun charging my plug-in hybrid earlier last year as the free chargers in the area dried up 😩.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DumfriesDik
      Participant

We are high users.

Electric for last year was nearly 7,000kWh and I just don’t know where it all goes. There is only the two of us plus the car which used 2,200kWh.

Gas will be high as well, can’t find the usage just now. Sleepy!!

I have a lot of home automation, including LED lighting and smart heating radiator valves.

Hence the drive for solar to take some of the weight off. But not sure if that is viable. Got another quote coming for that.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Phaedra
        Participant

Just had a new boiler fitted and gas usage is up!.  It’s a Baxi Assure 530 2 30Kwh

My previous Remeha Avanta Plus was only a 22Kwh and used to run nicely with the temp set at 17c during the day or 15c overnight, this one is nowhere near as warm so it’s set at 18c during the day at a minimum.

Water temperatures are set at 65c for CH and 50c for HW which is where the Remeha was also set.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Oscarmax
          Participant

Import 2971.40 kWh @10/12 pence

Export 3025.97 kWh @ 15 pence

Gas 9223.83 kWh @ average 4 pence

Brydo
            Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@DumfriesDik you are high users, I similarly don’t really know where our usage goes. We do have a number of large-screen TVs but it’s only the two of also and we use the air fryer or microwave a lot of the time add to this a couple of dishwasher cycles each week and washings and that’s about it, nearly forgot the plug-in hybrid which uses about 1000kwh per year and the wives ice maker, that’s on about 15 hours a day.</p>

@Phaedra
              that’s not good you would hope/expect a new boiler to lower your gas bills.

In preparation of an air source heat pump install I have been running the radiators at 50*C to achieve 21.5*C whole house temperature and, nothing to do with the heat pump, running the hot water at 45*C.

Your 30kwh is for the hot water, you will find your rating for the radiators is likely to be 24ish kwh.

Brydo
              Participant

@Oscarmax i like your numbers 👍

Brydo
                Participant

Something else of importance is the company you are with and the Tariff you are on. I’m with Octopus but have no smart meters, yet, so on the basic variable rate 26.82 p per kWh for electric and 7.02 p per kWh. This was before the recent drop.

Oscarmax
                  Participant

PHEV according to my PodPoint APP 1817.3 kWh, since we changed over from the Outlander PHEV to the Suzuki Across PHEV we have noticed our an increase from about 1200 to 1800 kWh however, we have not filled up with petrol since the 25th November 2023 approximately  4 1/2 months, with the Outlander in the cold weather we would rap up and sparringly use the heater as it would drop from 26 to 14 in the cold weather, with the  Suzuki we have left the heating and air con all winter we decided we had enough of freezing it only drops from 62 to around 54/55 in the winter.

Brydo
                    Participant

As I’m without smart meters I am having an educated guess at 1,000 kwh for the plug-in.

Oscarmax
                      Participant

My understanding if you change to Octopus smart tariffs you will need a smart meter.

Brydo
                        Participant

That’s the plan Oscarmax, once I decide the equipment I’m putting in the house I will have a chat about the best tariff for my situation. Got a final installer coming tomorrow to give me a price for ASHP, solar and battery storage. If the quote is north of £20,000 I will more than likely go for battery storage on its own.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Brydo.

joss

We are high users of energy. Edit: Just to be clear. These figures are from January 2024 to date of this post.

Cost to date 2024 £595.20 kWh 4879.96 joint Gas & Electric

Electricity    Electricity
                            1318.15 KWh
                            £347.35

Gas                Gas
                            3561.81kwh
                            £247.85
                            kWh to date

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by joss. Reason: Edit

Joss
                            Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Participant

Our annual electricity usage is 9740kwh and our gas use is 16842kwh.

We don’t have an electric vehicle but I do have a pretty well equipped workshop in the garden.

Brydo
                              Participant

@Willis are you growing the good stuff 🚬  😂

Oscarmax
                                Participant

We are high users of energy. Cost to date 2024 £595.20 kWh 4879.96 joint Gas & Electric Electricity Electricity 1318.15 KWh £347.35 Gas Gas 3561.81kwh £247.85 kWh to date

Our Use/Cost for 2024 to date:

Export Octopus Fixed 408.55 kWh @ 15p = £61.28

Import Octopus Agile 946.57 kWh = £106.12

Gas Octopus Tracker 4297.38 kWh = £170.57

To Date £215.41

Phaedra
                                  Participant

Just had my March bill from Octopus,

Electricity 3rd March 2024 – 31st March 2024 – £74.55
                                    Gas 3rd March 2024 – 31st March 2024 – £57.90

Electricity

7.14p/kWh 178.6 kWh £12.754
                                    28.17p/kWh 152.5 kWh £42.953
                                    Total consumption 331.0kWh @ 16.83p/kWh † £55.71
                                    Standing Charge 29 days @ 52.75p/day £15.30

Gas

3rd March 2024 762.1 Smart meter reading
                                    1st April 2024 822.3 Smart meter reading
                                    Consumption 60.2 Units (m3)
                                    Energy Used* 680.2 kWh @ 6.99p/kWh £47.55
                                    Standing Charge 29 days @ 26.16p/day £7.59

Total bill, including 2 days for April is £141.21

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Brydo
                                    Participant

Guys, could you say which tariff you are on as I really need to familiarise myself with the different choices available?

Oscarmax are you on a tariff for gas and a different tariff for electricity?

Participant

@Willis are you growing the good stuff 🚬 😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Unfortunately tomatoes and cucumbers is just about the limit of my growing skills, but I can knock you up a pretty nifty looking wooden gate or two if required! 😂

Participant

Guys, could you say which tariff you are on as I really need to familiarise myself with the different choices available? Oscarmax are you on a tariff for gas and a different tariff for electricity?

We are on flexible Octopus and the charges have just gone down to 23.77p per kWh for electric and 5.9p per kWh for gas.
                                          The standing charges are 53.94 and 29.94p per day respectively

Brydo
                                          Participant

Willis, do you have smart meters and any solar, battery storage or an EV?

How is it working for you?

Does Octopus ever contact you to say you would be better off on one of their other tariffs?

Funny you should mention gates I’m thinking of building an extension 😂

Participant

We don’t currently have solar or battery storage (although I have been looking into it recently) and definitely don’t have EV.

I do stay on top of what we are paying for gas and electric and our current deal is the best price we can get. Octopus have offered a couple of fix deals but they are all more expensive than what we currently pay. They do have a tracker rate, where your prices will track wholesale market prices but you need a smart meter to be on that rate, which we don’t have. The tracker rate has proved to be a bit cheaper than the standard Octopus rate recently but can go up or down at any point.

I pay my bill each month with variable amounts rather than averaging it out over the year, which means very large bills in the winter and low bills in then summer, but it does allow me to monitor my use a bit more. I am avoiding a smart meter for as long as I possibly can but will probably be forced onto one eventually.

Oscarmax
                                              Participant

Guys, could you say which tariff you are on as I really need to familiarise myself with the different choices available? Oscarmax are you on a tariff for gas and a different tariff for electricity?

Octopus Agile for import

Octopus Fixed for export

Octopus Tracker for gas

Brydo
                                                Participant

@Willis I am almost certainly moving to a smart meter as, if and when I get my battery in, there are more tariff options available. It might be worth getting your pencil out and do some calculations to see if any would actually save you money.

@Oscarmax
                                                  I had no idea you could mix and match tariffs in this way, it’s good to know and it certainly looks like it works for you 👍

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.