How long can I out of the country without losing car

• Creator
    Topic
  • #189129 Reply
    James

Hopefully this question is allowed, I suppose it’s car related because I don’t want to lose our motability car

We are just buying a house in France so want to know how long we can be out of the country in a single trip and how many trips / days we could be away a year

This is more around not losing pip than us taking our car with us because the plan is to fly out and have a car there

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #189138 Reply
    joss

Taking your vehicle abroad

From Motability web site. https://www.motability.co.uk/your-lease/taking-your-vehicle-abroad/

You are allowed to take your Motability Scheme vehicle abroad for up to 12 months to a country within the European Union and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. There are, however, a few important documents that you will need to take with you. The 12-month limit is due DVLA changes following Brexit.

Residence and presence

From the PIP handbook. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-fact-sheets/pip-handbook

Claimants will need to be present in Great Britain, habitually resident in the United Kingdom (UK), Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and not subject to immigration control.

They must have been present for at least 104 weeks out of the last 156 weeks in Great Britain.

We treat serving members of Her Majesty’s Forces and their families as habitually resident in Great Britain when serving and stationed abroad.

A temporary absence abroad for up to 13 weeks may be allowed, or up to 26 weeks if the absence is specifically for medical treatment. The claimant should notify us if they are planning to go abroad for 4 weeks or more.

The PIP residence and presence conditions are the same as those for Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Attendance Allowance and Carer’s Allowance.

I hope this helps @James

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#189167 Reply
    James

@joss thanks that’s brilliant, we are hoping to spend around 12 weeks a year there so that will be fine

#189184 Reply
    joss

Glad to be of assistance @James

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: How long can I out of the country without losing car
Your information: