How far can you go on a full tank/charge?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #177179 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I’m away for a few days so filled the xc40 to full, £60 ish, got in and was astonished to see a 360 miles range indicated. I have never filled it to full before so was a bit shocked. Previously I’ve always had diesel cars with ranges in the 500 mile bracket.

With many EVs giving 300 miles is range anxiety only for diesel car drivers as petrol seems to be giving similar range?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #177365 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Ours was 2 wheel drive Glos Guy, so you might struggle to match it.

For those of a technical bent, the B48 engine has two tricks to maximise gas flow through the engine. First, it doesn’t use a throttle body but has a third camshaft to give variable lift to the inlet valves instead. Secondly it uses a twin scroll turbo allowing even pulses by pairing the cylinders in separate paths through the exhaust manifold.

I don’t know if any other engine does these things. I know Volvo’s don’t.

#177369 Reply
    Jojoe

Skoda Octavia Auto Estate 1L petrol MHEV £55  455 miles

#177377 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Ours was 2 wheel drive Glos Guy, so you might struggle to match it. For those of a technical bent, the B48 engine has two tricks to maximise gas flow through the engine. First, it doesn’t use a throttle body but has a third camshaft to give variable lift to the inlet valves instead. Secondly it uses a twin scroll turbo allowing even pulses by pairing the cylinders in separate paths through the exhaust manifold. I don’t know if any other engine does these things. I know Volvo’s don’t.

None of which means a thing to me Wigwam 😂 All I know is that it’s whisper quiet when driven normally, sounds great when given some beans and yet returns very respectable fuel economy, which is a bonus.

My wife has reminded me that we got 600 miles out of a tank last summer thanks to the combination of a larger fuel tank and good mpg. Only ever had that from a diesel before.

#177381 Reply
    Ian

170 miles £3 Bmw I3s during summer

140 miles £3 winter

#177388 Reply
    struth
    Participant

For instance, today’s general driving returned these figures.

suggests that 300 miles should be manageable; maybe more

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by struth.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#177391 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Struth brilliant info thanks for that 👍

#177392 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

We need as much info as we can guys to let forum members make an informed decision on going EV. Struths info is ideal as it’s first hand info from a trusted regular poster. Please feel free to post as much of this type of info as possible 👍

#177393 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Blimey. You need a science degree to work out what all of that means. I’m sure it’s very good though. My simple brain can cope with miles per gallon 😂

#177395 Reply
    struth
    Participant

lol.. well, 4.91 miles per kwh * 64kwh battery would suggest 314 miles. not bad for winter, although it wasnt especially cold.. about 7c, and i had a variance of speeds from 20 to over 70.

#177396 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

lol.. well, 4.91 miles per kwh * 64kwh battery would suggest 314 miles. not bad for winter, although it wasnt especially cold.. about 7c, and i had a variance of speeds from 20 to over 70.

Thanks Struth! I am under no illusion whatsoever that if cheap running costs are the absolute priority and people can live with the range and charging issues then they are a no brainer. I’m not in that place yet, but in future will have no choice.

#177398 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

if you don’t have an ev just now unfortunately I don’t think you will get a full three years of cheap driving from your next motability ev. I suspect, but I could be wrong, that some form of tax will he introduced in a few years time. The BIK tax for EVs is 2% which is fixed until 2025 after which I suspect tax will increase substantially. I think this will be the time when the government bring in pay as you drive taxes that will apply to us all 😞

#177412 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

if you don’t have an ev just now unfortunately I don’t think you will get a full three years of cheap driving from your next motability ev. I suspect, but I could be wrong, that some form of tax will he introduced in a few years time. The BIK tax for EVs is 2% which is fixed until 2025 after which I suspect tax will increase substantially. I think this will be the time when the government bring in pay as you drive taxes that will apply to us all 😞

I suspect that you are right there Brydo. Although the annual increases in EV and PHEV take up are very big, the fact remains that they still represent less than 3% of the total cars on the road at present. With the record high petrol and diesel prices, the revenue hike that has automatically followed is more than compensating for the lower taxes paid by the small number of EV drivers. Once that balance tips the other way we can be sure that the chancellor of the day will do something to balance the books.

#177439 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

In answer to the original question

Not far but far enough

hope this helps

#177456 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Current mpg average 46mpg x 55ltr tank = 550 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi Exclusive+(chipped 200bhp)

#177470 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Charged overnight to 90% and set off to in-laws in Dundee this morning, with a stop to drop my wife off at her work. Used 16.21kw, average consumption was 3.25kw/m if you believe the app, car says 2.8kw/m. Anyway, did 52 miles at an average of 52mph. Energy consumed by driving was 85%, electronic devices 2%, climate 13%, battery care 0%. Battery now at 64% & 140 miles range left on GOM.

My climate was high as I didn’t precondition the car and it fogged up badly on the way to wife’s work – which it does whenever the wife and dog are in the car, so the fans & A/C all going. Never seen this in any other car with A/C always on, put it down to a puny A/C setup.

I don’t know why the app has wildly different consumption figures to the car, but it may explain the differences being posted by different drivers, I tend to report the car’s dash figure, not the app.

Brydo – you wanted more consumption info…

Driving History 17/1/22 to 15/2/22:

174.78kw used at 3.2m/kw average. 560 miles travelled, 27.12 kw recuperated. £25 spent on electricity.

55 starts, engine on 16h:19m of  which 13h:44m was driving

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#177471 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Would it be that the app is measuring what comes off your electric supply and the car what comes off your battery?  There will be conversion losses.

#177472 Reply
    struth
    Participant

ive been thinking on the differences and have concluded the app is considering the reclaimed braking energy, so is the accurate level. i think this is why there isnt as much difference between 2 when driving on motorway etc as to a mix of highway/town.

#177473 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Abercol “560 miles travelled, 27.12 kw recuperated. £25 spent on electricity.” that would have cost me in the region of £100 min.

Keep up the stats guys and we might eventually move the ICE guys to another thread lol.

#177490 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Well I am fascinated by how much information some of your EV’s give you, mine gives very little away but I do have a very nice picture of the batteries that lights up the dash if required.

Anyway I have calculated some figures which I am sure will make some of you think ev is not worth it but firstly bear I. Mind my car is 5.3 metres long and seats 8 extremely comfortably with enough room for 8 lots of luggage we on the other hand just have 5 seats a nice shaggy rug on the floor a fridge 4 dogs s large wheelchair and a hoist.

So since the 1st September we have travelled 5700 miles in firstly the Peugeot then the Vauxhall but they are identical vehicles so I am going to calculate as one. We have used 3900 kw of electricity this gives us an average of 1.46 miles per KW, you are probably thinking that’s terrible but since September it’s been Autum /winter driving so I reckon on the year we might get nearer the 2 kWh average. So that’s 3900 KW charged at the night rate of 5.5p giving a total cost of £214.50 now if we had our beloved Alhambra which di an actual mileage of 40.6 mpg over the time we had her the cost for the same miles would have been £982.75 so saving £768.75

These are the facts rather than what the car is telling me do I think that’s pretty good obviously we know it’s all going up but luckily I remain on this tariff until the end of August and then hopefully the night rate will be 8.5p still giving a huge saving over the diesel. 👍

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Windy.
    #177499 Reply
    Ian

Hi Windy I still have my heart on a truck like yours just hope they drop a 75kw battery into it to give a few miles extra range

#177501 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Ian I don’t understand why they haven’t done so yet it’s in the Opel but not the E life just the Van but I do have the 11kw charger on board

#177503 Reply
    Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks Windy do you have access to 3 phase charging then?</p>

#177504 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Ian no so don’t need 11 but it was assigned to the order

#177506 Reply
    Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Ah ok, was wondering whether the increased rate would help with need to more frequently charge.</p>
    I’m looking to get the e life elite with the 2nd row as captains chairs with the table.

Is there anything that you think I should be aware of apart from the range as a possible issue?

#177520 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Going on the basis that “only fools and their money are easily parted” it’s good to see that we have very few fool’s on the Forum 👍

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
Reply To: How far can you go on a full tank/charge?
Your information: